The Tale of the Buzbee for sale!

Your doorway to those rare collectibles that everyone is searching for: books, props, posters, cards, and paper ephemera are all here for you to buy and sell.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

The Tale of the Buzbee for sale!

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 12th, 2003, 5:02 pm

Brad Henderson has just posted a new auction and I'm the high bidder! Ha!

For Busby "fans"
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 2164773988

(Note that I've moved this from another thread which has been deleted.)
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Jonathan Townsend

Re: The Tale of the Buzbee for sale!

Postby Jonathan Townsend » March 12th, 2003, 5:52 pm

what item? the bee has stung? any updates from ebay?
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » March 12th, 2003, 6:01 pm

From ebay:

Your listing(s) did not offer an actual item for sale. Because it was in violation of eBay policy, your listing has been ended early. All associated fees have been credited to your account.

I have changed the listing and thrown in an actual COPY of the fable for sale.

See:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 2164847322

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 12th, 2003, 7:15 pm

I've just outbid Biro!

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » March 12th, 2003, 7:50 pm

Please note: all profits from the sale of this auction will go to the Busby v. Henderson legal defense fund.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 13th, 2003, 11:39 am

Well, it looks like that crook Busby has managed to have the eBay auction cancelled because he claims it infringes on his copyright or trademark!
Lying jerk!
I REPEAT: WILL SOMEONE PLEASE PUT SOME PAUL FOX ITEMS FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM?

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » March 13th, 2003, 12:06 pm

Isn't there some other online site where magic items could be sold?

If enought email was sent to eBay that they were losing customers becuase of JB then perhaps someone would get a clue.

Jim Sisti

Postby Jim Sisti » March 13th, 2003, 12:16 pm

Just as an interesting aside, while I'm certainly no expert on trademark and copyright law, it appears that Mr. Busby's trademark on the Paul Fox logo (the only thing he ever really registered) has been cancelled:

Paul Fox Trademark Status

Just doing my part... :D

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » March 13th, 2003, 12:22 pm

Thanks to Jim Sisti for this news; he has certainly fought the good fight over the years.

Jim -- is the story of your cups and the correspondence between you and your lawyers and Busby still on your site? The last time I looked, I didn't see it.

Perhaps Brad (or anyone who is trying to sell Paul Fox stuff on eBay) should alert eBay to this fact; maybe then they'll quit pulling stuff on his say-so.

Bill

Michael Edwards

Postby Michael Edwards » March 13th, 2003, 12:42 pm

While I am not a trademark attorney, I would suggest that you not read too much into this cancellation. My understanding is that trademarks generally run for 10 years, but the Commissioner can cancel them after six years if the the trademark holder fails to file an appropriate affidavit showing continued use. It is this Section 8 provision that is given as the reason for the cancellation in this instance.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 13th, 2003, 12:43 pm

Here's the public information from the Government's trademark website located by Jim Sisti. Note the bottom line! Now this is getting interesting!

Word Mark PF
Goods and Services (CANCELLED) IC 028. US 022 023 038 050. G & S: magic tricks.
FIRST USE: 19470000.
FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19470000
Mark Drawing Code (3)
DESIGN PLUS WORDS, LETTERS, AND/OR NUMBERS Design Search Code 260117
Serial Number 74618664
Filing Date January 6, 1995
Published for Opposition January 16, 1996 Registration Number 1966487
Registration Date April 9, 1996 Owner (REGISTRANT) JEFF BUSBY MAGIC, INC. CORPORATION IDAHO The Barnard Building 612 Cedar Street Wallace IDAHO 838732233
Description of Mark Applicant states that the design elements consist of the letter "P" in reverse and the letter "F" within a circle.
Type of Mark TRADEMARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Live/Dead Indicator DEAD
Cancellation Date January 11, 2003

Jim Sisti

Postby Jim Sisti » March 13th, 2003, 12:55 pm

While Michael's post should be noted, what we're discussing is the only trade mark Busby has ever registered in regards to anything Paul Fox - that is, the Paul Fox logo - the PF (with a backward "F") and a circle around the letters. There is absolutely no design protection for the cups themselves. None.

