Book Recommendations for Corporate/Restaurant

Post topics about the business side of magic.
mrgoat

Book Recommendations for Corporate/Restaurant

Postby mrgoat » August 28th, 2002, 2:34 am

The subject says it all really

I want some new ideas...

Who rates what?

Thanks in advance

Re: Book Recommendations for Corporate/Restaurant

Postby Guest » August 28th, 2002, 4:25 am

I just got Bill Herez and Paul Harris book
(It was a recommendation made in another thread)
Very good

Postby Guest » August 31st, 2002, 12:10 am

Let ma add
Bill Goldman Bar and grill and the Lenon notes

Maxim

Postby Guest » September 2nd, 2002, 7:43 am

too many people here

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 2nd, 2002, 8:52 am

Mr.Goat, the topic doesn't really make your question clear ... are you looking for good tricks, or advice on how to work or get work in the corporate or restaurant area.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » September 2nd, 2002, 9:19 am

Originally posted by Richard Kaufman:
Mr.Goat, the topic doesn't really make your question clear ... are you looking for good tricks, or advice on how to work or get work in the corporate or restaurant area.
Sorry for the confusion Mr K, I meant the business end of things rather than the tricks end.

I know what works for me, just wanted some new ideas.

I feel honoured to be edited for clarity by the editor!

Regards

Mr G

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 2nd, 2002, 12:56 pm

Mr. Goat, from what I understand, the $100 book that Michael Bailey (president of the Magic Circle) has put out is supposed to be a book that really delivers in the area of the business of performing. I've heard good things from many professionals about it.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » September 3rd, 2002, 8:38 am

Thanks very much to those that replied. Certainly given me a longer reading list that I had.

Hopefully some new ideas will come from them too.

Thanks again for the pointers.

Regards

G

Postby Guest » September 5th, 2002, 11:43 am

I came across an advertisement for a new business book written by a magician for independent entertainers. The price: $200 I have not purchased it, nor do I know anyone who has, but I thought someone might be interested in it. It can be found at:
http://millionairemagician.com/?hop=zerowc.milmag

Postby Guest » September 5th, 2002, 12:42 pm

all he needs are 5000 magicians to become a amillioner again

TheDean.

Postby TheDean. » September 6th, 2002, 10:59 am

Hi MrGoat,

I'd like to take a stab at your question if I may... Though long-winded. (Hehehe)

'By Magicians' or 'For Magicians'? In today's market, that's kind-of an 'interesting' topic.

I have a passion for the Art, Science and Mechanics of Sales, Marketing Influence & Persuasion, and I can count on less than ten fingers the 'notable' marketing text for magicians over the last 40 years.

Let's start with "By Magicians": (Readers are leaders!)

EG: Joel Bauer's 'Hustle, Hustle' series, Michael Ammar's Marketing & Success Notes & Tapes, Don Davison's 'Conjuring for Cash' System (The ORIGINAL 'Lead-Generation' KING for magicians! 1960's & 70's) , Stan (The Promo-Man) Kramian's Books on Sponsored Dates, David Ginn's Big Book of Examples; "Booking Me and You (& Too)", 'The Success Books' by Francis & Jay Marshal, a few things from Sammy Smith, Lee Jacobs and a killer little booklet from Paul Diamond called 'It Takes Guts Damit'!" (...all and worth getting your hands on, if you can!)

Yes, there were/are more, but these are the ones most (who pursued the 'business' side of show) will remember.

Dateline: "TODAY"

YES, It's TRUE that there is a "barrage" of new, "Super-Marketing" manuscripts, systems and videos on the "marketing" from a plethora of "self-proclaimed" gurus touting their rags to riches stories in all manner and aspects of magic for your consideration. (and hard-earned money)

That's right, all of a sudden, EVERYBODY'S a 'Marketing-Guru' with their "Insider's Secrets That Will Totally Blow-Away Your Competition With-Out Having To Raise a Finger or Work-Up a Ball of Sweat to Do It!" marketing course!

Now I'm not saying that's bad. As a matter of fact, I think it's AWESOME! Good Marketing is Good Marketing no matter where you find it as far as I'm concerned!

As a full-time performer, (for over 30 years... ok, yeah, I'm old!) and one who has been super "Blessed" in this amazing business of show, we have pain-stakingly put-together a FREE On-Line Marketing Solutions Forum as my small way of "giving-back", complete with LINKS, reviews, critiques, free articles, chats, this discussion center and so much more, so that you can weed-through the cornucopia of "information spewing" out there.

Keep in mind that this 'new-wave' of marketing systems is nothing more than the 'legal' plagiarism of good ol' fashioned 'real-world' marketing information from such notables as Jay Abraham, Dan Kennedy and others.

Even 'students' of the 'students' are regurgitating their own marketing manuscripts... see, It's not that hard!

...is that wrong? HECK-NO! As a matter of fact, I LOVE-IT. I have purchased most of the good 'regurgitated' systems out there and can confidently endorse most of em' personally!

