NON-drug magic

Post topics about the business side of magic.

NON-drug magic

Postby Guest » April 16th, 2003, 10:37 pm

I now that some magician in USA do like they call NON drog magic and NON alcoholic magic at schools
I like to know if any magician has written anything about this form of magic. I like to start it here in my country.
I Like to know if I can get any books videos dvd about this term NON drugs and NON alcoholig magic. If any has written some thing about how to go further with it and idees to do this.

Re: NON-drug magic

Postby Guest » April 18th, 2003, 3:34 pm

Hello Nic,

Here in the US we call it "Say No To Drugs"; or Magic with a Message.

Here are some websites to get you started in the right direction:

Click here for a video by Duane Laflin.

Click here for a self-esteem video by Dave Risley.

And click here for a "Safety" book for Children at David Ginn's website.

Hope this is what you're looking for.

Postby Guest » May 15th, 2003, 2:17 pm

Excellent links, Damian, thank-you for the info.

Sure, we could call it "non-drug magic", but it seems as if that label implies that all other magic would be "DRUG magic".

What would you suggest naming it? Non-non drug magic? (I don't know, please help me with this.)

Postby Guest » May 16th, 2003, 8:04 am

Originally posted by Steve Spicer:
Excellent links, Damian, thank-you for the info.

Sure, we could call it "non-drug magic", but it seems as if that label implies that all other magic would be "DRUG magic".

What would you suggest naming it? Non-non drug magic? (I don't know, please help me with this.)
Steve,

Might I suggest "Anti-Drug Abuse Magic," or "Stop Drug Abuse Magic," or "Drugs Are Bad Magic?"

One of these might resonate with your audiences.

A few years ago, in the US, we had a bunch of TV advertisements that showed how people act on drugs. The clumsiness, the foolish statements and all that were portrayed clearly. The final line of the spots was "Why do you think they call it DOPE?"

Maybe that will work for you as well.

I hope so!

Kind regards,

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
http://www.leedarrow.com

Postby Guest » August 10th, 2005, 2:47 pm

Somewhat along these lines.....Does anyone know of AA groups for magician ?

Postby Guest » August 29th, 2005, 7:01 pm

Hi,

Stevens Magic also sells the video CD set of the Just Say No Magic Show by Tony Daniels. The CD contains the promotional materials, teacher's guide, etc., which is also very helpful.

http://www.stevensmagic.com/shopping/sh ... sp?id=2966

There is also a short clip from the video on the Stevens site at this link (see the Quicktime video section - the videos are in alphabetical order):

http://www.stevensmagic.com/videos.htm

Good luck,

Bob Phillips

Bill Palmer

Postby Bill Palmer » September 1st, 2005, 4:30 pm

Originally posted by Martial Magician:
Somewhat along these lines.....Does anyone know of AA groups for magician ?
MarcoM once told me that there is a group of people in Dallas who get together once a week. A fellow gets up in front of the room and says, "My name is Bob, and I'm a magician."

"Hello, Bob!" responds the crowd.

It's called Magician's Anonymous. If you have an urge to perform a magic trick, you call up your sponsor. He comes over with a fifth of single malt scotch and the two of you get drunk to get rid of the craving.
Bill Palmer, MIMC

Bill McFadden

Postby Bill McFadden » September 1st, 2005, 6:14 pm

Originally posted by Bill Palmer:

It's called Magician's Anonymous. If you have an urge to perform a magic trick, you call up your sponsor. He comes over with a fifth of single malt scotch and the two of you get drunk to get rid of the craving.
That was one of the more offensive, asinine posts I've ever read here (and my tolerance threshold is pretty damn high). Palmer ought to read the Paul Kozak interview in the August issue of Magic. And leave the "funny" stuff to those with genuine wit. In the civilized world, alcoholism/drug addiction are recognized as diseases - like diabetes, depression, and even cancer. Making fun of diseases is just plain ignorant.

Doomo

Postby Doomo » September 1st, 2005, 9:32 pm

Originally posted by Bill McFadden:
[b]
That was one of the more offensive, asinine posts I've ever read here (and my tolerance threshold is pretty damn high). Palmer ought to read the Paul Kozak interview in the August issue of Magic. And leave the "funny" stuff to those with genuine wit. In the civilized world, alcoholism/drug addiction are recognized as diseases - like diabetes, depression, and even cancer. Making fun of diseases is just plain ignorant. [/b]
Gee... That was VERY tolerant... Good to see magicians with a sense of humor again!
RFA Productions yeah... It is cool stuff.

www.rfaproductions.com

Bill Palmer

Postby Bill Palmer » September 1st, 2005, 9:56 pm

Originally posted by Bill McFadden:
[b]
That was one of the more offensive, asinine posts I've ever read here (and my tolerance threshold is pretty damn high). Palmer ought to read the Paul Kozak interview in the August issue of Magic. And leave the "funny" stuff to those with genuine wit. In the civilized world, alcoholism/drug addiction are recognized as diseases - like diabetes, depression, and even cancer. Making fun of diseases is just plain ignorant. [/b]
Hey, Bill, I'm four for four on your list. I'm entitled. Butt out.

Just take a deep breath, get over your anger, and let this slide.

Let me add -- 17 years, 8 months, 18 days.

If you don't understand what that means, then you shoudn't comment. If you do, cool!

There are things about this situation that you have no inkling of.
Bill Palmer, MIMC

Return to “Marketing & Magic Business”