However, it should be noted (and this will cause Richard an appropriate guffaw) that the only copyrights he holds (he has several for various books and props) include volumes of the Fred Braue Notebooks!

This is a guy who has balls that would seem to be far out of proportion to his apparently diminuitive stature.

To Bill Mullins - I took all of that stuff down when it seemed that interest had run its course. I do, however, fax it gleefully to any who have asked.

It should be noted that Richard Osterlind and myself are doing some behind the scenes wrangling that may bring the eBay situation to a satisfactory conclusion.

I'll keep you all posted...

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » March 13th, 2003, 1:10 pm

Jim -- I would like to get copies of that stuff -- it was very interesting. Email me at bill.mullins@ws.redstone.army.mil and I'll send you a fax number.

Thanks,

Bill

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » March 13th, 2003, 1:13 pm

Several years ago Busby released a lecture tape of Derek Dingle and two tapes of Larry Jennings, all called "The Paris Sessions", because they were taped at Duvivier's Le Double Fond nightclub. The relevance of this to any discussion of Jeff Busby and Intellectual Property is that the tapes use music from the soundtrack of "The Firm", composed and played by Dave Grusin, without credit, attribution, or any notation that they music is copyrighted by the publisher or the artist.

I tried to let the movie studio that did the movie (Sony?? it's been a while....) know about this, but got lost in a voice mail hell, and never found out the right office.

Bill Mullins

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » March 13th, 2003, 1:17 pm

This is posted on the other Fox forum as well.

I have contacted ebay and will put up a good fight. If they drop the ball, I will post the fable here and suggest we all list it. (I'll also include a REAL statement of rights purchase so you can add that to your listing).

If anyone has a number at which I can talk to someone at ebay, please pass it on. mrbradman1@aol.com

I'm happy to fight it.

Bring down the BEE!!!!

Postby Guest » March 13th, 2003, 1:57 pm

Hello all,

Well, I've read all 21 prior posts and I have seen other references to what a no-goo-son-of-a-gun JB is but I'm unclear why he keeps kicking sand in everyones eyes (Sorry, I'm old enough to remember the old Charles Atlas-98lb weekling ads that ran on the back of many "52 full pages for a dime" comic books).

I'm gathering that he is resisting having Paul Fox cups sold by anyone else and that the reason appears to be a PFw/circle "trademark".

Now, you've got me curious!

Questions:

1. Is JB claiming propriatary interest in anything designated as "Paul Fox" including anything that pre-dates his Trademark Registration.

2. Is JB claiming prpiratary interest in anything designated as "Paul Fox" that post dates his Trademark Resgistration--EVEN those items that do NOT encompass his PF/circle?

3. By virtue of his PF/circle, is JB claiming legal ownership of the NAME "Paul FOX"?

4. What is the fable item and what is it about the fable item that JB is claiming violates his Copyright Trademark?

5. Why is it that everyone continues to hit their head into the eBay brickwall? Why not go onto the Genii site where Richard won't acede to JB's threats and tantrums? Is it just a game to see if someone can "sneak" (not used in the pajorative sense) something by both JB and eBay?

6. Has anyone advised eBay that they were contemplating legal action against both eBay and JB for besmiching their good name (in selling legal merchandise) and for injury to their business reputation and for business injury (lost sales and profits).

7. What is the legal restriction(s), if any, for someone to sell an item he legally owns that might or might not have a Trademark attached? Carrying JB's argument to its logical conclusion would reduce commerce as we now know and as commerce is generally accepted. No more second-hand stores, no more used automobiles for sale, no more sales of anything except "new item sales"!! The implications are staggaring!!! How does eBay respond to such observation(s)?

Just my two cents worth.

