clipboards

Instead of mentally projecting your mentalism thoughts, type them here.

clipboards

Postby Guest » May 4th, 2003, 10:48 am

I'm interested in hearing comments and advise from forum members regarding the relative strengths and weaknesses of the various marketed clipboard devices currently available. I need a "real-time" impression device which is reliable and doesn't require that I use the clipboard myself after the impression is made. Ideally, I would like to take back the clipboard after the spectator has removed the paper and simply set it down on a table or in my briefcase and in that action immediately obtain my peek. Some of the devices which claim to satisfy the above conditions include the Buma Board, Mentalist Dexter's Clairvoyant Clipboard, Guy Bavli's Perfect Clipboard and John Riggs' Brown Hornet Clipboard. Since these are marketed items, I am of course not asking for specific information regarding the workings, but, rather, would like to hear from mentalists with experience using the above devices or similar devices so that I can make an informed decision when I buy a clipboard. Thanks very much.

John Smetana

Re: clipboards

Postby John Smetana » May 4th, 2003, 11:32 am

Thr RIGGS Hornet and the BUMA board are both excellent. You may also want to check out KOPY KAT which is being marketed by Larry Becker.
I have no experience with either the PERFECT or the DEXTER boards.
In the end, you'll really need to experiment with as many different devices as you can. Unfortunately, one size doesn't fit all. Hope this helps and as always,

Best thoughts,
John Smetana

Postby Guest » May 4th, 2003, 3:30 pm

I believe the Kopy Kat meets your requirements. I've used it and have been quite impressed with its performance under fire.

- Richard

Danny Archer

Postby Danny Archer » May 4th, 2003, 3:55 pm

Saw LArry Becker lecture last week and he demo'ed the Kopy Kay board ... works like a dream and will do what you want
Producer of MINDvention
mentalism convention

M. Sibbernsen

Postby M. Sibbernsen » May 4th, 2003, 7:12 pm

All of the products will require you do something at sometime to gain the information.

While I use and love the KopyKat, I'm afraid that the "thing" you need to do requires you to open the portfolio under some context, most logically to use it in a similar manor to the spectator. This therefore does not meet your criteria. One could however certainly develop another reason to open the portfolio, for instance to remove a "certificate of achievement" or a piece of paper for another participants usage.

The Brown Hornet is in my mind the best clip board on the market. It too requires a moment to obtain the information, in this case best done while placing the board (momentarily hidden from view) into a briefcase. There is a slightly bolder information peek for the Hornet given in the instructions.

Postby Guest » May 4th, 2003, 9:12 pm

In MIND, MYTH, AND MAGICK, T.A. Waters describes a clipboard that you can construct that works as an impression device. Forget what it's called, because the names are so capriciously chosen.

Postby Guest » May 5th, 2003, 12:07 am

Thanks very much to all of the above members for the advice. It was very helpful. By the way, the clipboard idea in MIND, MYTH AND MAGICK which Mr. Groves refers to in his post is called "Glimpression" and appears on page 725. It is an excellent idea and is essentially "real-time" but does have some conditions for use which make it less than ideal for my purposes. Another very nice idea for those interested is the "real-time impression device" which is described in the first volume of Jas Jakutsch's excellent series. It does require that you write on the device after the participant is finished (and may also require some arts-and-crafts skills)and therefore doesn't suit my present needs, but those of you out there looking for a deceptive and inexpensive impression device should take a look.

Linds

Postby Linds » May 5th, 2003, 12:57 am

In MIND, MYTH, AND MAGICK, T.A. Waters describes a clipboard (...) Forget what it's called, because the names are so capriciously chosen.
You know there were comments like this on another thread about T.A.'s imaginative choice of names for his booklets, effects, etc. I don't want to start a flame war, but really nothing could be further from the truth.

It is clear that T.A. was a very erudite gentleman whose knowledge of the world transcended a mere preoccupation with our art. As a general rule there is always a good reason for the names. I regret not making the effort to make his acquaintance while he was still with us.

