Mondo Magic -Episode two

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Steve V

Mondo Magic -Episode two

Postby Steve V » October 11th, 2004, 11:10 pm

I enjoyed this one, fun magic, nice presentations, my wife even enjoyed it and she hasn't enjoyed much since marrying me.
Steve V
Steve V

Andrew Martin Portala

Re: Mondo Magic -Episode two

Postby Andrew Martin Portala » October 12th, 2004, 2:35 am

Fell asleep again :sleep:

Postby Guest » October 12th, 2004, 6:19 am

I am enjoying this series. I particularly liked Korn's coin and key in bottle to bottle vanish.

Great bit of magic at the bar.

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » October 12th, 2004, 6:36 am

I'm still unenthused about this. My gripes:

1. Both guys need to focus more on their live spectators and stop "playing" to the cameras. It's annoying.

2. On the flip side of that, the DO need to realize that certain things which may work in real life don't work on camera. Could the bottle steal have been any more suspicious looking? "I think I'll hide my whole body, along with the bottle, behind this girl here."

3. Again both guys, but more so with J.B. need to learn the power of the pause. What you do will be amplified exponentially if you eliminate all extraneous movements, words, etc. I lost count of how many times J.B. said "ok" during the course of a routine (may have been the Invisible deck routine).

4. Related to the above note: Did Jon Stetson have to pee? The little dance he was doing was distracting.

5. If you're going to force a hymn, yes, it should be well-known, but don't make it as obvious as "Amazing Grace". And make sure what you're doing makes sense. "Come here...over here...do you feel anything here? How about here?" What were they feeling for? And if they never felt anything why did he bring them into that specific section? Why didn't they just start out there in the first place? Why couldn't he just grab the hymnal that was closest to where they were standing? He mentioned afterwards about the look on the woman's face and how that was why he did magic. She looked more confused about the whole process than anything.

6. So far, across the two episodes, the best bit has been Harry Anderson performing Heirloom. While it doesn't surprise me that he was good, I would think that the two guys who are, you know, the stars of the show, would produce more memorable moments.

That's just my opinion so far. I'll likely keep watching the show, though, because I like to keep up on what's current in magic, and also because I really want them to succeed and have a better show.

-Jim

Postby Guest » October 12th, 2004, 7:18 am

Heirloom was awesome. Minutes after watching the trick I purchased it.
As for the hymnal trick it would have been cooler if the guy had known that 343 also stood for the number of firefighters lost on 9/11.
I like the series. Great work.
-T

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » October 12th, 2004, 9:55 am

If the guys could only make those Dog the Bounty Hunter promos disappear ...

MaxNY
Favorite Magician: Jeff McBride

Postby MaxNY » October 12th, 2004, 7:54 pm

Steve, I dub all the "Dog" spots... about 200 a week. I've seen the spots more than 500 times!

Postby Guest » October 13th, 2004, 11:14 am

I felt that this show got better in this episode. There was more personal time dedicated to the boys.

Highlights for me:
The pool table trick. This is why JB is so good. He takes a "normal" trick and gives it a new spin. I only wish the eight ball had actually landed on the card.

The bottle trick: Chris could have played this a little stronger. I didn't think the angles were that bad for the bottle vanish. Adding the key inside the bottle really screws with your mind. This is another example of taking the magic to the next step.

The Window Trick: I think this is a version of a trick by Adam Grace called Stained Glass. Very well done and the spectator was great. Chris really sparkled in this segment, talking about leading the person down the garden path and turning on the sprinklers.

The Church Song: This was an example of how JB is really connected to his magic. Did you notice him keep looking to the sky in concentration. However, the spectator in this segment didn't really look all that "tricked".

The guest magician, John (sp?) was very rushed but he still fooled the poo out of me. Great trick!!

This show keeps getting better and I can't wait to see next week.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » October 13th, 2004, 11:38 am

Jason, Though I didn;t see the show I was told that the pool table trick was Eddie Field's thing. Is that true?

Brad

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » October 13th, 2004, 11:45 am

Yes, using the pool table to select the card for the Invisible Deck is Eddie Fields' idea.

-Jim

Charlie Chang

Postby Charlie Chang » October 13th, 2004, 12:14 pm

As part of the production team, I helped shoot all six episodes (I was much more involved in the last three - long story). The Church trick was the worst cut we took that day - the idea of doing Gymnastic Aces in a Church was much more interesting to the other people we used and the reactions to the song were much warmer. Why did the producers use that cut? Who knows how they think.

Chris and JB work very hard to try and get that killer reaction on every trick then find the producers use one of the lesser takes.

Doing Stained Glass we were spoiled for choice - every cut was that good (though with this group there were more people). It might be fun to go back and read the Stained Glass thread from this time last year where it was derided thanks to a video on the web. Please note that the "Ten Of Hearts" idea was originally done with a slate and appeared in The Jinx magazine.