Turk

Postby Guest » March 13th, 2003, 2:43 pm

Turk,

I'll let the experts give you more of a detailed reply, but in a nutshell the guy is just that... NUTS. He had a cups & ball set I ran on Ebay a couple of years ago stopped simply because the cups had "three beads" around the center. There was NO mention of Paul Fox or Busby in the auction description and they were NOT Paul Fox copies. I don't care if he owned the rights to every Paul Fox related item on the planet, he had NO right ending that auction. It appears he thinks he owns the right to anything he desires when in fact it appears he really does not "own" the rights to anything.

As far as Ebay...they basically take your word for it...you simply file a form with them stating you own something and sign it. They do not verify any of the information. So its my guess that he has filed dozens of forms claiming ownership to all sorts of stuff. If you want to get a good idea on what a quack this guys is, have a look at his about me page on ebay....

http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/jeff_busby_magic_inc/

Here is my contribution to the cause:

Just out... 1st in a series "BUS-BEE".

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 2164979252

Lets see if he can get this one closed.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 13th, 2003, 3:02 pm

It won't last long, but I bid!
Regarding Busby's copyrights on the Braue Notebooks, they were filed illegally in the following sense. Busby does not and never has owned the material within the notebooks, even though he may have obtained some of the original notebooks from Lloyd Jones. There is another individual who owns several Braue notebooks that Busby evidentally didn't get his hands on.
Fred Braue's daughter owns the rights to Fred Braue's written material--and the Braue Notebooks.
I believe someone else is going to put out ALL of the Braue notebooks very shortly :) .

Jim Riser

Postby Jim Riser » March 13th, 2003, 4:18 pm

Guys;
I have tried to dig out as much factual material as possible regarding the Danny Dew/Paul Fox relationship concerning the Paul Fox Cups and have posted it on my cups site.

http://www.jamesriser.com/Cups/PaulFox.html

At a later date David Ben will most likely have additional interesting info gathered from the correspondence tapes between Paul Fox and Ross Bertram. I do appreciate all of the help I have received doing this research.

In the interest of presenting the full picture of later events, I would like permission to include the Fable, the Bus-Bee Image, and Jim Sisti, any documentation that you would like to share regarding your adventures with Busby. I know of no other place where it has all been put together - and it is time to tell the rest of the story.
Jim

Postby Guest » March 13th, 2003, 5:47 pm

Busby's various ownership claims are listed in excruciating detail on his ebay About Me page. It's linked above. It's hard to wade through so much stuff without heavy equipment, but in a nutshell:

1. Busby claims to own trademarks on a whole slew of magic-related names and variations thereof. If you use any of the verboten words on his list in one of your auction, he'll have the auction pulled as an infringement of his trademark.

2. If you don't mention any of his forbidden words, he'll have your auction pulled on the theory that the item is a counterfeit rip-off of his genuine products. His "reasoning" so to speak is that if you were selling a genuine item, you would say what it was. A seller's failure to use the verboten words is, in Busby's mind, proof that the item is a fake.

For some reason, I'm reminded of a Joseph Heller novel.

I think it was Chesterton who showed the futility of arguing with a lunatic. If a madman tells you that Richard Kaufman and others on the Genii Forum are conspiring against him, you cannot refute him by saying that you spoke to the alleged conspirators and they deny it. After all, if there really was a conspiracy, the conspirators would surely deny it. For the madman, the more vehement the denials, the greater the proof of guilt.

Likewise, if a madman believes he owns the trademark to Paul Fox cups and all things associated with Paul Fox, including the name "Paul Fox" and the initials "PF," and that certain people were trying to steal his lawful trademarks, you cannot convince him he is wrong even if you demonstrate that the rest of the world utterly rejects his claims. After all, if there really were people out cheat him, surely they would try to convince people to reject his claims. For the madman, the more overwhelming the rejection, the greater the injury he has sustained.