Some of the names and titles are references to folklore or religions of various cultures in different places and times, others puns or other word plays. Most I find to be quite transparent, some I have to think about before deciphering his intent and others have required quite some research before I was sure I had grasped their meaning. But they are all linked to the central idea that he is writing about in the booklet or essay.

Let me give you an example - one of the easier ones. Cerberus, a three headed dog, was believed by the Ancient Romans to be the guardian of the underworld. No heaven or hell just a repository for souls of the deceased. If you have seen the first of the Harry Potter movies you have seen a visualisation of one of his near kin if not the ancient Guardian Mastiff Himself. T.A. applies this image to our old friend the triple prediction which, as he says, can often bite the unwary performer on the backside. (Sorry not a direct quote, I'm at the office and can't look it up.) He goes further, coining the adjective cerberic to describe such predictions regardless of methodology.

Another a chapter on mentalism with cards has a number of effects yclept (see I'm doing it :D ) "Pharoah". Say it out loud and shuffle off.

In closing this boring diatribe, let me make two points. Chasing down the underlying references is fun (I am not asking for a commentary on what passes as my life) and can be personally enriching.

Also, a little bit of applied imagination and lateral thinking about some of T.A.'s conceits (medieval meaning intended here) may serve as a trigger that leads each of us to some really interesting and personal presentations of our mentalism and magic.

Regards
Linds

Postby Guest » May 5th, 2003, 2:26 am

I'm not looking for a flame war, either, so I will simply state my point of view without arguing, if you don't mind.

You're right, the names of T.A. Waters's effects are not "capriciously chosen"--I misspoke--but are certainly chosen to obfuscate rather than elucidate. The purpose of names, after all, is to clarify for those who are skimming, is it not?

Instead, the names here offer no immediate clarification at all, which makes the table of contents almost useless. In fact, even the section headings are chosen in order to be unfathomable without deep study, making it nearly impossible to navigate the book even by type of effect.

Certainly this book is a masterpiece. The writing is much stronger than the norm in magic and the effects are not only original, but gratifyingly footnoted and researched. I consider the naming to be a mischievous quirk of a brilliant mind.

I recall T.A.'s tenure as librarian at the Castle, and his inhospitable approach to clarification fits the brief personal contact that I had with him. During office hours at the Castle, he would be deeply absorbed in research (probably this masterwork), to the point of being massively perturbed when asked a simple librarian question.

In addition, he would start closing the library at least a half-hour early, notifying everybody of the time left before closing, and pretty much pester everybody to leave by ten minutes before closing. He was a reluctant teacher, it seems to me.

Still, the masterpiece he left behind seems to justify it all. It will stand for decades, not just a great magic book, but also, a fine book, period. And you can't say that about all magic masterworks, not by a long shot.

Postby Guest » May 5th, 2003, 10:07 am

Whether T.A. Waters' "inhospitality" was an elitist persona, he tried to portray, or really his personality,(or both) is for others to decide...But I will say he could be very helpful in the library, sometimes, finding things, helping with research, for me and I'm sure others. Was this because we shared areas of interest, or I wouldn't go away...who knows? Waters telling/warning members that the library WOULD close at it's scheduled time, prevented those from lingering on, when HIS time on the clock was over. I've seen public libraries make the same announcements, so people will have their books checked out, and the doors can be closed, on time, so they can do their other work.
On a personal note, T.A. was a fun person to argue with!

Postby Guest » May 5th, 2003, 10:15 am

Are you looking for an impression device to do a design duplication or for gaining information as in a Q & A act? If it is a duplication, I may have exactly what you want and it does not involve an impression device.
PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
AB Stagecraft
http://www.stores.ebay.ca/Abstagecraft
Supplying Unique Mentalism World-wide

Postby Guest » May 5th, 2003, 10:34 am

NOW ABOUT CLIPBOARDS: They can and have been very useful, in their various forms and uses...But REALITY is that people are not as dumb as some would like to believe. Look at critical (press) reviews of Samri Baldwin or Anna Eva Fay, a century ago, and you'll see great suspicion of the boards/pads that they used, that only those who wrote on pads, got responses from the mindreader, etc. Everyone has seen murder/detective movies where clues were revealed by looking at impressions that were on a notepad that had been written on before. They have been exposed, and even pitched on TV commercials!
The use of clipboards has to be done sparringly, covertly, and with a premise that "dis-connects" that the person had written on a clipboard, or not having written anything before. To paraphrase T.A. Waters, "Just because you buy something in a magic store, does not mean, reasonable people can't figure it out themselves." As a selling point, some mental acts decades ago, would emphasize, "no writing pads/writing done questions are used."(!)