So why do I even mention any of this anyway...?

That's easy! I want you (anyone who truly wants to) to be able to have access to the most potent, hot off the press, knock-down drag-out information on the topic of achieving your dreams and goals that is available! I know that sounds kinda' sappy, but I believe that there is NO EXCUSE for ANYONE who really 'wants to' and is 'willing to do what ever it takes' can get gigs and make a killer "lifestyle" (not just a 'living') for themselves, their families and the communities in which they live! (I'm NOT 'even' going to go into the Win-Win principle of "giving" and helping others to get what THEY need and how it will catapult your 'business' into outerspace! Nope... not me, I would never do that... noooooooo!)

In a nut-shell, some of these so called, 'NEW' Marketing Systems are Not NEW at all! YES, they are perhaps 'NEW to Magic' and that's GREAT! Good for US as an art advancing into the currant millennium!!

Dave Dee, as an example (not the ONLY, just one of the better examples) has done an admirable job of taking what the rest of the marketing world already knew (through a mentorship program with Dan Kennedy) and spent tens of thousands of HIS-OWN money (so WE don't have-to) and applied it directly to magic along with tested, tried and true RESULTS for 'magicians' with loads of examples, ideas, tips and a systematic plan for there achievement. (I should get a commission! Hehehe)

PLEASE UNDERSTAND ME COMPLETELY, I "AM" IN FAVOR of Dave, Randy, Millard and others specifically going out and 'doing all the advance-work' (and it IS surmountable!) and synthesizing all their learned knowledge and experience into an 'Arts-Specific' Marketing Course so that WE don't have to go out and re-invent the wheel in this arena! I AM GRATEFUL... THANK-YOU!!

Now, we can simply go out an purchase Randy's Millionaire System (or someone else's) Marketing information and just GET TO WORK on "getting work" as a magician... see!? Simply put; Go-out and get any-one of these courses and just start DOING something with it! ( I only say that cause MOST DON'T take the ACTION necessary and then sit home and complain that their is no work out there! HA, That's a LAUGH!)

FOR (not by) Magicians:

Tom Hopkins, Harvey McKay, Mark McCormic, Anthony Robbins, Glenn Bland, Jay Abraham, Stephen Covey, Dr. Robert Chialdini, Dan Kennedy, Zig Ziggler, Orsen Sweat Mareden, Nepolian Hill, Dale Carnegie, Jim Rohn... and soooooo many others! Check you local library, book store or on-line vendors!

- Zig Zigler (also FREE on-line newsletter) ZigZiggler.com
- Jim Rohn (also FREE on-line newsletter) ... you guessed it; JimRohn.com
and soooo many more... (Look Here http://www.TheDean.net for a ton more FREE links and referrals in our FREE Resource Center!)

For what-ever reason, we as independent performers don't subscribe to the tested, tried and true marketing and sales information of the 'rest of the world' and I'm amazed!

Where do ya' think that all these 'new-fangled' marketing courses are coming from?? It's just a 'few' of the magicians are finally figuring out what the rest of the world has already known for years and then turning around and selling it back to YOU! ...and usually for waaaay more money! Keep in mind, if you get even ONE useable skill, insight that will add to your booking regiment and 'help' keep those gigs commin' in, who looses? NO-ONE!

The library or your local book-store will have ALL the answers you could ever want and need! Just go-out and get it!

if you truly want to 'dominate your market' just do what everyone else (out-side of magic) already does! Hmmmm, sounds tough! THIS is the "REAL-DEAL stuff on marketing", personal & business development! Yes you will have to work a 'little' harder cause it's not "Magic-Market' specific, but there is NO editing on behalf of the 'new' author either... make sense?

Just 'one' suggestion,

Get your hands on some of the killer marketing stuff that's already on the market. There are soooooo many examples, details, suggestions, insider secrets, tips and real-world (Tested, tried & true!) results! Some of this information is even available for FREE right here on the internet!

I have taken the time and effort to outline and provide links to most of the TOP Marketing resources available (for the independent performer) on the net in our FREE Resource Center! There are soooo many great resources available at your public library, local book stores (On and Off-Line) Do yourself a favor and check em' out!

All that being said... get all you can on the subject! Free, paid-for and otherwise. You will get back many-times what ever you invest in it! Don't take my word for it, just ask ANY ONE else who is working consistently!

There is no price that is too great that 'I' personally wouldn't pay to have the lifestyle I want...

Do your homework... study Sales & Marketing and most importantly, APPLY what you learn! (Sadly, MOST don't and then complain that there is now work... Boo Hoo!)

Is it 'work'? ah, yes!

Is it 'worth-it'... ABSOLUTELY!

