Tubthumping

Your doorway to those rare collectibles that everyone is searching for: books, props, posters, cards, and paper ephemera are all here for you to buy and sell.
Bill Duncan

Tubthumping

Postby Bill Duncan » October 5th, 2003, 9:59 pm

I would like to invite you to visit the Tubthumping website and read about a new book on scripting and performing close-up magic.

Tubthumping is directed at the intermediate close-up worker. This forty-six page manuscript contains eight essays on various aspects of presenting close up magic. In addition to the tricks you'll find an emphasis on solving the "problems" in several well-known effects via scripting and various theatrical and psychological strategies.

Included are my (almost) moveless coins across routine "Psychological Coins Across" which has received kudos from some of the best coin workers and my motived script for "The Changing Coin" (aka "Spellbound").

There's also a moveless kicker ending for Larry Jennings' version of "The Homing Card" and a multi-coin aquitment that you'll use for the rest of your life...

Plus, my personal favorite: a script for Paul Harris' "The Ultimate Rip Off" that explains why you shouldn't restore that last piece... (someone could die!).

When you visit the website you'll also find a sample of the type of material that's in the book: my reimagining of Bro. John Hamman's "The Magic Cards". This item did not make it into Tubthumping but it's too much fun not to share.

Edwin Corrie

Re: Tubthumping

Postby Edwin Corrie » October 6th, 2003, 3:44 am

The manuscript sounds very interesting - especially if the handling of Daley's Last Trick that you posted in another thread not long ago is anything to go by.

Unfortunately the cost and logistics of sending money to America from here are quite off-putting (unless I just send cash). Will it be available through dealers so that I can make up a bigger order and use a credit card?

I liked your reworking of The Magic Cards too. Just a thought: how about arranging the Magic Cards with the joker at the face and showing them as three jokers using Vallarino's Rumba Count (scooping the pile at the end to put them in the right order)? You could then explain that decks come with jokers because they can represent any card, and that you once bought a deck with three in it. Since they are supposed to be jokers they could even be from the same deck, although you'd lose the rather nice colour contrast aspect.

As I say, it's just an idea.

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » October 6th, 2003, 9:24 am

Edwin,

You mean this thread? Dr Daley\'s Last Trick

I don't yet have a dealer who is selling Tubthumping but please have your local shop contact me and we'll work something out.

I've just recently sent an announcement to a couple of dealers with whom I'd like to be associated so hopefully I'll be able to post that information soon.

I'll put your address in my book and let you know when as something is official.

cheers
bill

Postby Guest » October 6th, 2003, 2:28 pm

Gents, having corresponded with Mr. Duncan at some length about the routines in "Tubthumping" I'll just say this: Buy it. Just buy it. "Psychological Coins Across" alone is worth far more than the asking price for the whole book. There's some very, very serious food for thought in there.

Best,

Geoff

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » October 6th, 2003, 11:09 pm

Mr. Latta,
That means a lot. Thank you very much.

Postby Guest » October 7th, 2003, 8:29 am

I have read Tubthumping. So should you. Vernon would be impressed at the delightful way in which Mr. Duncan "swindles" the public in his coins across. The "less is more" concept bears fruit here, as his coins across demonstrates. Using pychological ploys to eliminate "moves" is an old idea, but one that is rarely well applied. Mr. Duncan applies it well.

Duncans' thoughtful approach to other problems, frequently encountered, is inspirational. Consider the problem of the F/U card trick. Duncan attacks this in his solution to the "Card to Forehead". If it does nothing more than make you think about the problem, then his effort has been worthwhile.

And then there is the problem of confusing card tricks. You know, the ones where there is too much to remember, and it is all so similar that even if you think you've got it, by the end of the trick you just aren't sure? Well, Mr. Duncans approach to "Daley's Last Trick" addresses this issue, and again, is worth the reading, just for the mental pot his writing stirs.

His solutions? Well, I think they are good, but this is a very subjective area. No matter, the book is thought-provoking, and that alone is enough to recommend it - if you actually get some tricks out of it, you are well ahead of the game. For myself, I'm not only well ahead after reading Tubthumping, I think I've probably won the game!

Best, PSC

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » October 8th, 2003, 12:14 pm

Mr. Chosse,
Thank you. You are more than kind.
bill

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » October 8th, 2003, 1:39 pm

Originally posted by Bill Duncan:
...a new book on scripting and performing close-up magic.
I was fortunate enough to get this book early. At some point we all have to look at HOW we perform as well as the mechanics of WHAT we perform.

Connecting the tricks we know to the audiences we meet is an important skill. Bill has shared some of his thinking and provided good examples to perform as well as inspire.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » October 9th, 2003, 10:47 am

Jon,
Thanks for the kind words and for taking the time...

mark

Postby mark » October 10th, 2003, 4:07 pm

I just wanted to write a line or two about Bill's book, Tubthumping - which name, by the way, is a pretty good typing exercise. I received the book today, and I have to say that this delivers more bang for the dollar than anything that I have run into since Geoff William's stuff at LVMI. He gives not only the effects, but the work, the work behind the work, and scripting which is awesome. I hope I'm not gushing too much here, but finding anything like this for twelve bucks would be quite a task. Well done, Bill. Color me a wildly satisfied customer. What's next?

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » October 11th, 2003, 12:09 pm

Thanks Mark.

I have a couple of other irons in the fire, but right now I'm focusing on getting Tubthumping out and making sure orders don't get delayed.

Click here for the list

Those, plus a manuscript featuring my Ambitious Card routine and the effects that frame it, with alternate methods (for the framing effects) that are not impromptu.

The routine was designed to be done with a borrowed pack, but in more formal situations I'd start with a setup, ring in a gaff for one of the introductory effects and end with a stacked deck.