Busby apparently cannot fathom any possible explanation for other people engaging in certain transactions, except to cheat Jeff Busby. It never seems to dawn on him that other people might actually OWN genuine sets of Paul Fox cups manufactured by Danny Dew long before Busby entered the scene. It never dawns on him, at least as far as others are concerned, that ownership of something includes the right to sell it if you so choose.

Hence it doesn't phase Busby that his absurd Catch-22 inversion of trademarks violates other people's fundamental right to dispose of their property as they see fit. In Busby's mind, Busby's rights are absolute and everyone else's rights do not exist if they so much as inadvertently brush against his far-reaching interests, no matter how slightly.

There is no dispute, even from Busby (I think), that genuine Paul Fox cups manufactured by Danny Dew actually do exist. We have seen the advertisements for the Paul Fox cups made by Danny Dew in the old magazines. We have seen the cups themselves in the homes of friends and fellow collectors.

There is no dispute that Paul Fox sold a number of cups before he entered into any agreement with Busby. Hence, there can be no dispute that, whatever agreements Paul Fox entered into with Jeff Busby, Paul Fox could have lawfully sold to Busby any property he (Paul Fox) no longer owned.

If it is known that genuine Paul Fox cups manufactured by Danny Dew exist and it is also known that Paul Fox sold them to others before whatever arrangement he made with Busby, then it follows that there are people with pre-existing ownership interests in Paul Fox cups that Jeff Busby did not and could not thereafter lawfully or otherwise acquire from Paul Fox.

And there can be no dispute that Busby's actions violated the fundamental property rights of every lawful owner of Paul Fox cups who tried to sell them on ebay only to have the auction shut down by Busby.

The case has never gone to court, yet Busby has already lost. The marketplace has seen the evidence and it has rendered its verdict.

We have seen the Paul Fox cups made by Danny Dew.

We have seen Busby's alleged genuine Paul Fox cups.

If the Paul Fox cups manufactured by Danny Dew are the Excalibur of cups, the inferior cups Busby sells more closely resemble the obviously-fake chicken bones passed off as the relics of martyrs and saints.

Case dismissed.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » March 13th, 2003, 9:03 pm

Roger Klause has some critical information ont he Dew/Fox/Busby debacle. I would particularly enjoy seeing the tale from the convention with Jay Marshall and the phone call to Melba recounted on the forum.

For those that have asked, here is the text of the fable:

You are bidding on the ORIGINAL COPY of the following fable. In addition to receiving the original copy (quality ink jet print), #1 of 1 you will receive the rights to this fable.

I am selling this piece on consignment. The author wished to remain anonymous. The content of the fable does not neccessarily reflect the opinion of the seller.

Fables are fictional stories, with a moral that holds value for everyone, today. Any resemblance to any people living or dead is purely a coincidence. This is a fable, not a documentary. Everyone go that?

This is a story of a Fox, named Paul. Our Fox, Paul was a magician. He loved magic and liked to invent tricks. One of our Fox's most favorite tricks was a classic in magic that dates back thousands of years. This ancient trick to which no one owns the rights is the Cups and Balls. However, our Fox, Paul made some beautiful cups and balls.

Paul the Fox's best friend was the morning Dew. The Dew's name was Danny. Paul the Fox decided it would be fun to have Danny the Dew help in manufacture some of his classic pieces of magic such as the Fox's Cups and Balls. Danny the Dew made beautiful cups. Everyone loved them.

Unfortunately the Dew, Danny became old. He no longer had the time nor energy to make Paul the Fox's wonderful tricks. Somehow, one of the forest's creatures, a Bee, found out about this. The Bee was very Busy, and always buzzed a lot. His name was the Buzz Bee. Most of the forest creatures knew better than to do business with the Buzz Bee, but for some arcane reason Danny the Dew trusted the Buzz Bee and arranged to sell the rights for all of his friends Paul the Fox's material.

