unusual cups

Your doorway to those rare collectibles that everyone is searching for: books, props, posters, cards, and paper ephemera are all here for you to buy and sell.

Scott Sullivan

Re: unusual cups

Postby Scott Sullivan » August 30th, 2004, 8:12 pm

Pepka,

Hey! How's it been? It's been a long time. Are you going to be at the MAES convention? If so, we'll have to get together then.

I had some trouble with the link you gave. I did find the cups (which look stunning!) Just for anyone else who might have a hard time, I've included a link below:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 6116116493

eBay item: 6116116493

In any case, take care, Pepka!

Warm regards,

Scott Sullivan

Reels in Motion
http://www.reelsinmotion.com/

Bill Palmer

Postby Bill Palmer » August 30th, 2004, 8:40 pm

I'm not sure what kind of magic trick these cups are supposed to be used for. I seriously doubt that they are for the cups and balls, as their decorations would severely impair any nesting.

While they may have been used for a magic trick, I have a feeling that they were actually originally for serving some kind of drinks.
Bill Palmer, MIMC

Scott Sullivan

Postby Scott Sullivan » August 31st, 2004, 5:05 am

Bill,

You are correct, they look like they were designed for drinking. I think you'll agree, though, that that's the beauty of them, that they weren't designed for magic, BUT drinking. They just have a great look.

Tommy Wonder has two small cups and a larger cup. His large cup didn't nest with the other two. Not all cups routine need nesting. In fact, I think the pure beauty of the cups should allow any magician to innovate a little and come up with a routine unlike any other!

I think Pepka just found an interesting set up cups and wanted to share them with the rest of us. Great job!

Cheers!

Scott

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » August 31st, 2004, 5:47 am

Originally posted by Bill Palmer:
I'm not sure what kind of magic trick these cups are supposed to be used for. I seriously doubt that they are for the cups and balls, as their decorations would severely impair any nesting.

While they may have been used for a magic trick, I have a feeling that they were actually originally for serving some kind of drinks.
The silver cups and tray suggests some nice ideas. They are not so standard as they are organic. Perhaps worth the effort to get cleaned up and plated again.

With some machining, the cups could be cut down and reshaped just slightly to permit some of the standard cup moves. Such might be worth the effort. Just cut down a couple of inches they would look larger in proportion to any spherical loads.

A bit more work and you could solidify the rims. Of course that would make the cups unwieldy to drink from and probably destroy their aesthetic integrity. John V. Hope had some brass candle holders of similar shape, and generously cut them down for me to make a set of metal cups. The Japanese set offered is the kind of thing John liked, and were he still around, I'd buy them for him.

Our quirky O/C issues make it seem about right that so many magicians are concerned with seeking a grail from which they can not drink.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Pepka

Postby Pepka » August 31st, 2004, 1:56 pm

Hey Scott,
I probably won't get to MAES. No one really excites me much. I may be there on Saturday, but I can't guarantee. Just back from MAGIC live in Vegas. Remember I was trying to get you to go? It was incredible. If you don't see me at MAES, drop me a line or call.
Pepka

Return to “Collector's Marketplace”