Postby Guest » May 5th, 2003, 11:59 am

One of my favorites comes from Cantrip Codex (or was it in vol 1 of the Invocation collection?) by Doc Shiels.

Cathy's Trick, I believe it's called and it uses a bar menu. Not quite as clean as others, but, if you have the person write their order on the menu, using a standard order ticket, you have the excuse to do the peek without any problem.

A real mind blower, if handled properly.

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
http://www.leedarrow.com

Postby Guest » May 5th, 2003, 7:22 pm

In reply to Mr. Alberstat: I simply need to secretely gain information, so your item may not be appropriate for the effect I'm working on, but after going to eBay and looking at the description, "Perception" sounded to me like a very interesting item. I would to hear more about the performing conditions, restrictions, etc., if this information can be provided without giving anything away.
Regarding Mr. Domingo's comments: I think he is absolutely correct in pointing out that clipboards should be used sparingly. T.A. Waters (who appears to be haunting this thread) has said that clipboards are not, contrary to mentalists' assumptions, immediately viewed by laypeople as suspect. This is no doubt true; as always, however, context is all-important. I personally feel that having a participant use an impression device and then immediately duplicating the information is blatant, no matter how effective your performing style. At the very least, time misdirection is necessary. The particular effect which started this thread is a "coincidence" involving two participants. It uses a "canceling" principle, which is to say that two methods (a glimpse and a force) are used with the participants, but each method would seem to preclude the possibility of the other, making backtracking highly unlikely. If a clipboard is used in a subtle way, and with appropriate justification, it is an extremely useful tool. One final comment, which is not original with me: if you can use the clipboard for innocent purposes earlier in your performance, establishing its presence in the minds of the audience, it will go a long way in reducing suspicion when you finally and "casually" hand it your participant for use.

Postby Guest » May 5th, 2003, 9:02 pm

"Not suspect"? Hopefully/thankfully so in many, maybe most cases. BUT I have seen the times, when a lay person, asked to write something, has said, "Is this one of those magic clipboards?", or "Does this have carbon paper underneath? or "Can you read what I wrote on this?" (all true)
AND those are the ones who SPOKE their suspicions.
(Especially deadly with small groups whose people know each other) Maybe not wanting to justify anything in the first place, would make sense. Some "salt" the area with impression devices, so they can grab "something" to give the person something to write on. Curious fact: When Uri Geller appeared on Jay Leno, he did a duplication feat, and when he revealed his design was the same, he actually made much of the fact that the two designs were EXACTLY the same, matching each other...he held the 2 designs so audience could see the were identical...which goes against the idea of being too close/"too perfect". To me it could lead people to conclusions, but Geller is the master of making a (magician's perceived) problem, into an asset.

Postby Guest » May 6th, 2003, 7:34 am

I'm with Diego on this one. I've searched for the clipboard grail for quite some time,and have found nothing that...

A) Works 100% of the time, and...
B) Is completely deceptive.

John Riggs' stuff is clevercleverclever, but it's not 100%.

Dexter's clipboard isn't worth the money to blow it to hell. (Unless you need a clipboard that can double as body-armor.)

Kopy Kat is kool, but not much good for fine detail, so words are kind of dicey.

More and more often, I find people saying "Do I HAVE to write it on this board? Can I take the paper off and lay it on the table? Hmmmmm?" So I have to say 'yes' and get the info using another method.

My best success in this area has come using a Chalet reader's table, believe it or not! (Only problem is, it doesn't exactly 'pack flat'.)

I haven't laid out the $$$ for an electronic board yet, but odds are that's the way I'll eventually go.

