The Lecture on July 5,1975

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.
Andrew Martin Portala

The Lecture on July 5,1975

Postby Andrew Martin Portala » July 2nd, 2007, 7:37 am

Just got The Don Alan book about a week ago.
I was wondering about his lecture.
Who was John Snyder and did he have a magic shop?
Who's Johnny Brown ?
Don wasn't to happy about him and other things going on in the world of magic. It seams things haven't change that much.
But Don did say some nice things about Pete Biro.
Did Don ever perform the new close-up act that he talked about?
I think Don Alan and Del Ray were one of the best close-up performers .
I did learned a lot from the book
Thanks

Re: The Lecture on July 5,1975

Postby Guest » July 2nd, 2007, 12:48 pm

John Snyder worked for The Olde Magic Boutique in St. Louis. This belonged to the wife of Mike Brazill.

Johnny Brown was a magician who lived in Dallas. He later moved to Abilene.

There is quite a bit of information in that book that is not true at all, especially the part concerning "Clyde."

Re: The Lecture on July 5,1975

Postby Guest » July 2nd, 2007, 1:20 pm

Mr. Palmer is correct. John Snyder worked at the Olde Magic Boutique in the St. Louis area. It was actually in north county in the Ferguson/Florissant area. John sold a lot of the Rings 'n Things product. That is where I bought most of what I currently own. The rest was purchased from Gene DeVoe's Magic Den. I really miss Gene! What a class act!

Anyway, Mr. Snyder published a manuscript which I still own called the "Pockety Chop" manual. It is a good booklet, 8-1/2" x 11" stapled and contains lots of good ideas. One idea which I believe John claimed as original was a final load of approx. 25 half dollars. What was nice was the gimmick, which was easily made up. The whole routine was based on the RnT pocket-sized Don Alan Chopcup.

In the manuscript, John quotes Don Alan as being very favorable to the material, especially the final load.

Not having read the Don Alan book, is there a suggestion of animosity between the two?

I know that some in the St. Louis magic community had negative things to say about Mr. Snyder, but I never had any issues with him. When I was developing a manipulation routine, he was helpful in locating a nice Palmo ball for my silk routine and a nice large dye tube for Blendo. He also offered some tips that were helpful.

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”