Postby Guest » October 17th, 2003, 1:31 pm

I recieved Tubthumping this a.m.

Just in time for my "after morning coffee" ... which lead to my morning bath... I couldn't put Tubthumping down...An hour later I emerged from the tub... pruned to the bone... & a much better magician.

Allow me to second all opinions above and reccomend this fine tome to anyone interested in bettering their magic (especially if you have interest in any of the effects mentioned in the Contents.) This is a well written booklet that gives lots of incredible info which will apply to MANY effects.

Bill deserves your money... and your laymen deserve better magic... if you haven't recieved & read tubthumbing... I suggest doing so.

Thanks Mr. Duncan,
Simply Superb.
Doug Conn

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » October 19th, 2003, 2:09 pm

Originally posted by D. Conn:
...An hour later I emerged from the tub... pruned to the bone.
Mr. Conn,
I've been trying for two days to come up with a tub/tubthumping pun but I just can't seem to think of one.

So I'll just say thank you.
bill

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » October 31st, 2003, 11:02 pm

Originally posted by Edwin Corrie:
Unfortunately the cost and logistics of sending money to America from here are quite off-putting (unless I just send cash). Will it be available through dealers so that I can make up a bigger order and use a credit card?
Edwin,
I'm happy to say that H&R Magic Books has answered your request.

For anyone who wishes to use a credit card or PayPal and for international orders Tubthumping is now available from their website. Click here to visit H&R Books and then search on "Tubthumping".

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » September 7th, 2004, 11:42 pm

Inspired by David Acer's kind review and emails from a couple of folks who noted that it wasn't clear where they could find Tubthumping I've collected some user reviews and updated the Tubthumping page on my website.

Reader comments on Tubthumping
Link to MyLovelyAssistant.com review of Tubthumping

While you're there you can also read about Tribute, my new manuscript which will also be available from H&R Magic Books.

Edwin Corrie

Postby Edwin Corrie » September 8th, 2004, 4:05 am

Thanks for the information - that's good news. Now if they'd just stock Tribute as well...

Seriously, though, I shall be paying a visit to the H&R site soon (and then paying some money to their account).

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » September 8th, 2004, 8:48 am

Edwin,
If you'd like I'll drop you a note as soon as the shipment goes out to H&R. They aready have a big order in... I just have to get them from the printer and in the mail.

Edwin Corrie

Postby Edwin Corrie » September 8th, 2004, 2:10 pm

That'd be great. I don't know if I'm important enough to deserve a personal notification, but perhaps you could post it here in this thread. It would probably be of interest to others too.

Frank Starsinic

Postby Frank Starsinic » September 8th, 2004, 2:32 pm

I've heard great things. I'll buy a copy right now.

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » September 8th, 2004, 6:50 pm

Will do Edwin...

I got the impression you didn't get here all that often and didn't want to let a customer down.
:)

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » January 16th, 2005, 7:17 pm

Some months back a Tubthumping reader asked me if I could point him to an in print source for Max Maven's routine "Sans Fronds" which is referenced in my manuscript.

I contacted Mr. Maven who informed me that the only place it has been published is in the original source, the New York Magic Symposium 3 which is sadly, out of print.

I had thought that I saved the gentleman's email address but it appears I have not. So, if you are the person who contacted me about finding this excellent routine in print Dick Hatch has placed a complete set of the Symp. books on E-Bay. The book in question can be located by clicking on the link above.

My appologies for losing your address.
bill

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » August 24th, 2005, 4:43 pm

I'm happy to report that Tubthumping is back in print. A second edition has been prepared, with new illustrations by Kelly Lyles (who also illustrated my more recent work Tribute, and a one or two other books you might know).

The price is $15.00. H&R will have copies very soon or you can order direct from me via PayPal at the email address listed on the website here: http://home.comcast.net/~wsduncaniv/ You will also find reviews and product information for both books.

For the next week PayPal orders get free shipping on Tubthumping. I'm trying out this PayPal thing to see if it's worth bothering with...

If you already have Tubthumping or Tribute, I invite you to visit the website anyway and check out the two sample effects that are posted there under the heading "Sessions". Neither appears in print elsewhere.

I'll be posting other effects and ideas there, as time permits. Coming soon is a four ace production which is done entirely in the hands (no table or spectator's hand needed) and the aces apparently come from four different places in the pack, leaving you in a display pose which is an homage to the famous image of Dai Vernon regarding the ace of clubs.

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » August 25th, 2005, 9:13 am

For those who've asked:
Yes you can get free shipping on orders for Tribute alone, as well as for both Tribute and Tubthumping bundled in one package.

JustCards

Postby JustCards » November 6th, 2013, 9:29 pm

For anyone who may have missed out on this great book by Bill Duncan, there's one on eBay right now:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tubthumping-by- ... 3f2ba64587

Thanks!

JustCards

Postby JustCards » November 9th, 2013, 9:03 am

If you're interested, the Tubthumping listing ends today.

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » November 9th, 2013, 5:24 pm

Wow. I get requests for Tubthumping from time to time, but that is VERY flattering.

I hope whoever wins the auction enjoys the book. If the winner sends me a PM here on Genii I'll email him/her an update to the presentation for Reflex that appears in the book.

Bill

JustCards

Postby JustCards » November 9th, 2013, 10:15 pm

SOLD!

Thanks to everyone who participated.

wildmagic

Postby wildmagic » November 10th, 2013, 1:07 am

Bill I PM you.

Gary

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » November 11th, 2013, 3:50 pm

If you were outbid, don't despair. I have a copy of Tubthumping that you can have for $75 postpaid. You will pay $10 less than what the scoundrel who outbid you paid :D
Contact me if interested.

Return to “Collector's Marketplace”