Burke

Postby Guest » May 6th, 2003, 8:16 am

I have in fact just invested in Riggs' Brown Hornet, based on extremely positive comments on this post and elsewhere, but haven't received it yet. Mr. Burke's comments are both very helpful in their specificity and very worrying! (Not 100 percent? I would really appreciate any information you could give me, Mr. Burke-possibly through a private e-mail- regarding this.) Aside from the technical limitations mentioned in his post, however, there is a larger problem with clipboards elaborated by both Mr. Burke and Mr. Domingo: trust in the performer. If the participants fundamentally suspect us of trickery-and why shouldn't they?-our devices are essentially meaningless, no matter how clever. That is to say, even if Mr. Burke, in his quest for the clipboard grail, eventually takes the plunge and invests in a high-tech gadget, he can only ride that wave for a short time, since the existence of such technology can be expected, within an ever shorter period of time, to reach the popular consciousness. Soon enough, participants might be asking us if we have a hidden miniature camera in the pen! So technology cannot save us, in the long run. What can? I have no answer, but this question lurks beneath the surface comments about clipboards. Mr. Domingo refers to the spectators too polite to voice their suspicions. What percent of the audience fits into this category? And how can we know? The fact that Uri Geller has thrived in spite of exposure, the fact that people on some level want to believe, is undeniable, but so is the common suspicion referred to above. Does it all come down to strength of personality? Do we need to be a Fogel to pull if off? I should point out that, personally, I feel it is dishonest to pretend to have psychic powers, but even if we treat our perfomances as art or entertainment rather than reality, we need a "suspension of disbelief" to make the experience meaningful for the audience. So the problem remains. . .

Postby Guest » May 6th, 2003, 10:14 am

No problems, Shawn.

Just elicit a trust-worthy pre-show impromptu stooge loaded with, or within arms reach, an other than clipboard ringer- tailored to a female, of course. Works every time and you got a free date for the big "thank-you".

Oh, and NEVER say a disclaimer. Just have it in small letters on the bottom of your promotional material "for entertainment purposes only", that's all.

[censored].

Joe Z

Postby Joe Z » May 6th, 2003, 10:45 am

In my experience, I have found John Rigg's Hornet and Skeeter boards to be reasonably failsafe if employed properly. IMO, they are the best items of their kind currently available.

But 100 percent -- very few things in this craft (and in life, for that matter) are 100 percent. An adept and resourceful mystery performer plans for occasional prop and manual failure.

It's an eventuality that is one must deal with as a practitioner of this craft.

Joe Z.

Postby Guest » May 6th, 2003, 2:17 pm

Has anyone mentioned the Clone Jr. yet? I bought one of these secondhand a couple years ago, but the pen doesn't work and I haven't been able to locate a new one or fix the old one.

Is it worth pursuing?

Postby Guest » May 6th, 2003, 5:33 pm

Important factor is if it's used for pre-show work, or during a performance. The old books, said ALWAYS have an assistant do the pre-show work...I know this is impractical for some, but that can DISconnect the dots for some...Especially if they are perceived as an usher, host, waiter, etc...these people are invisible/forgettable, to many. Private readers, would have wicker furniture in their waiting room, so you needed a flat surface,(like a clipboard!) to write their questions on. How many spoken, suspicions are unspoken by others? When I see a mental act at The Castle, I try to shadow/listen to people leaving, hearing their reactions...very telling!...Remember some people have brains...Dick Zimmerman asked a lady in the lobby of The Castle, if she enjoyed her evening. She replied, "Yes!..I've always wondered how magicians did their tricks, and tonight I found out!" Paul Daniels is right. After your show, if you could hear what people say then about your show, when they go to the restroom, then you will learn something.

IanB

Postby IanB » May 6th, 2003, 5:51 pm

Regarding the "suspicious" use of clipboards; I've copied the following text from a non-magic Derren Brown fan group board on Yahoo. It may be a wind up, but maybe not....

