Is That Guy Still In The Plastic Box?

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Kevin Connolly

Is That Guy Still In The Plastic Box?

Postby Kevin Connolly » October 16th, 2003, 10:12 am

Seem to remember hearing about this guy a couple of weeks ago. He seems to have fallen off the radar screen. :o
Please visit my website.
http://houdinihimself.com/
I buy,sell + trade Houdini, Hardeen items.

Jonathan Townsend

Re: Is That Guy Still In The Plastic Box?

Postby Jonathan Townsend » October 16th, 2003, 3:46 pm

Originally posted by Kevin Connolly:
Seem to remember hearing about this guy a couple of weeks ago. He seems to have fallen off the radar screen. :o
lots of guys are in plastic boxes these days

Ken awaits all
as do Kiss
and several comic book characters.

would anyone want a David Blaine action figure?
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Steve V

Postby Steve V » October 16th, 2003, 4:22 pm

No one answered this before, so I shall ask again. Why is Blaine in the box? Is he promoting something?
Steve V
Steve V

Postby Guest » October 16th, 2003, 4:51 pm

Kevin,
Pay your radar bill, Blaine has continued to get relentless media coverage in England, including CNN and elsewhere, certainly the magic media, that has driven the subject to theological considerations and beyond. Certainly the story of Roy Horn's injuries and condition have (correctly) dominated much of the news, that is covered, but Blaine is still very in focus and will (my observation, if not prediction) be more so, as the time for him to emerge approaches.
No one understands TV better than David Blaine.

Glenn Farrington

Postby Glenn Farrington » October 16th, 2003, 4:54 pm

No one understands TV better than David Blaine.
I bet his producer does.
Comedy's Easy...Dying Sucks.

Postby Guest » October 16th, 2003, 5:03 pm

Very possibly true...individually or collectively, they know and do .

Just thinking of the Jim Carrey movie, "The Truman Show". Does anyone view similarities or differences?

Robert Allen

Postby Robert Allen » October 16th, 2003, 5:18 pm

Yet another good reason not to watch TV...

Wolfgang

Postby Wolfgang » October 16th, 2003, 5:40 pm

When the stuff that David Blaine does lately gets that much attention than it shows were the world society is headed.
I for one could not care less.........

Postby Guest » October 16th, 2003, 6:07 pm

Honeymooners episode- "Chef of the future":

Ed Norton, " Proof, of a better life, thru Television! "

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » October 17th, 2003, 4:54 am

Diego,

You may have a more focused radar than the rest of us, but Blaine is not getting the coverage over here. He was missing on these boards for almost a week and barely mentioned on here in two weeks during the last two weeks.

If the coverage by CNN is the best he can do, that should be enough to fall off the radar screen. CNN usually battles MSNBC for last place. They don't have the audience or the credibility they used to have.

On more thing, if some news story comes up this weekend, he shoots himself in his other foot. ;)

PS In the NYC area he is off the radar screen. Shame, because we should be able to spot him first because we're closer to him than you. :D
Please visit my website.

http://houdinihimself.com/

I buy,sell + trade Houdini, Hardeen items.

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » October 17th, 2003, 1:14 pm

From today's newspapers:

Blaine apparently suffering with two days to go
Last updated: 17-10-03, 13:20

American illusionist David Blaine is reportedly battling with palpitations and breathing difficulties today as he enters the final stretch of his starvation stunt.

For the last 42 days the American magician has been suspended in a glass box next to London's Tower Bridge with water apparently his only sustenance.

Some 250,000 people are estimated to have visited the site, with many attracting publicity for abusing and hurling objects at the American performer.

Today - with little more than 48 hours to go - Blaine's spokesman described the 30-year-old as "not in the best of health".

"David changes every couple of hours but he is suffering from breathing difficulties and severe palpitations," he said. He also gets blurry vision. His goal is to aim for Sunday - that is only two-and-a-half days.