Here's one caveat:
To my experience, NONE of the "by magician's" marketing courses have any information on "personal development". In the long-haul, if you don't advance as a 'person', no real success will be sustained. YOU will HAVE-TO learn about personal advancement skills as you grow as a business or you will crumble under the pressure of a growing business! You will have to gain a comprehensive understanding of finances & investing, (not just balancing a check-book) how to cultivates successful personal & business relationships, marketing vs sales and being a 'business owner' vs a magician etc... I hope you get he idea.

POV: Marketing is a "process" and NOT a "thing to be had". I totally agree, your very best bet is the marketing and personal development section of your local/favorite bookstore or library. Keeping in mind what one of our other wise compatriot said in this thread: "...good marketing is common sense!" and I agree, whole heartedly.

This is just a "glance" at the opportunities and challenges that await us all in regards to the never-ending chasm known as "MARKETING", and is only another "perspective" form another brother out there, together in the trenches along side of you. Hope it helps.

I am at your service and in HIS service,
Deano

The Dean's List; Your University of Success! (FREE!)
www.TheDean.net

Also, if you have not yet done so... SIGN-UP for The Magic Coach absolutely FREE, in your e-mail box, marketing newsletter. Sign-up at: http://www.MagicCoach.com

- The "Millionaire magician" has a FREE 7-day course that you can sign-up for at his site: http://www.MillionaireMagician.com and his site is the single MOST "knocked-off web-form on the internet" having to do with marketing for magicians. There IS a reason for that... have a look for yourself! A lesson in marketing all by itself! straight from the mouth of SUCCESS! Kinda' hard to argue with THAT, isn't it?

- And of-course, the KING of "Outrageous Marketing for Magicians" Millard Grubb has soooo much to offer on the topic... I understand his new-product site is coming soon. Though you can get his Magician's Emergency Tool Kit from Steven's NOW!

- "Tim The Magician" has products and a FREE "Business of Show" Newsletter that your SHOULD subscribe to! www.WebSitesForEntertainers.com

- Again, Rick Allan has a FREE Newsletter that he'd love to share with you all, go to his site and sign-up NOW! http://www.GetMoreBookings.com FREE Newsletter and LOTS of great stuff... Check it out for yourself!

- Also, have a look at Dave Dee's new "Marketing Center for Magicians" located at http://www.DaveDee.com. Yes, there is stuff for sale there, AND there is also at-least 5 or 6 FREE articles on the subject of "Marketing" and free newsletter that you can subscribe-to, also for FREE! (I also RECOMMEND that you DO-SO!)

ALL THIS, and MORE can and will (It's being added to all the time!) be found on our FREE Marketing Resource Page! Go there and have a "look around". http:www.TheDean.net/resource.html

Postby Guest » September 9th, 2002, 8:35 am

Dean,

The address www.websitesforentertainers.com did not connect. Is the address correct?
Slicer

TheDean.

Postby TheDean. » September 9th, 2002, 9:11 am

Oops... My bad, sorry!

Try www.WebDesignForEntertainers.com and/or www.TimTheMagician.com

Thanks for the fix Slicer!

I am at your service and in His service,
Deano

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » September 9th, 2002, 10:34 am

Originally posted by TheDean - Dean Hankey:
Oops... My bad, sorry!

Try www.WebDesignForEntertainers.com and/or www.TimTheMagician.com

Thanks for the fix Slicer!

I am at your service and in His service,
Deano
Thank you for taking the time to reply to my earlier post.

I am afraid the design of these sites and the copy on them isn't to my taste at all, but then again I can't remember seeing a site to do with magic that I actually thought did have good design.

Maybe I am just too fussy!

The book recommendations are useful and several have been ordered...

Come on posty!

Thanks

Mr G

TheDean.

Postby TheDean. » September 9th, 2002, 1:56 pm

Hey there,

Yepppers, I agree that there are sites that are not what the doctor ordered for me either, but that was not the intention of my earlier reference and post. Tim DOES have a FREE marketing newsletter that I was suggesting that you (we ALL) subscribe to, it's called "The Business of Show" and it's FREE!

There is ALWAYS something to be learned form others if you have the mind for it...

I am, as always, at your service and in His service,
TheDean - Deano

The Dean's List; Your University of Success!
www.TheDean.net

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » September 9th, 2002, 2:08 pm

Originally posted by TheDean - Dean Hankey:
Hey there,

Yepppers, I agree that there are sites that are not what the doctor ordered for me either, but that was not the intention of my earlier reference and post. Tim DOES have a FREE marketing newsletter that I was suggesting that you (we ALL) subscribe to, it's called "The Business of Show" and it's FREE!

There is ALWAYS something to be learned form others if you have the mind for it...
Without a shadow of a doubt I have learnt more from watching bad acts than good ones. Not intending to seem arrogant or suggest all acts are bad.

Simple things like patter or audience management...

Or in the case of the first website, the fact that the entire site doesn't need to be one page with a huge vertical scroll. You can have more than one page, that is cool with me...

:)

Indeed,

Return to “Marketing & Magic Business”