Keep watching - the shows get better and better - and remember that performing on these shows is only the beginning, many of the strange decisions that end up in the show are completely out of the magicians' hands.

By the way - if anyone here really understands art (Simon Aronson, maybe) - I'd love to hear thier opinion of the work in that guy's basement...

Postby Guest » October 13th, 2004, 12:41 pm

Lemme see, six cities, New Orleans and Boston are out of the way. I'm guessing Seattle, San Francisco, St. Louis, and Chicago for the last four. I do have to agree with the looking at the camera thing being iritating.
Steve V

Bizzaro

Postby Bizzaro » October 13th, 2004, 4:21 pm

I have replied to this in a few other forums. I understand the producers have more of a hand in this than they should but mayhaps there should have been something in the contract about the magicians getting a say so? I dunno.

The only real gripes from not only me but my non-magical fiends as well is that JB comes off as talking to the people helping like 12 year olds and both of them show more of their personality in the between segments than the actual magic. It might just be the TV presentation, I dunno. Also some of the tricks seem to draaaaag on.

I am still taping it so obviosuly it's not too terrible. I enjoy it. I don't think they will come to Dallas to tpae any shows. "So we're in Dallas... let's leave."
Bizzaro.
www.smappdooda.com
www.bizzarobydesign.com

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 13th, 2004, 4:26 pm

Try Washington, DC. They were here filming for a week earlier this year.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

David Acer

Postby David Acer » October 13th, 2004, 4:30 pm

Originally posted by R P Wilson:
Chris and JB work very hard to try and get that killer reaction on every trick then find the producers use one of the lesser takes.
This is a chronic problem for actors and entertainers, and it's especially frustrating when you know there's a better take on the cutting-room floor. I believe the quality of most magic specials (and stand-up comedy specials, for that matter) could be improved significantly by allowing the performer to contribute to the editing process.
Now tweeting daily from @David_Acer

Terry_Holley

Postby Terry_Holley » October 13th, 2004, 8:16 pm

I just wish the words that the spectator selected in the Guest Magician book test segment hadn't been "Robert" and "lumberjack!"

Like many of you, I thought I had the "ultimate" presentation, but I guess it's "finally" time to make a change!

Terry

Glenn Farrington

Postby Glenn Farrington » October 14th, 2004, 3:46 pm

Originally posted by Jim Maloney:

I'm still unenthused about this. My gripes:

1. Both guys need to focus more on their live spectators and stop "playing" to the cameras. It's annoying.

I dont find it annoying, actually smart, old early TV technique of bringing in the Viewer. Don Alan used this technique all the time. Never thought he was annoying either.

2. On the flip side of that, the DO need to realize that certain things which may work in real life don't work on camera. Could the bottle steal have been any more suspicious looking? "I think I'll hide my whole body, along with the bottle, behind this girl here."

Flew past every laymen I was watching it with. Your eyes were watching this as a magician and not a laymen.

3. Again both guys, but more so with J.B. need to learn the power of the pause. What you do will be amplified exponentially if you eliminate all extraneous movements, words, etc. I lost count of how many times J.B. said "ok" during the course of a routine (may have been the Invisible deck routine).

Well never know what takes actually had them timing it differently while performing. But Im in complete agreement on J.B. saying OK. I love ya JBbut watch your OKsGuinness is going to start counting them

4. Related to the above note: Did Jon Stetson have to pee? The little dance he was doing was distracting.

To each his own. I loved that segment!! Producers dream, well shot, great setting,funny, intresting main charactor, great reactionsbut the producers (or editor) cut it off to quicklynot enough time to let what happened sink in. If time was an issue there was plenty of more film to cut from.

5. If you're going to force a hymn, yes, it should be well-known, but don't make it as obvious as "Amazing Grace". And make sure what you're doing makes sense. "Come here...over here...do you feel anything here? How about here?" What were they feeling for? And if they never felt anything why did he bring them into that specific section? Why didn't they just start out there in the first place? Why couldn't he just grab the hymnal that was closest to where they were standing? He mentioned afterwards about the look on the woman's face and how that was why he did magic. She looked more confused about the whole process than anything.

Absolutely wrong about Amazing Grace. It had to be a hymn that would reach the complete demographic either by knowledge or familiarity. If it was a live show, yeah maybe another hymn would have been less obvious, for TV...you dont take chances, money is on the line. Everything else in that segment was the Producers fault completely. JB did what he was suppose to do, play it the way it needed to be, that is his job, what makes that easy on the talent when it may not be going as well as it should, is knowing that another take would be done.

6. So far, across the two episodes, the best bit has been Harry Anderson performing Heirloom. While it doesn't surprise me that he was good, I would think that the two guys who are, you know, the stars of the show, would produce more memorable moments.

