Does anyone care about an Andrus book after 3 videotapes?

An archive of important topics previously discussed.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Does anyone care about an Andrus book after 3 videotapes?

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 22nd, 2001, 5:43 pm

The general consensus seems to be that the marketing of videotapes which contain the same material as a book either before, or at the same time, that the book is published really weakens the market for a book. You really need to sell 1500 to 2000 copies of a book to make the huge production worthwhile. With the recent release of 3 videotapes full of material by Jerry Andrus, and the reissue of his older books and lectures by Chazpro, do you think enough people will buy a big Jerry Andrus book (like my Dingle or Hamman books) to make it all worthwhile? :confused:
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Joe M. Turner
Favorite Magician: Fred Kaps

Re: Does anyone care about an Andrus book after 3 videotapes?

Postby Joe M. Turner » July 22nd, 2001, 9:43 pm

As much as I admire Jerry Andrus and the quality of the recent videos, my gut reaction is that a book wouldn't sell. It's really a shame, too, because I think Andrus deserves a big book.

I'd probably buy one, but I have the feeling that I'm in the minority on the book/video issue.

JMT

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » July 23rd, 2001, 1:48 am

Richard,

To be brutally honest: while my respect and admiration for Jerry Andrus is boundless, I believe that I would think twice before purchasing. While I agree that a "big" book of his material is deserved, the fact that I own most of his original books and manuscripts would make me think that there may be something else on which I could spend my "magic buck." It's for this reason that I haven't (yet) purchased the new Eugene Burger book, the Michael Ammar compilation or the Paul Harris A of A books. I'm aware that there is some new material in these tomes. However, as I own all of the original books, I'm forced to weigh between a book made up primarily of something I already own, or something different that may catch my eye. Such is the dilemma of the onslaught of magical material these days. Now, if I had an unlimited supply of money...

Regards,
Dustin

Postby Guest » July 23rd, 2001, 4:15 am

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a ton of material Andrus never released.At least a mid-size book?! I would also be interested in what Andrus himself says about the idea of a compilation book.

~Josh~

Postby Guest » July 23rd, 2001, 1:02 pm

Since I don't have but a few things by Jerry Andrus (and I am a fan of books), I would probably purchase one.

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » July 23rd, 2001, 1:55 pm

The book I'm waiting for is the "big" Harvey Rosenthal opus. This man's card and coin work is phenominal -- you can get a taste of it in the Pallbearers Review, Epilogue and Packet Switches 3, but that's from 25 years ago. He's just gotten better and better.

Matt Field

Jon Racherbaumer

Postby Jon Racherbaumer » July 23rd, 2001, 2:10 pm

The Andrus Book would have to entail everything that it NOT shown or suggested by the existing videos and other available books. My approach would be to reveal the man-behind-the-curtain-of-creativity; to show other aspects of his eccentricity and originality--his house (Castle of Chaos), his brother, his poetry, his other interests...including the making of optical illusions. Furthermore, the book would have to be interesting and entertaining to non-magicians. This is a tall order and my neck hurts peering upward...

Otherwise, the project is now in Developement Limbo...and as originally conceived, not a marketable project at this time...

Pity.

Postby Guest » July 25th, 2001, 12:59 am

Originally posted by Richard Kaufman:
You really need to sell 1500 to 2000 copies of a book to make the huge production worthwhile... ...do you think enough people will buy a big Jerry Andrus book (like my Dingle or Hamman books) to make it all worthwhile? :confused:

Maybe it would be possible to sell a limited edition for a few more bucks, say two or three times the price of a regular book. This way you wouldn't have to sell more then 500-667 books worldwide.

I would buy one.
:)

Postby Guest » July 25th, 2001, 3:43 pm

Hmmmm...let me see... since I haven't bought the Andrus tapes (yet), I'd have a choice between $90 for a select portion of Jerry's material and thoughts on video versus $45 for a nice big hardcover book with probably 4 times the material and I can read it anywhere at my leisure.

I think you can probably guess where I stand on the books versus video thread. :cool:

HighQ

Postby HighQ » July 29th, 2001, 5:23 pm

Books are forever. Don't let this man's genius be limited to a few videos. That would be a disservice to the magic community.

Joe Mckay
Favorite Magician: Lubor Fiedler

Postby Joe Mckay » July 30th, 2001, 6:58 pm

You can put me down for a copy...And I think Jon is right when he talks of a book on Andrus' background etc...that would be fascinating!...Also, I am sure he has literally thousands more ideas, that haven't being released yet

[ July 30, 2001: Message edited by: Joe Mckay ]

Steve Hook

Postby Steve Hook » August 11th, 2001, 11:11 pm

Jon:

Please put me on the pre-order list for the Jerry Andrus book. And, yes, I'd pay a premium for a good book on the life and inventions of one of the most interesting and original minds in magic.

The fascination/readability quotient would have to be on par with the Eddie Fields biography, with the added benefit of an even higher magic content.
:)

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » August 29th, 2001, 1:30 pm

I would definitely buy the definitive book on Jerry Andrus's magic. And I would guess that there are more than enough people who love and respect this great man enough to do the same.

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » August 29th, 2001, 1:54 pm

Originally posted by Richard Kaufman:
The general consensus seems to be that the marketing of videotapes which contain the same material as a book either before, or at the same time, that the book is published really weakens the market for a book.
[snip]
... do you think enough people will buy a big Jerry Andrus book... to make it all worthwhile?

Richard,
As much as I love the Dingle book I have to say that if ther material was on (quality) video and I already had it I'd have to pass on the book.
HOWEVER... if the book were more like the Vernon Chronicles, or Kort I'd purchase it anyway to read rather that to study. Jerry is one of the great mysteries of magic and a book about him would be interesting without a single trick in it.

I have no real interest in performing most of Jerry's magic (ok, I'd do acupressure) simply because it isn't suited to my personality or the way I handle things.

A book with chapters about his optical illusions and unique stuff like "the endless octave" would be thrilling. Throw in a few new unpublished effects and the Kaufman touch on some accessible, classic Andrus and I think I have to buy.

Chris Gillett

Postby Chris Gillett » August 29th, 2001, 2:29 pm

Richard, although I have nothing of interest to add to this topic, count me as interested in an Andrus book.

Gordolini

Postby Gordolini » August 29th, 2001, 3:05 pm

I would have to agree with Jon and others about a kind of "biography" about Jerry Andrus. It would let us all peer into the mind of this great man. In his videos you get the odd snippet about how he comes up with his ideas and inventions, but a more detailed account would be fascinating.

Postby Guest » August 29th, 2001, 4:19 pm

I'd buy one. I'd be more interested in the kind of book proposed that was about Andrus than "just" a write-up of the effects in the videos...but I'd buy either in a shot.

David Acer

Postby David Acer » August 29th, 2001, 6:22 pm

I agree with Jon that Jerry Andrus deserves a book that encompasses more than just his magic. It strikes me that this project may be more Steinmeyer than Kaufman. End transmission.
Now tweeting daily from @David_Acer

Rafael Benatar

Postby Rafael Benatar » September 1st, 2001, 4:55 am

I'll buy a good Andrus book anytime no matter what. I agree with what Jon says.

Return to “The Archives”