Date: Sun Mar 23, 2003 6:09 pm
Subject: setting up people before the show kind of (stevenage)

okay, heres how it went, I don't really understand what or why it
happened which is why I'm posting.

right, we get to the theatre fairly earlier and are standing in the
bar with drinks, we over hear a conversation this couple behind us
are having with this guy with an ear thingy and a clipboard, we hear
him saying he's the producer and also the woman telling him they
bought their tickets in January and came all the way from grimsby.
After the producers bloke wanders off I ask the couple what he said
and they told me this;
the producers had said the second half was about 'contacting the
dead' and the woman should think of some dead person she knew and
jot down a few details about them on a peice of paper (which she
kept and never showed the producer).

So at the end of the first half derren tels us not to come back if
we are uncomfertable with 'contacting the dead' and in the break to
think of someone we know who has died.

so the second half begins and near the end he comes up with (in a
very spooky mind cotrol way but I'm not saying how) a row letter and
a name, who, yes you've guessed it, turns out to be the woman I
spoke to earlier, who the producers also spoke to. So she goes up
on stage and he gives the name a details of the dead person she'd
written down before the show (but derren never mentioned her
writting this down and neither did she).

so after the show we're back in the bar (honestly, I'm not a heavy
drinker, I was just waiting around for derren to emerge) and I see
this woman again, so I go up to her and tell her I have to know what
happened. And she tells me derren was spot on pretty much about who
she was thinking about and showed me the bit of paper she'd written
it down on which had been up her sleve the whole time of the show
(both halves) and she had never shown the producer or told him
anything of what was on it.

so . . . they'd obviously planned to get her on stage in teh second
half and it was no coincidence (she was the only person I saw the
producer talk to) but she wasn't a plant and she didn't tell anyone
who this dead person was so derren did manage to get that on his
own, surely? And the talking to her before hand was becuase? . . .
perhaps to establish where she was sitting for when derren asked if
there was anybody in that row with that name, or for some other
reason? I'm confused why the producer spoke to her beofre the show
and asked her to write the stuff down (but like I keep saying, she
says he never read it - and she was slightly freaked out that
derren 'read' her mind). Anyone got any ideas on this?

like I said on my other post about the show this woman, and all the
others up on stage that I spoke to or heard talking, were convinced
that they hadn't been set up in any way and what happened to them
was just as the rest of us saw it, so derren wasn't cheating (too
much anyway, he always cheats which is why he wins most of the time!)

Rgds,

Ian

PS I hasten to point out that i don't spend my life scanning fan boards on yahoo - I was pointed at it from another magic forum!

Postby Guest » May 6th, 2003, 7:11 pm

This sounds like articles that Allen Spraggett wrote about going to a Kreskin show...ditto for Dunninger. Notice they mentioned the clipboard but didn't connect. This could be the person didn't think of written impressions,(hooray!) OR, it was natural for producers/production crew, to have a clipboard with him.(clipboard may have had TV production schedules/lists, clipped to it to complete the picture) If the latter is true, the clipboard was invisible/forgetable. I've worked rock clubs, where patrons are familiar, with those who go around gathering a mailing list for those who would like to know when/where their band is playing. My pre-show person was FORGETTABLE, as she went/worked the room. In the nightclub era, Bill Larsen's(Sr.) pre-show lady was dressed to be (presumed as) the camera/cigarette/host girl.

Postby Guest » May 7th, 2003, 7:19 am

If you can hire/convince/wheedle someone into being the clipboard wrangler, why not just have them circulate invisibly and collect information?

Shoot, you could probably do a whole TV show that way. Have someone collect the info for you, and you repeat it later as if...I dunno...as if you were getting the info from dead....SAYYYYYYYYYY!

Burke

Postby Guest » May 7th, 2003, 10:49 am

Above is very true, but the advantage of written pre-show work, is that audience members can think/say, that they didn't TELL anyone that...again, notice the (lack of)recall(?) of what happened at the Derren Brown show. But that can also be covered with lines like, "You haven't seen me until today, correct?" or "WE haven't talked before, have we?" OR better yet, the pre-show person can do both, getting written information, while noticing/listening other information...their appearance, conversations, etc. as well. Dunninger: "Your son's name is George, and he is finishing med school...and you didn't write that down, did you?!"

Postby Guest » May 9th, 2003, 9:56 pm

Hi All,

As the inventor of the Brown Hornet, let me answer a few of the above questions.

