Rub A Dub Dub patter for Cups and Balls

A place where beginners can participate, ask questions, and post their views. However, beginners typically ask a lot of questions about sources, tricks, books, and so on. In fact, all magicians are interested (or should be) in the provenance of tricks, ideas, and related matters. This department will service these needs.

Rub A Dub Dub patter for Cups and Balls

Postby Guest » May 2nd, 2005, 9:12 am

Could anyone advise me where to find or purchase Bateman's "Rub A Dub Dub" patter for the cups and balls? Someone said that Michael Skinner often performed this. Did Michael Skinner ever :help: publish his routine?
Thank you, and best regards,
Red

Doug Brewer

Re: Rub A Dub Dub patter for Cups and Balls

Postby Doug Brewer » May 2nd, 2005, 9:15 am

The entire routine and patter were provided in the (somewhat) recent Skinner issue in Genii. This routine has some really magical moments in it, particularly since it uses 5 balls, as opposed to the regular 4.

Postby Guest » May 2nd, 2005, 9:42 am

Thank you for letting me know about the material in Genii. Would you know what Volume and Issue number this would be? Please tell me How do I get one from Genii?
Best regards

Postby Guest » May 2nd, 2005, 10:17 am

Originally posted by RedDiamond:
Thank you for letting me know about the material in Genii. Would you know what Volume and Issue number this would be? Please tell me How do I get one from Genii?
Best regards
November, 2000 (Vol.63,No.11)

Buy it here .

Postby Guest » May 2nd, 2005, 10:34 am

Thanks James,

Have ordered Nov. 2000 back issue ftom Genii.

Any Idea where a copy of the original Bateman patter could be found?

I purchased one from Gene Gordon's Magic Shop in Buffalo, NY in 1951 that came with a set of 3 small red plastic cups and had 4 star-shaped flat pieces of felt, representing the men in the patter, rather than balls.

Best regards,
Ron

Postby Guest » May 2nd, 2005, 12:06 pm

particularly since it uses 5 balls, as opposed to the regular 4.

Jack Bateman's Rub-a-Dub-Dub used 5 balls. The Skinner routine published in Genii is verbatim to the instructions that came with the Bateman routine.

Mike

Doug Brewer

Postby Doug Brewer » May 2nd, 2005, 4:30 pm

Interesting to find the history on this routine. I had someone perform this for me at a restaurant nearly 10 years ago and thought it was clever and deceptive. I didn't have a clue who's it was until I saw the write-up in Genii - then I about fell over . . .

Postby Guest » May 2nd, 2005, 10:05 pm

Thank you Doug and Mike for your help With Rub A Dub Dub.

I have you ever attempted the cups and balls with something different like little fake jewels,
or Imp Bottles?

The Imp Bottles talk a lot, and I wonder if I can cut down on this by using plastic tumblers lined with black foam. There is a type of plastic disposable cup that is shaped to have room when nested. Also doing it on a foam close-up pad would cut down noise.

You can go in and out of the 3 in the hand, one in the pocket.

Have you always used balls?

Best regards,
Ron :)

Doug Brewer

Postby Doug Brewer » May 3rd, 2005, 1:53 pm

always

Return to “Reference Room”