Vic Perry Pickpocket

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.

Vic Perry Pickpocket

Postby Guest » October 30th, 2003, 3:50 pm

Anyone know of any recordings or news articles of the magician / pickpocket Vic Perry?

John Smetana

Re: Vic Perry Pickpocket

Postby John Smetana » October 30th, 2003, 7:04 pm

Originally posted by Lightfoot:
Anyone know of any recordings or news articles of the magician / pickpocket Vic Perry?
I'll write up some stuff for you tomorrow or perhaps the day after. I can tell you that Perry was a bigger than life character and performed magic, mentalism and hypnosis as well as pickpocketing.

Best thoughts,
John Smetana

Postby Guest » October 31st, 2003, 11:52 am

Thanks! Ive heard many interesting things about Perry but have not been able to locate any news paper or film of his work.

Postby Guest » October 31st, 2003, 2:00 pm

I actually saw him work once.
One of the better pickpockets.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » October 31st, 2003, 3:54 pm

Vic Perry was a REALLY REALLY STRONG PERFORMER. Only saw him a few times, but was really impressed. :genii:
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » October 31st, 2003, 9:23 pm

It wasn't uncommon to see him on TV talk shows in the 60's and 70's, like The Mike Douglas show, and others....don't know if he did Sullivan.

John Smetana

Postby John Smetana » November 1st, 2003, 6:10 pm

Here's some information about Vic Perry that may be helpful in your research. Please understand that I have borrowed freely from other publications and I have no first hand knowledge about Mr. Perry.
Today, I spoke to Charles Reynolds, who had a passing acquaintance with him, and he recalled that Perry was a very strong performer who worked the Playboy Club circuit as well as other venues, here in the states. He also appeared on the Johnny Carson, Mike Douglas, David Frost, Dick Cavett and Merv Griffin television shows. He was invited to Windsor Castle, four times, to perform for Britain's Royal Family and twice to the White House for Presidents of the United States.

Vic Perry was born in Woking, England, into a showbusiness family. His grandfather was a showman and was known as "Lewis, The Laureate of Logic." Charles Reynolds recalled that Perry's father performed a crystal gazing act in Britain's music halls under the name of Nixon.

Perry, for most of his working career was billed as "The World's Greatest Pickpocket" and his act was one of the best. Perry was also a mentalist. He was first and foremost a showman and has been described as an entertainer who commanded attention with a gesture and turned the simplest of tricks into a miracle. Perry looked every inch a mystic. In dress, actions, and speech, he was always in character..he played his role to the hilt.

He also claimed to be:
A Doctor of Hypnosis..Ex-International Playboy..Ex Strolling Caricaturist of Paris and The Middle east...A spy for British Intelligence in German occupied France during World War II.
He said he had surpassed the degrees of Chef, Master Chef, and Chef de Cuisine International, to attain the pinnacle of cooking degrees. That of becoming one of the 100 "Chevaliers" of French Cooking in the world.
But wait, there's more..Perry professed to be:
Winner of the Allied Florist associations award as "Top Designer and Arranger Professionally in the US"..Ex Heavyweight Professional Wresting Champion of Europe...Ex White Witch Doctor and Obia-Man in Jamaica and an Ordained Minister and Doctor of Divinity and Theology.
He also claimed to be the first white man to traverse the Colorado River lashed to a wooden raft as the Indians did.
He said he was an ex alcoholic who twice attempted suicide.

What is fact, and what is fiction? Perry treated life as an experience lived but once. he lived it fully. In doing so, who's to say where he boldly added color to reality?

Someone once described Vic Perry as a man riding pell- mell through life on the back of his own personal demon. And, he went on to note, at times it was difficult to determine who actually was riding whom, Perry or the demon.

Vic Perry died on August 14th, 1974 at the age of 54.

Bascom Jones, publisher of MAGICK, was a friend of Perry's and most of the information about this wonderful character came from those pages.
Bascom wrote "It is how a man lives that matters. Perry lived life to the fullest, with his own brand of vigor, and with flair. He savored and tasted carefully the wine of each day, and each new experience. And he gave back to life, each day, far more than he took. That, alone, is epitaph enough for any man."