Now kids, this is where the story gets interesting. You see, Danny the Dew believed in God and in the good nature of people. So did Danny's wife. SO, it shouldn't surprise you that when the Buzz Bee never followed through on the agreement to pay for the rights to all of the Fox's properties, Danny the Dew didn't raise a fuss. Neither did his wife, all though the last few years were very tough on her.

No, the Buzzy Bee goes around and instead of sharing the magic created by our Fox, Paul, he hoards it away. Along with a stack of notebooks many people are waiting for, I'm told.

Also, the Buzz Bee won't let people sell any of Paul the Fox's creations. Why? I don't know. Many of these people were trying to sell items we know were made before Buzzy Bee conned the morning Dew into selling him the rights. Though, does he own the rights? DO you own something if you never paid for it?

And that's the story of Buzz Bee; our Fox, Paul; and the morning dew named Danny. Stay tuned for part 2, when a Farmer, Bob contacts the sister of a vowel with bushy facial hair. His friends called him the Brow-E. The Buzz Bee never paid for those rights either.

The moral of the story: Maybe all the creatures in the magical farm should get together and ask to see some of Mr. Buzz the Bee's paperwork. Someone should be held accountable. If only for the Dew's wife.

Please note: All characters and character names are the sole creation of the seller of this auction. These names are purely fictional and are protected under the fair use laws of the United States and First amendment. Only someone who would care to have our constitutional rights ripped asunder would try to close this auction, unless of course they believed that what was written here was somehow true, and in doing so, wouldn't that be an admission of guilt?

Winning bidders receive rights to distribute this fable for their own use as well as an ORIGINAL copy of said fable. Commercial rights reserved by the seller, though he would be happy to see his work appear in other auctions and in trade journals.

Enjoy.

Brian Morton

Postby Brian Morton » March 13th, 2003, 9:43 pm

Michael S posted:
You need to mention "Paul Fox" in there! Else he won't see it!

C'mon, c'mon, c'mon! I wanna see how this comes out!

brian :cool:

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » March 13th, 2003, 11:58 pm

Postby Guest » March 14th, 2003, 1:09 am

Hi Brian,

Oh..I am pretty sure he will see it. He has ended plenty of auctions that make no mention of the Paul Fox name or Busby name. I do not think he could get the Bus-Bee stopped....but if he does...we will really know how far he has gone with his VeRo lies to Ebay.

Not to worry my friend....his name along with Paul Fox will be mentioned plenty...this is just the beginning of the BUS-BEE line of magical crap.

We have all swallowed this BS from him long enough and it appears the troops are fed up once and for all. If enough people become aware of what a crook this guy is (its not just this Fox stuff....many other forum members could tell stories of how he has ripped off people for years) he and his business will vanish into the hole from which he crawls out of.

I should also mention that if anyone out there ever hears from Busby regarding any of this, DO NOT be intimidated. I have heard he is a loud mouth that talks big and tries to scare people into thinking they will be sued. The fact of the matter is, he is a spineless weasel with zero backbone and would not be caught anywhere near a courthouse. One could only hope to get him into a courtroom, by the time a judge is finished with him, he would never find his way out.

Jim Riser

Postby Jim Riser » March 14th, 2003, 12:02 pm

Guys;
We may actually have caught ebay's attention in the Buzz Bee matter. I just received an email from ebay's in-house lawyer wanting to get in touch with Paul Fox's heirs. I gave him Paul's daughter's email address and warned her of the message she would be getting. Things are looking up! I'd love to see the Paul Fox name returned to the family where it belongs.

We may actually be fixing a big wrong here! I'll keep you posted if I hear back from ebay's lawyer.
Jim

Postby Guest » March 14th, 2003, 12:08 pm

For what it's worth,
Good JOB Everyone!!!
Let's hope that we can force a regime change on the Paul Fox name

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » March 14th, 2003, 12:40 pm

Jim,

That's great to hear. You did well. Hopefully this the beginning of the end for this weasel.

