Mental Epic whiteboard -- which is best?

Instead of mentally projecting your mentalism thoughts, type them here.
jerry lazar

Mental Epic whiteboard -- which is best?

Postby jerry lazar » April 18th, 2007, 11:22 am

I'd appreciate input from those who've tried and/or use:

1) Joe Lefler's Supreme Slate of Mind
2) Mikame Mental Prediction Board
3) any other Mental Epic dry-erase board (NOT chalkboard)

I want to upgrade from chalboard to dry-erase, and am intrigued by the fact that #1 is "no force" and #2 is "inspectable" -- and I'm not asking anyone to tip method, but rather to relate their own experiences and opinions from using these, as they are all sizeable investments (compared to the $30 basic model)...

How difficult to use? How easy to prepare/reset? etc...

Yes, I'm well aware that there are many outstanding methods of accomplishing three-way one-ahead predictions without boards at all -- and in fact have used a few of those methods in different venues and circumstances...

But for current stage routine, I prefer the board... I want a whiteboard because it a) displays better; b) is cleaner; and c) is more modern and hence more recognizable and "natural" looking, especially to younger generation...

Many thanks in advance for whatever insight you can provide...

jerry

Brad Henderson

Re: Mental Epic whiteboard -- which is best?

Postby Brad Henderson » April 18th, 2007, 12:35 pm

Whit Hayden sold one too.

jerry lazar

Postby jerry lazar » April 18th, 2007, 12:42 pm

Whit Hayden sold one too.
Yes, thanks Brad... But I think Whit's (OOP?) "Killer Epic" is a very nice but conventionally-operated Epic whiteboard, and you're paying a lot extra for his (terrific) routine... I've got my own routine, just need the whiteboard... AND am curious about others' experiences with aforementioned variations... J.

Postby Guest » April 18th, 2007, 1:43 pm

I've used Joe Lefler's board in shows for the last four years or more. I liked it so much I bought a spare (although I'm still using the first board I bought and it's in good shape). I have several different routines/presentations using that prop and some different handlings depending on whether or not I'm using an audience volunteer onstage.

For about two years, I had it in every show I did. I still use it regularly. Count me as a big fan. I can't speak to the differences between it and the Mikame, but the Lefler prop is well made and has been a worker for me.

JMT

Jeff Haas

Postby Jeff Haas » April 18th, 2007, 3:58 pm

Whit's is a conventional Mental Epic board.

Philemon

Postby Philemon » April 19th, 2007, 12:54 pm

I too regularly use the Lefler board, and recommend it highly.

The no-force aspect makes this prop adaptable for any situation.

At a recent Alzheimer's benefit, I used it to predict each volunteer's favorite memory.

Postby Guest » April 19th, 2007, 5:42 pm

Jim Gerrish has published his Do-It-Yourself Mental Epilogue directions which can be made either with a whiteboard from Staples or a craft store (less than $10) or a piece of hardboard surfaced either as a whiteboard or chalkboard with spray paint. The method used is a no-force method based on a Steve Duschek idea. It can be found on my site under Gerrish's Hardboard and Duct Tape Magic Show Book 1.

jerry lazar

Postby jerry lazar » April 23rd, 2007, 11:11 am

It can be found on my site under Gerrish's Hardboard and Duct Tape Magic Show Book 1.
Don't be modest! I checked out the site -- http://www.magicnook.com -- and oh my goodness, what a treasure house! ... Dozens and dozens of effects that the handier among you can construct yourself, including a functional Dean's Box!... And the price is right -- most are $3, or even less if purchased as a group... Something for everyone, with effects for cards, coins, silks, ropes, and plenty more... I downloaded a couple and was pleasantly surprised... Clever stuff for do-it-yourselfers AND for kids with small budgets... Check it out!...