Postby Guest » November 2nd, 2003, 2:41 am

Viva Internet: look what I found:

1949:
Vic Perry-pickpocket-performed at the Esquire Club and walked along the top edge of a downtown building blindfolded for publicity.
http://www.geocities.com/ring47wow/2history3.htm

-----------------------------
ED SULLIVAN SHOW:

1068. scheduled: Melanie; David Frye; Sandler & Young (final new episode)
gs: Melanie (scheduled guest) David Frye (scheduled guest) Tony Sandler (scheduled guest) Ralph Young (scheduled guest) Norman Wisdom (scheduled guest) Tony Fane (scheduled guest)

Scheduled guests:
--Melanie - "Look What They've Done to My Song, Ma," "Ruby Tuesday" and "Alexander Beetle"
--Joanna Simon (mezzo-soprano) - "My Heart at Thy Sweet Voice"
--David Frye (impressionist)
--Danny Davis & the Nashville Brass
--Tony Sandler & Ralph Young (singers)
--Norman Wisdom (comedian)

--Vic Perry (sleight-of-hand artist)

--Tony Fane (comedian)
--Lennie Schultz (comedian)

b: 28-Mar-1971
-----------------------------------------------
Kraft Music Hall:

Ed McMahon / Paul Anka / Dick Cavett
gs: Ed McMahon (Guest Host) Paul Anka (Guest)

--Ed McMahon
--Paul Anka
--Dick Cavett
--Pete Fountain
--Dana Valery
--Vic Perry (pickpocket)

b: 17-Jul-1968

Mats G. Kjellstrom
www.mastermagic.info

Postby Guest » November 2nd, 2003, 1:18 pm

Thanks for all the great info on Vic Perry! I first became aware of this amazing performer thru Magick. I hope to track down some of the above TV show if still avalible.

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » November 5th, 2003, 11:40 pm

I worked with Vic on cruise ships. He had more balls than a regiment of Marines and more BS than the Republican National Committee.

When he got on a roll, the BS just flowed. On one cruise he claimed to have been a British spy during WW II, secretely removing important papers from the pockets of Nazi officers. He also had a fantastic story of infiltrating Hitler's Bavarian mountain retreat as an SS Major. There was more, all equally fantastic, all of which he claimes to have written in a published book: Pickpocket Spy. I do not know of anyone who has ever seen a copy.

He did an excellent pickpocket routine, actually handling people's money, which I always thought was foolish. He was an adept mentalist, doing one of the best blindfold routines I've ever seen. His technique was top notch and his presentation very strong. I don't think he lived to be 50. Bascom told me he was sending in material to MAGICK in a furious manner, perhaps aware of his own mortality.

John Smetana

Postby John Smetana » November 6th, 2003, 11:17 am

David, Perry died at age 54. Bascom relayed the info in MAGICK.
Good to see you on these pages David.We met a long while ago at one of Brian Flora's Marketing Conferences. Saw you do the Frakson act which was a highlight.

Best thoughts,
John Smetana

Postby Guest » November 6th, 2003, 12:34 pm

Thanks again for the up date. It appears that vic perry was on the Mike Douglas talk show twice and copies of each show can be had through dfields@kingworld.com . Copies cost $400 each.

Postby Guest » November 6th, 2003, 3:12 pm

Searched for the book "Pickpocket Spy" but no title seems to exist. Perhaps it was one of Perry infamous lies.

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » November 13th, 2003, 3:36 pm

John, thanks for the kind words re: my old act and the correction to Vic Perry's age at death. He was quite a character. Re: Perry's "book," I do not know of a single individual who has a copy and any number of people have tried to find it. I don't think it ever existed outside of Vic's imagination.

Anthony Brahams

Postby Anthony Brahams » November 20th, 2003, 2:59 pm

Just to confirm that Vic Perry did a great act. I saw him in Cabaret at the Savoy Hotel, London and I think he may have appeared at a Unique Magic Day.
Anthony

Mark Collier

Postby Mark Collier » December 25th, 2018, 10:25 pm

performer

Postby performer » December 28th, 2018, 5:24 pm

Vic Perry was what grafters call a "fanny merchant". Nothing to do with anatomy. I shall translate later for the less worldly wise among you.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » October 1st, 2023, 6:04 pm

Tarotist
Favorite Magician: David Nixon

Postby Tarotist » October 1st, 2023, 8:43 pm

I have seen Vic Perry perform on television. I remember it was in the days of black and white TV. He was very good indeed.

Leo Garet
Favorite Magician: Nobody In Particular

Postby Leo Garet » October 3rd, 2023, 12:36 pm

I recall seeing him on TV several times in the late 50s. I'm inclined to say at least one of the shows was "Sunday Night At The London Palladium". But whatever it was, it was on a theatre stage. I thought he was terrific.

I couldn't find any Palladium bits, but during my search I stumbled over a few references to some films he appeared in as actor. This was news to me.

There are more than several references to his films, but here's just one.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0675344/bio/

Jack Shalom

Postby Jack Shalom » October 3rd, 2023, 1:28 pm

A definite David Hoy vibe from him.

Tarotist
Favorite Magician: David Nixon

Postby Tarotist » October 3rd, 2023, 3:02 pm

He was a really good showman. I appreciate people like that.

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”