Keep us posted.
Please visit my website.
http://houdinihimself.com/
I buy,sell + trade Houdini, Hardeen items.

Gary

Postby Gary » March 14th, 2003, 2:27 pm

Not directly related to the ebay deal but some might find this of interest. In a letter that I received (dated 4-22-90) from Ross Bertram he says "Jeff Busby visited ber a while back and asked if he could sell my cups with the understanding I would supply cups to him. My answer was an emphatic "NO! He said they were the best cups he'd ever seen - of course I hear this from others all the time. Jeff then made a deal with my friend Danny Dew to purchase the chucks etc to produce the Paul Fox cups. More recently Jeff has advertised the Paul Fox cups as being the worlds best, etc at extremely high prices. He even went so far as to LIFT MY IDEA of the circle with the P.F. in the cups. In any case, I wish him well and hope he becomes wealthy."

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » March 14th, 2003, 3:02 pm

I've contributed whatmay be my final auction in the cause of bringing down the bee.

It can be found at:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 2165172562

A member of this forum wisely advised caution in regard to these auctions in that they may make us appear more as pranksters than person's with legitimate cause. He pointed out that these auctions may be perceived as SPAM by ebay. He has a very real point and one I think we should all consider. I would hate to see some of the doors which are opening, close.

The poem I published was done with a specific reason. I wanted to see if I were on a Busby watch list now. If he pulls the poem then it is dramatically clear that he is abusing his power as nowhere in the poem is there a violation of his IP claims, yet it clearly takes a piss at him.

The last listing, the Paul/Fox Cup trick was contributed by a source who truly wishes to remain anonymous. I had promised to post it and am following through.

I hope it brings smiles.

If there is anything I can do, however, for the cause know that I'm there without question. And should we decide that there is no harm in pursuing action via parody on ebay, then I'll put the thinking cap back on again.

Bring down the BEE!!!

Postby Guest » March 14th, 2003, 4:16 pm

Richard K et al,
May I humbly suggest that you put aside the "list the price for the item" on this page for all Paul Fox" items and anything else that will stick in Busby's craw. The thread can be an open auction with a finish date and time (so it is on the up and up) where people can post via "reply" how much they bid until the finish time. Not a damned thing he can do for that if you do and since it is your board, you can hold whatever auction you want on here if you do.

Just an idea.
as always I remain,
PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
http://www.stores.ebay.ca/ABstagecraft
Supplying Unique Mentalism World-wide

Postby Guest » March 14th, 2003, 5:12 pm

DAMN!

Brad! I was gonna do those cups!

My patter went something like this

The amazing new Paul Fox Cup!

Roomy enough for a two ball finale!

Special lip on the cup to keep from spilling the final load prematurely!

Handy carrying straps for when not in use.

Comes in Small, medium and emperor size

Please specify when placing order.

"Rosie"

Postby Guest » March 14th, 2003, 11:28 pm

Thanks for the replies to my inquiries.

Over and over again I keep reading that eBay takes the word of the complainer (its better to err on the side of caution that to potentially be brought into a lawsuit as participating in a trademark infrigement, etc.).

Over and over again, I keep reading that JB does NOT have any valid trademark rights to the PF name, the PF/circle trademark logo, etc.

Putting the above two comments together, and assuming for the sake of argument only that both statements might be correct (that eBay pulls ads immediately without investigating the legitimacy of the claim and that JB does NOT have the rights he is claiming that he does), has anyone ever turned (or attempted to turn) JB's tactic against him and complained to eBay that JB does NOT have the right to sell or claim his purported interest in the Paul Fox name, the cups, etc. or claiming that JB's actions or assertions are a restaint of trade and are causing a person economic deprivation by causing the complainer to not be able to sell his item on eBay because of JB's ownership assertions?

Query: Is legal Jui-Jitsu the use of taking a person's own legal actions and turning them around and using those very actions against him?

Just thinking out loud and, by this post, NOT advocating any position one way or the other NOR am I recommending any particular course of action.

