Chinese Sticks

A place where beginners can participate, ask questions, and post their views. However, beginners typically ask a lot of questions about sources, tricks, books, and so on. In fact, all magicians are interested (or should be) in the provenance of tricks, ideas, and related matters. This department will service these needs.
Jerry Harrell

Chinese Sticks

Postby Jerry Harrell » May 13th, 2004, 12:53 pm

Anybody know of a source, published or video, for a routine with the Chinese sticks?

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Re: Chinese Sticks

Postby Steve Bryant » May 13th, 2004, 1:30 pm

Joe Stevens has a teach-in video on the sticks for only $22.50. The ad copy:

This is the seventh volume in the Greater Magic Video Library Teach In Series. This is another classic of magic. Get your set out of the closet, or drawer and learn from the Pros how entertaining they can be. Six different routines by five performers. These performers will demonstrate their routines and methods that they use in their entertainment repertoires. You will enjoy Howard Hale's versions based on the Fred Kaps original routine. Pete Biro will give use two different routines with comedy bits. Aldo Colombini will make you laugh with his funny routine and patter. Joe Stevens will show you the routine that he uses in every show he does. And finally, to close the video, enjoy Charlie Miller and his ventage routine that he used for years. There is a saying in the world of magic, that if one learns and performs the classics of magic, they will always have an entertaining act. The Chinese Sticks is certainly one of the classics that has stood the test of magic times.

Postby Guest » May 14th, 2004, 3:58 am

There's a few comments on the vid (along with other interesting stick info) in this thread:

http://geniimagazine.com/forum/noncgi/u ... 222#000000

Jerry Harrell

Postby Jerry Harrell » May 14th, 2004, 4:43 am

Steve and Doug,

Many many thanks. (Doug, that was a great thread and very useful.) I will order the Stevens video today. I just purchased General Grant's brass sticks with the teflon slides and was determined not to just put them on the collector's shelf. All this info is very helpful gentlemen.

Postby Guest » December 20th, 2004, 9:33 pm

Try the Chinese Sticks from Precision Magic, Inc., they are the best and come with two tried and true routines. These sticks are large, aluminum, glossy powder coated sticks, and the end caps are beautiful, polished, motorcycle-chrome on aluminum! The square design inherently eliminates internal tangling of the string, and each stick is enhanced with a teflon ramp and polished ceramic guides to make this a superior action! Our goal with these Chinese Sticks was to bring you the smoothest operation with the least amount of tilt required, in a very stunning package! Equipment perfect for the working professional.

Postby Guest » December 24th, 2004, 3:53 pm

I must agree with David Mann, I saw them at the Cleveland IBM. I wanted a set just because I am a quality junkie. I managed to fight off the urge since the cash in my wallet had "vanished". I doubt there are any better made.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 24th, 2004, 7:47 pm

The Precision Magic "Chinese Sticks" are very nicely made. We just received a set at the Genii office for review and I couldn't help playing with them for a few hours before packing them up and sending them off to Danny Orleans.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » February 23rd, 2005, 8:43 pm

You can see a honest review of our Chinese Sticks in the March issue of Genii Magazine. I would like to take this time to thank Danny Orleans for his thoughtfulness in writing this review.

C. Hampton
Favorite Magician: Tamariz, DaOrtiz, Coperfield

Postby C. Hampton » February 25th, 2005, 9:25 am

Do you have any pics on the net? What dealers carry this item? :confused:
Carlos Hampton
www.damainquieta.com/conferencias

Postby Guest » March 9th, 2005, 6:30 am

There are pictures on our website at: precisionmagic.com.

Postby Guest » August 7th, 2005, 10:19 pm

Precision Magic no longer produces this product. We would like to thank all of you who supported this product.

Postby Guest » August 12th, 2005, 8:12 am

Wow, after that tantalizing discussion, now the Precision sticks are no longer available. Sigh.....

OK, since the Precision sticks are no longer in production, their price will surely go up on eBay and auciton sites.

What would be the next best set of Chinese sticks to invest in ? Or are the rest not worthy by comparison ?

Mark Pettey
Naples, FL

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » August 12th, 2005, 8:48 am

Plumber's Sticks ( www.stevensmagic.com ) for a comedy version or for the "classy" ones, www.owenmagaic.com

Kovari's are excellent too, if still available.
Stay tooned.

Return to “Reference Room”