It's very important to not have a direct link between the clipboard and yourself. Here's how most people do it: They hand someone the clipboard, have them write something while they hover nearby, then immediately take it back. Of course an audience participant is going to get suspicious. The secret is to BREAK THIS CHAIN.

I usually let an audience member take it around for people to write on, then she brings it back and puts it away in my case while I talk to the audience about my premise. I get the peek -- which takes about a second -- when I go over to retrieve my sketchpad and pen. I also have a peek in full view of the audience, which uses a book as a cover.

100%? Hmm ... what is? I've occasionally performed center tears or billet switches, and had the ORIGINAL writing to look at -- and couldn't read it! I'd say the Hornet, and its little brother the Skeeter, is more reliable than even the legendary Nelson Ultra-Perfect Boards, which used to let me down on an occasional basis.

The Hornet captures writing as well as drawings. Clone Pad, Kopy Cat, and Buma do not capture writig as well, but are great for design dupe.

To increase the likelihood of grabbing legible writing, I always try to tag a large, extroverted person. The principles of Graphology state that such a person will write big and bold. And they almost always do.

If you want to check it out, go to my website of secret STUFF at www.jonsaintgermain.com/books.htm You have to access it through this link; the pages aren't accessable through my main portal.

I invented the Hornet, as I've done all my stuff, with ME in mind. I was tired of buying props and throwing them away as soon as I tried them out. It's a professional device intended for serious performers with some experience performing for real audiences. I made something that I would use, raod tested it to death, improved it, and them began making them for my friends.

I make them by hand, and am glad to make them in limited numbers for serious chaps. But be aware that I perform for a living, I'm away a lot, and I don't mass-market any of my stuff. So you might have to wait a couple of weeks if you order something. Also, if you're into debunking or sympathetic to skeptic groups, CSICOP, Randi, Shermer or Mark Edward, please do me the courtesy of not trying to buy anything from me.

I hope this helps, and e-mail me at johnriggs@comcast.net if you have questions.

John Riggs
Bugman

Postby Guest » May 10th, 2003, 1:54 am

Mr. Riggs: Thank you for the tips on using the Brown Hornet and for the general advice on using clipboards. I have been an admirer of your thinking on mentalism since reading "Heavy Mental", which contains many subtle ideas. I found your work with multiple outs particularly interesting.
To all of the above members: this was my first time starting a thread on this or any other forum. I had no idea that it would prove to be this lively, informative and useful. I appreciate all of the above comments.

Postby Guest » May 10th, 2003, 8:03 am

I'd say the Hornet, and its little brother the Skeeter, is more reliable than even the legendary Nelson Ultra-Perfect Boards, which used to let me down on an occasional basis.>>>>>

Don't get me wrong...the Skeeter is clever as hell, and works great......under ideal conditions. However...and without revealing anything...the critical area where the adhesive holds things together failed after the third performance even though I was mucho careful not to stress it.

Also, the pad, when held in the spec's hand OFTEN does not provide a stable enough base to get a good impression. Body mechanics. The hand holding it is opposed by the force of the hand pushing down as it writes. And when placed on the table, it becomes redundant.

Burke

Postby Guest » May 11th, 2003, 9:40 pm

The performance of any entertainment form, e.g. impression device, requires a certain level of competence,usually not provided in instructions.
The Hornet and Skeeter are far from idiot proof. I don't have any knowledge of any "worker" having a problem with Riggs' products. They are reliable , mpre so than most products offer
Using any impression device hpwever requires either knowledge, experience or both. When to use one, whennot to. The proper writing instrument, with Hornet, proper preparation before use as spelled out in instructions
An example, many yrs ago, I was workingin Mecca Magic behind the counter. A customer complained that we shouldn't sell the Adams finger chopper, because it was dangerous. He'd badly bruised his wife's finger doing it. Like I said nothingis idiot proof
from
Ford

Postby Guest » May 13th, 2003, 8:41 am

John Riggs said>>>It's very important to not have a direct link between the clipboard and yourself.>>>

Uhmmm...I thought the Skeeter was designed for performance use?

