Aree McChesnay

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.
George Olson

Aree McChesnay

Postby George Olson » July 11th, 2006, 1:25 pm

Here are two pages of really interesting stuff on e-Bay posted by somebody that doesn't know what they've got:

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZsyesQQhtZ-1

GO

Re: Aree McChesnay

Postby Guest » July 11th, 2006, 2:48 pm

I saw Aree's act when I was a kid. She did a nice job and was quite charming.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » July 11th, 2006, 3:44 pm

Holey Cow what a great collection of paper photos and stuff... based on the descirptions the seller is NOT a magician
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » July 11th, 2006, 6:52 pm

Beyond the obvious reply of "holy mother ... I'm trying to win some of this stuff at a low price and now EVERYONE will want to bid," I should mention that a lot that sold yesterday had a bid of $19.95 and in the last minute and a half went up to $167.00.
Maybe these guy's know what they're doing after all. (Now everyone forget they read this thread. You are getting sleeeeepy, sleeeeeeeepyh ...)

Gord

George Olson

Postby George Olson » July 11th, 2006, 9:37 pm

oops! :rolleyes:

Sorry, Gord...

There are a couple of things I'm interested in also. You all are getting sleepier every minute....

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » July 12th, 2006, 9:28 am

It goes two ways... I had something at a price I wanted and nobody... NO BUUDDDDDDDDDEEEEEEEEE... was bidding (a camera) and in the last 45 seconds two guys went nutz and I got FIVE TIMES MY HOPED FOR PRICE.
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » July 12th, 2006, 11:27 am

THEY HAVE BEEN SELLING HER STUFF FOR A MONTH AND
WITH VERY LITTLE NOTICE. VERY COOL THINGS, BUT ALOT OF IT BROKEN DOWN. ANYBODY GOT ANY IDEALS ON THE RED SAW IN HAFE TRICK??? I CANT SEEM TO PLACE IT, OR HOW IT WOULD COME TOGETHER?

Postby Guest » July 12th, 2006, 1:10 pm

I do not think it is a sawing effect. The flat panel looks like a "polka dot/striped paint" board. The assorted wood looks like parts to something like a Hong Kong dove production frame (incomplete).

The sale of her items clearly demonstrates why the performer should make good arrangements for magic items before passing. Bits and pieces are being mixed etc. It s truely sad.
Jim

Postby Guest » July 12th, 2006, 1:53 pm

Right, Jim...

There is a set of Thayer's "Clingo" balls, the Production Finale, with a "Clingo Diminishing Ball" set, alongside a plastic Adams Money Maker! What to do...

Best, PSC

Postby Guest » July 12th, 2006, 2:47 pm

This seller it so typical of antique dealers who happen on to such an estate. He obviously is too cheap to hire a consultant to correctly group items for completeness, proper identification, and better selling price.

Check out this link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vint-50s-Magic-Magi ... dZViewItem

That base he has everything sitting on is half of a rising cards effect. Who knows when the red box will appear for sale - and with what.

I'd rather give my magic items away or throw them in the trash that have such an ignorant seller ruin them (and make some sort of profit in the process). Aree would really be sick at all of this.
Jim

Grant McSorley

Postby Grant McSorley » July 12th, 2006, 3:14 pm

Has anyone tried contacting the seller about this?

Postby Guest » July 12th, 2006, 4:41 pm

Knew a guy when I was a kid. Handsome man, amateur magician, and he loved his hobby. His wife was useless. She was always "feeling poorly." Her career was being ill.

She had endless surgeries to remove something or put something in. He had to work two jobs to pay the insurance premiums and the bills...and he did everything else, too.

I asked him one day what she did.

Did she clean? No.

Did she cook? No.

Did she wash? No.

Did she do ANYTHING around the house? No.

While she didn't contribute to the house she did have the strength to be demanding and shrill. Amazing, where the energy to do that can always be tapped, when the energy to do anything else seems always missing.

Anyway, she was always this great lump the few times I visited his house. She was unpleasant to be around for more than five minutes.

Buying and playing with magic was his only pleasure and he never told her what he paid for things, always telling her that it was "something he'd had for years," lest she take that small pleasure away from him.

Of course, she outlived him and years later, after leaving his stuff out in the elements, she sold it off...mostly piles of rusted junk and sodden paper.

As it was, a local antique dealer who knew nothing about magic, paid her a pittance for the few items that were still of value, selling them at a flea market over the ensuing months to the occasional magician who stumbled on his stand.

I heard about it too late to participate as I so wanted to look her in the eye and tell her that had she taken proper care of her husband's toys she could have pulled in $20,000...maybe more. I would have loved to see the look on her face when she learned that.

Postby Guest » July 12th, 2006, 5:30 pm

It'll be interesting to see what that Chicago Magic Robert Houdin Coin Box goes for in the above mentioned lot. Hey, It aint a Willmann but it sure is a rarity. It's already "a bit o' the green" but well worth the braggin reghts!

Postby Guest » July 12th, 2006, 7:56 pm

The women who are selling this stuff know NOTHING about what it is. I pointed out a few errors in one of their listings, and their reply was "well, we aren't experts about magic."

What CRAP!

George Olson

Postby George Olson » July 14th, 2006, 3:33 pm

I guess she shut down the auctions -- I did a search on Aree McChesnay to no avail... :confused:

GO

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » July 14th, 2006, 4:33 pm

Originally posted by George Olson:
I guess she shut down the auctions -- I did a search on Aree McChesnay to no avail... :confused:

GO
They're still there -- the link you posted initially is still good. You may have been having problems due to spelling: the auctions spell it "Arie McChesney".

-Jim

Frank Dudgeon
Favorite Magician: Ricky Jay

Postby Frank Dudgeon » July 14th, 2006, 4:39 pm

Some of the listings seem to spell it both ways. If you do an Advanced Search for "Arie McChesney," checking the box for titles and descriptions, they all pop up.

George Olson

Postby George Olson » July 14th, 2006, 10:05 pm

Thanks guys!

I think I had a brain cramp!

GO

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”