Turk

Kurt Lee Flickner

Postby Kurt Lee Flickner » March 16th, 2003, 6:05 pm

Michael S
posted March 13, 2003 02:43

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 2164979252

Lets see if he can get this one closed.

Well this guy will not go quietly into the night,,,, this auction was just closed,,, :mad:

Kurt Flickner
www.MagicEstateSale.com
Kurt Lee Flickner
www.MagicEstateSale.com

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 16th, 2003, 7:46 pm

I believe that once eBay's attorney speaks with Paul Fox's daughter, matters should move along rather quickly. :)

Chris Bailey

Postby Chris Bailey » March 16th, 2003, 9:43 pm

Are they contacting her? Or is she contacting Ebay?

Jim Riser

Postby Jim Riser » March 18th, 2003, 1:38 pm

Current status:

I have not heard back from ebay's lawyer. I'll keep you posted.

Paul Fox's daughter told me that she is interested in selling her father's (the real Paul Fox) tux with all of its secrets pockets, etc. I told her that I would handle notifying people on this forum that it was available. If you are seriously interested, please contact me off line. Cheap bargain hunters who want to resell it on ebay or elsewhere need not write. Any serious offers?

Jim

Postby Guest » March 18th, 2003, 1:40 pm

Great work Jim!!

Well, guys...I was away the last few days getting married...but I have to admit my BUS-BEE auction was looming in the back of mind throughout the weekend. I cannot believe he was able to get that auction stopped. It made NO mention of the words, PAUL, FOX, BUSBY or anything. It is possible he got it stopped due to the fact that it was an obvious slam at his character...but even so it shows how much he has BS'd Ebay.

I have some other ideas that I am brewing up. that will get the message out, while at the same time cannot be construed as a "joke" by the Ebay police. I am leaving for my Honeymoon at the end of the week, but when I return, I am not giving up on the matter this time. I gave up a few years ago after a meager challenge to Busby and Ebay and I hope many of you will continue the fight.

I do not have any Paul Fox items to sell, nor am I even seeking any to buy, but this situation has got to be stopped. It is completely unfair to those of you THAT DO want to sell or buy a secondhand item and you should have every right to do so on Ebay or wherever you choose.

Even though Busby does not own any rights to anything and has Ebay thinking he does....Ebay should know that is not an infringement upon any trademark to use an actual given name of any particular item to buy or sell such item in the "secondary market". If it was an infringement, classified ads would be illegal in every printed newspaper and publication in the US. If Ebay wants to police the products being sold on their website (and I think its good that they do), then they should police it FULLY and thoroughly and not be applying the same generic rules to both new and secondhand merchandise. I think Ebay is a wonderful place, but anyone that has tried to contact them or solve an issue knows they operate on a cut and paste mentality. Maybe all our efforts with this little magic situation will shed some light upon their eyes.

Keep up the good work everyone!!

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » March 18th, 2003, 2:14 pm

The poem I offered also had no "Busby" words in it. But it was labeled a joke and thereby pulled. I am contacting ebay and hope to have it up again.

You can sell Mad magazines, Majoke, and Michael Moore but you can;t sell a parody of a photo (refering to the Fox/Paul pic)?

They got some serious 'splaining to do.

Dave Egleston

Postby Dave Egleston » March 18th, 2003, 3:19 pm

I wrote a letter to eBay asking exactly why these items were pulled - As A potential winning bidder - I felt they pulled a legal and desirable auction item - Therefore hindering my quest to complete my collection of esoteric poetry authored by Brad Henderson and trying to start a collection of Bus-Bee's - this one being offered "The first of a series"

There policy states an answer would be received within 36 hours - ain't happened yet.

Dave

Chris Bailey

Postby Chris Bailey » March 19th, 2003, 6:42 am

Do you think if Paul Fox's daughter put her dads tux on ebay it would get pulled by Busby? That would be interesting...

Return to “Collector's Marketplace”