From John's website "Furthermore, you can peek this information in full view of the audience!"

and..."You can do this glimpse as you turn partially away, behind a screen such as a piece of paper or a book, as you put the Skeeter in your pocket, or between your cupped palms." (The latter being included as a realtime peek as you instruct the spectator on how to hold the billet so you can't see it.)

That ad copy doesn't exactly jibe with your statement quoted at the top of this post.

Make up your mind, John.

Burke

Tony Razzano

Postby Tony Razzano » May 13th, 2003, 10:41 am

What I use consistently are the Brown Hornet and Skeeter. Both are reliable most of the time. I will say that no matter what board I use, nothing is 100%.

My all time favorite was Lee Earle's Clone Pad, Jr which, unfortunately, is no longer available. I used to use it real time on stage. Killer!

Kopy Kat comes close, but there is a problem with the vynal hinge cracking. But the impression is fine. There might be a glare depending on lighting, but just small (and I mean small) tilt of the board solves the problem.
Best regards,
Tony Razzano

Postby Guest » May 13th, 2003, 1:51 pm

Kevin, I'm sorry you're disapointed with your purchase. if you'd like to return the Skeeter to me for a refund (minus a 15% restocking fee) I'd be glad to do so. I have a waiting list of people wanting one, so no big deal. I stand behind my products and have never let anyone down who needed help or a refund for any of my products.

John R

Postby Guest » May 13th, 2003, 2:39 pm

Originally posted by KevinBurke:
Originally posted by John Riggs:
[b] Kevin, I'm sorry you're disapointed with your purchase. if you'd like to return the Skeeter to me for a refund (minus a 15% restocking fee) I'd be glad to do so. I have a waiting list of people wanting one, so no big deal. I stand behind my products and have never let anyone down who needed help or a refund for any of my products.

John R
[/b]
John...there could not be a more honorable way to deal with my apparent dissatisfaction. Bravo, Sir!

But I think I'll hang onto it. It IS clever as all hell, and eventually I'll think of a way to use it that will be deceptive, funny, and worthy of all the work you put into it. Sincerely.

Thanks,
Burke

Postby Guest » May 13th, 2003, 8:05 pm

For pre-show work,(like Q&A) instead of "would you write...", it can help to say instead, "Would you calculate what goals you have for next year?" OR
"Please imagine where you would like to travel to, if you could,(just handing the paper,(clipboard) and pen) and fold it up and keep it to yourself for now."
On a fun note, a friend was to perform at a holiday banquet, for an investment firm, held at a hotel, that was having several parties for different companies during that busy season. While he got ready, he pointed his pre-show person to the room to quietly clipboard guests for the Q&A part of his show, while he got ready to go on. The firm's host met him and took him to THEIR ballroom, where he was to perform. The wrong room had been pre-showed!
Fortunately he had just enough time to have the right room pre-showed. (True story)

Postby Guest » May 17th, 2003, 10:07 am

Some time ago I shared a simple to make Clipboard device that allows you to gain an easy glimpse in a very innocent manner... there is no peeling back a panel, no extra pages, no A/B chemical or post impression "dusting" involved. It's clean and very direct as well as practical. I've used it with limited frequency with strong success.

I did post it on line as a give-away some time ago... I'll find the link and get it posted here soon! In the meantime, you may want to check out the "Ms Emily" routine featured @ Magic Bunny in the "Frosted Globe" competition last month... that could be something that would work as well.

Conus

Postby Conus » May 18th, 2003, 7:07 am

Thanks, Craig, for offering to share your idea.
Looking forward to it!

Postby Guest » August 9th, 2003, 8:32 pm

For those of you interested in my Brown Hornet line and other cool mentalist tools, i have new STUFF at: www.jonsaintgermain.com/books.htm

Check out the new impression device built into a single playing or Tarot Card.

John Riggs

Postby Guest » March 8th, 2006, 6:59 am

Hi All,

I'll be phasing out my product line during this year, so go to [url=John R [URL=www.jonsaintgermain.com/books.htm]Mentalist products[/url] ]John Riggs stuff[/URL]
to get it while you can.

Check out the new BUTTERFLY. It's cool!

John R

Return to “Mentalism & Mental Magic”