Question for my mentalist brethren

Instead of mentally projecting your mentalism thoughts, type them here.

Question for my mentalist brethren

Postby Guest » November 26th, 2007, 7:54 pm

Greetings mentalists.

I have long wanted to put together a brief act (as part of a larger magic show), featuring a woman with amazing powers, while playing the "master of ceremonies" or "facilitator" myself.

My "model" has been Harry and Leslie Anderson's long ago act, and how I have imagined acts from the golden age of spiritualism may have been in Victorian parlors--say 100 years ago...

I guess my questions boil down to this:
Say you meet a beautiful, sexy (and intelligent) woman who you believe could carry-off the persona of a mysterious sensation...(I have--heh heh...)
What tricks would you recommend for someone who is not versed in mentalism to teach a total amateur?

I have several ideas and wonder if anyone will respond:
I have thought of such items as "Scatterbrain" (I believe) from David Harkey's little book called "Ah-Ha";

"Musical-epathy" from Leslie Anderson's little booklet called "Eight Brass Monkeys";

The Annemann routine with a number of possible keys to a lock, in coin envelopes (one with a little bead inside), and the seeress divines which is the only key that works in the lock (is that actually "7 Keys To Baldpate"?);

I have thought a pseudo-psychometry effect would be good (ala Annemann or David Ben, from his book "Tricks");

I also have thought an animation or other demonstration of telekenesis would fit in...

I think those are pretty solid effects, but as mentioned, I am definitely not current in your area of expertise, and would be grateful for further suggestions: Would a few old chestnuts like the above still work in a parlor show?

Re: Question for my mentalist brethren

Postby Guest » November 26th, 2007, 8:47 pm

You might get some inspiration from Tony Shiel's The Shiels Effect (which, coincidentally, has a short few pages on The Hooker Rising Cards!).

- entity

Postby Guest » November 27th, 2007, 1:42 am

Originally posted by entity:
You might get some inspiration from Tony Shiel's The Shiels Effect (which, coincidentally, has a short few pages on The Hooker Rising Cards!).
See http://www.TheShielsEffect.com

Postby Guest » November 27th, 2007, 7:13 am

Dave:

If you can wade through the hype of that link, The Shiels Effect is a good book, part of which speaks to what you asked, taking a personable young woman and making her into a captivating Mentalist.

- entity

Postby Guest » November 27th, 2007, 8:30 am

Annemann's wonderful En Rapport routine would also be ideal for this situation.

Postby Guest » November 27th, 2007, 11:16 am

I see this as an excellent opportunity to present the "Georgia Wonder" act...

http://www.murphysmagic.com/s.nl/it.A/id.1471/.f

http://www.murphysmagic.com/s.nl/it.A/id.2065/.f

Return to “Mentalism & Mental Magic”