The illusionist appears to have remained in his glass domain ever since a more portly version of himself entered the box on September 5th.

Now boasting a straggly beard and wild hair, Blaine has spent 42 days writing his diary, sleeping and waving to the almost-constant crowds below.

The self-styled Houdini is expected to be released from his glass cell at 9.30pm on Sunday before a crowd of thousands.

It is thought the magician could take as long as six months to recover his muscle strength and be fully restored to fitness.

Postby Guest » October 17th, 2003, 4:13 pm

Originally posted by Jonathan Townsend:
would anyone want a David Blaine action figure?
You mean, "inaction figure". Inert in a box, inert on a pole, inert in a block of ice, etc.

Inert, dare I say it, in performance of actual magic tricks. Maybe slightly less inert, but not much. What, exactly, is all of this waste of ink and electrons about?

What's the effect? In any sense? Anyone here remember Andy Warhol's "Sleep"? Seven or nine hour (who remembers?) film of someone sleeping. Interesting idea, if you're seventeen, stoned out of your mind, and it's around 1964, but absolutely unwatchable, and from a cinematic point of view, utter garbage. Conceptually interesting garbage, but nonetheless.

As little regard as I have for Houdini as a magician, at least he did something when he was in a box suspended over a river.

Best,

Geoff

Postby Guest » October 17th, 2003, 4:34 pm

By virtue of being toys, "action figure" dolls, are inaction figures.
But a Blaine figure in a plastic box isn't far from his Tony Curtis-Houdini counterpart, who was given a plastic box with a magician figure in it, to emulate.
Like a generation before, of teeny-boppers, who wanted David Cassidy for themselves, could the present generation of the same, want to have this David, in a box, just for themselves?

mike cookman

Postby mike cookman » October 18th, 2003, 8:15 am

Like Geoff said, at least Houdini did something when he was in a box suspended over a river. Did Blaine even take a magic book and a deck of cards with him to practice, since he had nothing but time? :rolleyes:

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » October 18th, 2003, 12:26 pm

he latest from Reuters:

LONDON (Reuters) - U.S. showman David Blaine is to swap his plastic box by the River Thames for a hospital ward when his 44-day starvation stunt ends on Sunday.

Filthy, unshaven and complaining of black-outs, Blaine will be taken to hospital by ambulance to begin what he describes as the most dangerous stage of his feat.

"The hardest part is when you come out and you are brought back to nourishment," he told Reuters Television in a recent interview.

The illusionist will build his strength slowly with mineral supplements before tackling solid food, a spokesman said.

Blaine has been suspended in a see-through box beneath a crane next to London`s landmark Tower Bridge since September 5, apparently with no food and only one tube for water and another for urinating.

The 30-year-old New Yorker said it was more dangerous than his previous stunts when he was buried alive in a glass coffin and encased in a giant block of ice.

Organisers said on Friday that Blaine had suffered breathing problems and heart palpitations. He will be slowly lowered on Sunday at 9:30 p.m.

"Doctors will be on hand," said a spokesman for Sky One, the television channel broadcasting the event. "We don`t know if he will be able to walk or whether he`ll be on a stretcher."

Blaine says he feels ill and denies sceptics` suggestions he has secretly taken sugar and nutrients through his water pipe.

"When I stand up everything goes black and sometimes my hearing goes out," he told onlookers through a hatch earlier this week. "When I concentrate on something too much it hurts in my head."

He won`t miss the taunts from passers-by.

Onlookers have pelted his cell with eggs, paint and golf balls and have woken him with drums and foghorns. Others tormented him with the smell of fish-and-chips and hamburgers, while women have bared their breasts.

The guarded zone beneath Blaine has become a colourful tourist attraction some compared to a medieval sideshow.

Firebreathers, jugglers and scores of onlookers mill around next to banners bearing slogans such as "Keep the Faith", "Camp David Headquarters" and "Keep Smiling".

