Cedric of London

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.
George Olson

Cedric of London

Postby George Olson » April 12th, 2006, 1:06 pm

Does anyone remember this chap. I met him and a contingent of British magicians at an Abbott's get together in the 50's. Edgar Bergan, Gerri Larsen, Ormand Magill plus the whole Chicago crew were there.

The thing I remember most is Cedric's "calling" card. It was a small teabag and the "Label" that had the statement; "Have a spot of Tea with..."

It was a really memorable time of my young life. That's the same get together I got the "Welcome Magicians" window card with tons of autographs. Of course in my infinite wisdom I gave it to a young man at a PCAM (or IBM/SAM) convention at the Grant Hotel(along with all my magic)in San Diego in the very early 60's.I;ve been seeking it ever since!

Just the reminices of a dottering old man of the Glory Years!

GO

Re: Cedric of London

Postby Guest » April 15th, 2006, 7:59 am

Missed this post when it first came on. I well remember Cedric Richardson, who lived in the Detroit area when he was here. He returned to London, and I lost track of him. Some 20 years or so ago, at the old Magic Circle HQ in Chenies Mews, Jay Marshall approached me, with a gentleman in tow. "Here's a face you'll remember." he said, and by golly it was Cedric. He, of course, didn't use his 'British persona' in Britain, and had for years specialized in kids shows. He had a lot of nifty ad itemswhen he was over here, he was very creative in that area; the tea-bag business card that you mention, and a clever booking brochure that replicated TIME magazine, with Cedric's photo on the cover, but instead of TIME, it said, T-TIME. I ran into him a few times afterwards; still the same friendly chap he was when he lived here. Thanks for reminding me of him.

Postby Guest » April 21st, 2006, 12:53 pm

There are a number of excellent Cedric Richardson children's routines in Eric Sharpe's wonderful Routine book ' Children's Routines with Funny Patter & Situatiion Comedy For Children' Whew! There are 62 routines with comedy business in the book and one section contains 8 of his routines.
Also Ian Adair has brought out a set of individual routines by Cedric one of which is the complete story of Jack & The Beanstalk all done with just the paper tree & Cedric's great script.
Allen Tipton UK

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » February 1st, 2016, 11:33 am

I was lucky enough to know Cedric and when he retired, I bought his vent doll, an Insull cheeky boy figure.

Sometime around 1979 a New York magician and stamp dealer Jack McBride visited Ireland and showed the local magicians a few tricks, one of which was The Rope With Four Ends.

Not knowing it was a dealer item I made up three and gave one to Cedric and the other to Eric Sharp at a British Ring Convention.

The following year, Cedric showed me the routine he had developed, a delightful one about a schoolboy who kept getting his sums wrong.

More recently Ian Adair, a longtime friend and confidant of Cedric's has published a book of his routines.

Details at http://www.practical-magic.com/online-s ... air-detail

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”