Still eager to hear feedback from those who have used either Mikame's Mental Epic whiteboard OR Lefler's Supreme Slate of Mind, or any other quality whiteboard they are pleased with... Thanks again!...

jerry lazar

Postby jerry lazar » May 30th, 2007, 11:37 am

OK, here's an update...
First, big thanks to all who shared their experiences with Mental Epic whiteboards and offered useful tips and sage advice ... Much appreciated!...
Though both the Mikame and Lefler get uniformly high marks as well constructed quality props, I lucked into an eBay bargain on the Lefler "no force" version... which I used last week at my Magic Castle Parlour show...It was terrific... One lesson I learned the hard way is that most dry-erase marker colors CANNOT be seen from the back row -- except BLACK... Also, use the slanted tip to get BIG FAT strokes for better visibility...
Plenty of people warn against using Mental Epic (or any mentalism effect) with kids -- BUT I dress up my presentation as a game (with a timely Harry Potter theme) in which participants try to "guess" the 3 choices I've made (color of a freely selected "snitch" from a wizard's "sorting hat," any page number from biggest HP book, and any word from HP book)...
Anyway, the Lefler board works beautifully... In fact there are several clever ways of achieving the final "non-forced" match, and I actually experimented with all of them... My only suggestion, which I am going to try myself, is that there should be small wooden knobs glued to the center of the covering panels to make them easier to lift off... They're attached by magnets, and trying to pry them loose for final revelations turned out to look a bit clumsy... Anyway, that's my report -- feel free to pose questions... And again, sincere thanks to those who took time to graciously and generously share knowledge... JL

Postby Guest » June 26th, 2007, 3:20 pm

You can also do it with 3 slips of paper and a clear drinking glass. I do that version on stage and it works very well.

Jonathan Levey

Postby Jonathan Levey » October 2nd, 2009, 10:30 pm

Dear Jerry,

You posted an interesting post in this forum a while back (circa 2007) asking fellow members which is best --Mental Epic or WHITEBOARD.

IN YOUR POST YOU POINTED OUT THAT ON YOUR SUPREME SLAT OF MIND PROP (MADE BY LEFLER) THE FLAT WOODEN BOARDS (COVERS) ARE DIFFICULT OT TAKE OFF THE SQUARES BECAUSE THEY ARE HELD ON TIGHT BY THE MAGNETIC STRIPS. YOU SUGGESTED YOU WOULD AFFIX A SMALL WOODEN KNOBS TO EACH WOODEN COVER TO MAKE THEM EASIER TO LIFT OFF... DID YOU EVER DO THIS? iF SO, BEFORE i TRY IT OUT ON MY SUPREME SLATE, DO YOU HAVE ANY ADVICE OR TIPS?

MANY THANKS IN ADVANCE.

JONATHAN

Joe Finkler

Gerrish's Version of Mental Epic

Postby Joe Finkler » January 26th, 2012, 4:33 pm

Jerry,

I read your dated series of posts about the Mental Epic device and routine with interest and I am keen to produce a routine as well received as yours to a group of colleagues next week. Therefore, I am very keen to find out if you purchased the Gerrish do-it-yourself version and what your comments are on this particular device. Otherwise, I may have to borrow the Lefler device from a magician friend.

Best,

Joe Finker

MrWizard

Postby MrWizard » August 2nd, 2013, 8:00 am

I too am interested to know if anyone has made one of the Mental Epilogue white boards by Jim Gerrish. I read it sounds really good. I would appreciate any comments in Jims version.

http://www.magicnook.com/hardboard/HDDTB1-10.htm

Richard

Spellbinder

Postby Spellbinder » August 22nd, 2013, 6:21 am

I had a chance to see Jim Gerrish getting ready for a show for which he was MC and was surprised to see him performing - not his own Mental Epilogue - but just using a regular Whiteboard (bulletin board size) from Staples - no gimmicks at all. He used large post-it note paper squares to cover his predictions - no gimmicks there, either. He had gone back to U.F. Grant's original "Citation" for this occasion just because it was so quick and easy and he wasn't out to prove anything with the padlocks that are on his board (and which he finds a little time consuming) so at the risk of messing up his sales, if you just want the Epic for its entertainment value and not for convincing someone you are a serious sayer of sooth, you might look into that. It's described in my own "Whiteboard Citation For Mentalists" in the Mini- Mysteries section (Book 2) of the Magic Nook, and Jim was the one who suggested that I put it in there.
Phineas Spellbinder
The Magic Nook

Return to “Mentalism & Mental Magic”