Former Beatle Sir Paul McCartney was among thousands of people who have visited Blaine during the six-week stunt which has sharply divided British public opinion.

A commentator in The Times branded Blaine a "martyr without a cause" engaged in a "pointless ordeal", while others on fan websites called him the ultimate showman.

Media commentators are still struggling to unravel the point of the stunt.

"Blaine`s sideshow is neither magic nor illusion, religion nor circus, theatre nor ritual sacrifice, nor an extreme exercise in egotism -- but it partakes of all these things," wrote former Beirut hostage Brian Keenan in the Guardian.

Robert Allen

Postby Robert Allen » October 18th, 2003, 4:20 pm

Onlookers have pelted his cell with eggs, paint and golf balls and have woken him with drums and foghorns. Others tormented him with the smell of fish-and-chips and hamburgers, while women have bared their breasts.
Maybe it's just me, but couldn't they have written the article such that food and womens breasts weren't so closely juxtaposed? Or is it the case that the bareing was done *while* the food taunting was being done?

Steve V

Postby Steve V » October 18th, 2003, 6:33 pm

All I know is more people remember Howdy Doody that remember Buffalo Bob Smith....
Steve V
Steve V

opie

Postby opie » October 18th, 2003, 7:18 pm

Yeah, Steve, and he is not ashamed to give out his whole name.... :p
opie houston

Steve V

Postby Steve V » October 18th, 2003, 7:43 pm

Okay, I'll bite, what does that mean Opie?
Steve V
Steve V

Postby Guest » October 18th, 2003, 7:46 pm

Quentin Reynolds quotes Reuters on Blaine: ". . .Filthy, unshaven and complaining of black-outs,. . ."

And was that BEFORE he went into the box?

cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com

opie

Postby opie » October 19th, 2003, 12:42 pm

Steve: Just curious to know your name....since when do we need to "mean" anything?.....Have you lost your sense of humor???? :D

opie

Steve V

Postby Steve V » October 19th, 2003, 1:33 pm

Look at my email address (except for one where I use a hotmail addr because I have access from different PC's), I've not kept it a secret from anyone. I use Steve V because when I first came on line the magic board I went to was first names and last initial. My name is Steve Vaughn, I live in San Jose California and if you want my street address and phone number just ask.
Steve V
Steve V

Dick Koornwinder

Postby Dick Koornwinder » October 19th, 2003, 2:10 pm

Blaine is no longer in The Plastic Box. He has ended his act (?) and is brought to the hospital. Blaine suffered competition from Prime Minister Blair who was also in the hospital today. Can you imagine the confusion in the papers? A Blaine and a Blair.
Dick Koornwinder

Steve V

Postby Steve V » October 19th, 2003, 3:05 pm

Yeah!
Steve V
Steve V

opie

Postby opie » October 19th, 2003, 5:27 pm

Thank you Steve....opie

Steve V

Postby Steve V » October 19th, 2003, 8:02 pm

I need help in resolving a conflict over Blaine. I had a lil' pool going as to what he would say upon leaving the box. I didn't win because I picked "I was able to get inside myself and try to see where I stand in this relm". The problem is we had a guy pick "It was very spiritial". I read that Blaine went with "It was inspirational...". Our 'spiritial' guy claims that 'ispirational' is close enough for Blaine Speak, what do you think? Should I give him the winnings?
Steve V
Steve V

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » October 19th, 2003, 11:47 pm

Originally posted by Steve V:
Our 'spiritial' guy claims that 'inspirational' is close enough for Blaine Speak, what do you think? Should I give him the winnings?
I had "I have to pee."

Postby Guest » October 20th, 2003, 12:55 am

I hear a rustling from the bookstores awaiting his dairy being published. Probably released as a 'box set'.

Day 34. I spy with my little eye something beginning with .. ermm .. T.

Tower Bridge?

Doh! Ok, I spy with ...

Return to “Buzz”