Best Slates

Instead of mentally projecting your mentalism thoughts, type them here.

Best Slates

Postby Guest » March 22nd, 2004, 4:30 pm

Hey Guys,

Looking for some suggestions on (flap) slates.

I have the Chazpro Magnetic Version... and I'm pleased with them, but it seems there's room for improvement.

I'm about to buy another set and figured I'd pop on here and ask for recommendations... If you have any tips, your help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Best Slates

Postby Guest » March 23rd, 2004, 4:11 pm

Owen / Thayer.

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
AB Stagecraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
Supplying unique mentalism world-wide

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » March 23rd, 2004, 6:33 pm

Abbott's made me a nice set a few years back, even though they were no longer selling them. Just the standard set (not locking), but perfect for many routines.

Jim Riser

Postby Jim Riser » March 23rd, 2004, 8:56 pm

If Dr. Q slates will work for your needs, Owen are probably the best being made right now. I do not like the cloth trim on the old Thayer version. It was appropriate when they were made, though (or in a period performance). If you can find a set of Haenchen or Nelson Dr. Q slates, you will be very pleased. I have both of these and they are as good as Dr. Q slates will get. Please be aware that there is slight "talking" when using the Dr. Q slates (as the flap falls into position). I cover this up with a piece of chalk rolling on the top slate as the flap drops.
Jim

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » March 23rd, 2004, 9:56 pm

Agree with Jim. Go to www.owenmagic.com and search, you will find the best.
Stay tooned.

Gary Brown

Postby Gary Brown » April 8th, 2004, 9:01 pm

Does anyone have an opinion on the Bazar slates?
Gary Brown

Postby Guest » April 9th, 2004, 10:14 am

In my search for good slates, I bought a set of those as well...

A one word review = serviceable.

But... I'm looking for something better...

I'm sold on the Owen slates... now I just have to sell my wife on em (or sell off one of my 3 kids!)

Gary Brown

Postby Gary Brown » April 9th, 2004, 9:01 pm

Yes, following up on this thread, I priced the Owen set. Wow! While I realize they must be good, they don't come cheap . . .
Gary Brown

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » April 9th, 2004, 9:12 pm

I have a custom set that is HUGE, 16x21, made by Owen. Double locking. If anyone is interested, contact me.

Postby Guest » July 16th, 2004, 5:19 am

Doug,
I saw Eric Anderson do a cool Drawing Duplication once and his "slates" were ripped from cardboard boxes. They weren't gaffed or anything but I think it's something to consider your props come from the environment.
There are sleight of hand methods to hide the secret writing or drawing or spirit message or what ever so why worry about a Flap?
I bet you could make up some kinda gaff version of a couple of torn off pieces of cardboard.

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » July 16th, 2004, 6:29 am

Oooh, nice idea, noah. Meanwhile, Chazpro makes a nice set of magnetic locking slates (that I own) and Hank Lee sells a similar set of Magnetic Spirit Slates from Bazar de Magia for $45 (that I haven't seen). You can find nice slates for a reasonable price.

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » July 17th, 2004, 12:06 am

Study the methods of the old mediums who did not use Dr Q slates, but readily available school slates that everyone was familiar with back in those days. There are handlings that allow you to show and number all four sides and produce a message.

Al Baker had a handling for one slate to produce a message and Al Mann wrote several manuscripts on slate methods using tricked and untricked slates. Peter Warlock wrote a book....the literature of the Craft is filled with information. The "best" slate routine is one that fits your needs and personality.

I used four ungimmicked slates at a lecture at Cal Tech a few years ago, producing a message from Neils Bohr (with his signature) for his friend, Murray Gell-Mann, congratulating him on winning the Nobel Prize and apologizing that it had taken him so long to get through. Murry later told me if I could do that for real, he'd get another Nobel. I said, "What do you mean 'you'?"

The old mediums knew that they had to have methods that would withstand "the grab," a sudden examination of their props by a curious or suspicious client. Four ungimmicked slates that are manipulated rather than gimmicked fit the bill.

Discount toy stores often sell real slates with slate from Portugal instead of metal that has been painted with slate paint. I bought a bunch of those years ago, removed the cheap plastic frames and had a friend make wood frames for them. Several pieces of slate were left without frames to act as flaps. I think the slates ran me about $2 each. Early Thayer Dr Q Slates were made of the real thing, flap as well. Everyone elses today seems to be made of painted metal.

cataquet

Postby cataquet » July 17th, 2004, 7:08 am

Doug, I have the Einstein slates that Duvivier put out a few years ago. They were index card sized and worked very well.

In the end, I ended up ripping them apart to relabel them for my routine. The downside of the set is that they aren't slates (in the sense that you can write something on them). Instead, they had preprinted designs (but that worked in the context of the routine), so you showed four surfaces and then showed 4 different surfaces.

Bye for now

Harold

Tony Razzano

Postby Tony Razzano » July 17th, 2004, 7:19 am

Originally posted by David Alexander:
Study the methods of the old mediums who did not use Dr Q slates, but readily available school slates that everyone was familiar with back in those days. There are handlings that allow you to show and number all four sides and produce a message.

Al Baker had a handling for one slate to produce a message and Al Mann wrote several manuscripts on slate methods using tricked and untricked slates. Peter Warlock wrote a book....the literature of the Craft is filled with information. The "best" slate routine is one that fits your needs and personality.

I used four ungimmicked slates at a lecture at Cal Tech a few years ago, producing a message from Neils Bohr (with his signature) for his friend, Murray Gell-Mann, congratulating him on winning the Nobel Prize and apologizing that it had taken him so long to get through. Murry later told me if I could do that for real, he'd get another Nobel. I said, "What do you mean 'you'?"

The old mediums knew that they had to have methods that would withstand "the grab," a sudden examination of their props by a curious or suspicious client. Four ungimmicked slates that are manipulated rather than gimmicked fit the bill.

Discount toy stores often sell real slates with slate from Portugal instead of metal that has been painted with slate paint. I bought a bunch of those years ago, removed the cheap plastic frames and had a friend make wood frames for them. Several pieces of slate were left without frames to act as flaps. I think the slates ran me about $2 each. Early Thayer Dr Q Slates were made of the real thing, flap as well. Everyone elses today seems to be made of painted metal.
Good points, David. In our "Cross Creek Graveyard Seance", I use ungimmicked slates that are totally examinable after the effect. Before, too, if there is a bit of time. Check the book "Turning Thoughts To Gold" by Alexander Thomas for excellent and deceptive slate moves with ugimmicked slates. You apparently show all four sides blank.

Best regards,
Tony Razzano
Best regards,
Tony Razzano

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 17th, 2004, 7:54 am

Don't overlook the "Best of All Slate Writing" by David P. Abbott in our August issue!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Return to “Mentalism & Mental Magic”