If thats what you think, then Im not sure you understand what plays on TV for laymen. That segment although good (it could have been a lot better) did not even enter in the conversations I had with laymen who saw the show. When I mentioned that segment, they even thought it was just ok. Frankly, that would be my opinion as well. Great trick, not a visually (remember the medium) memorable segment.

That's just my opinion so far. I'll likely keep watching the show, though, because I like to keep up on what's current in magic, and also because I really want them to succeed and have a better show.

-Jim

And thats what makes forum discussions great. It allows us all to have an opinion. But I do agree with Jim, I too want them to succeed and for the show to grow in all aspects.

Glenn
Comedy's Easy...Dying Sucks.

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » October 14th, 2004, 6:36 pm

I have to say that I liked the second episode even better than the first. I like the fact that it's framed as a travelogue in which we get to pal around with Chris and BJ. I think the talking to the camera works.

I do wish BJ would work on his spectator management a bit. It doesn't seem like he's really considered their part in what is done. Perhaps that's intentional and designed to make it look less structured but I don't think it works for him.

As for Jon Stetson, I've never seen his work before and I'm not a huge fan of "mentalism" but dang if it wasn't the high point of the show so far...

Postby Guest » October 14th, 2004, 7:38 pm

Paul, so are we going to get to see you as a "guest magician" on one of the episodes? :cool:

rich aviles

Postby rich aviles » October 14th, 2004, 8:46 pm

In response to Glenn Farrington's comment about Anderson/Heirloom not standing out to laypeople; my girlfriend remembered only two things from the show. One was Heirloom and the other was the floating credit card.

Two days after the show she asked me how Heirloom was done. Just tossing that out as another opinion. :)

I really liked the first show. Missed the second.
Cat Herder at TRCKY.com.

Ryan Matney

Postby Ryan Matney » October 15th, 2004, 3:30 pm

Three things:

1. I enjoyed the show over all and liked most of the magic. None of the magicians so far perform the way I like to see magic presented but that's ok, they are not me.

2. To Glenn: Sorry, but Don Alan never pulled stupid faces at the camera and stumbled and groped for words. His presentations were polished to hell and back. Doesn't even compare.

3. To R. Paul Wilson: The so called stained glass effect performed on the show is NOT what was discussed on the old thread and brought up by Andy Hurst and myself.

What was performed on Mondo Magic is a good old card revelation and I enjoyed the way it was done if not the awkward performance. "Stained Glass" as demonstrated and discussed on the internet is a terrible bastardization of the principle and not the same effect at all.
Get the Dirty Work - Available now at http://www.ryanmatneymagic.com

Andy Hurst

Postby Andy Hurst » October 15th, 2004, 3:49 pm

I haven't seen Mondo Magic, but I do know that the original discussion about Stained Glass was not about a trick where a card prediction changes.

When Stained Glass came out the main trick being demoed on Adam Graces web site was some terrible nonsense with a small piece of glass and the word 'WOW'. The original demo can still be found on the web, it's linked to on the foocan web log for example.

It was only after the discussion on Genii forum that the demo of stained glass changed to the one that's more commonly found online where a prediction changes, which I agree is a slightly better effect, but it's hardly original, and as Paul Wilson pointed out, it's a 70 year old gag from Jinx.

It's not even a trick really, unless the trick is..."Now my thumb is black".

Andy.

Glenn Farrington

Postby Glenn Farrington » October 16th, 2004, 1:18 am

Originally posted by Ryan Matney:

2. To Glenn: Sorry, but Don Alan never pulled stupid faces at the camera and stumbled and groped for words. His presentations were polished to hell and back. Doesn't even compare.
Sorry Ryan...you did not read what I responded to. You only read into it. My comment was only stating that Don Alan often did play to the camera when doing a trick for spectators. Your statement about stupid faces or any of your other stated opinions had nothing to do with what I said. Simply put...as a technique, regardless of how the talent utilizes it, is exactly the same.

nyah...nyah...nyah
Comedy's Easy...Dying Sucks.

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » October 16th, 2004, 7:32 am

Yes, but I think Ryan understood what my meaning was, even though I didn't express it very well.

-Jim

Ryan Matney

Postby Ryan Matney » October 16th, 2004, 12:18 pm

Well Done Glenn. If you want to make your case about the technique not being annoying but useful and smart then you should compare the performers in question to someone of their talent or skill level as you say.

Saying they use the same techniques as Don Alan and you enjoy both is like saying that you enjoy a 3-yearold's fingerpaintings as much as Jackson Pollock's because both are messy.

I'm sure I understand you now anyway.

Yes, Jim, I understood and agree with you.

Postby Guest » October 16th, 2004, 12:49 pm

Sweet! I was looking forward to the day that my trick "Stained Glass" would hit the forums again. I owe Andy and Ryan a great deal of thanks. Due to the thread you guys started last year, the sales of this item went through the roof.
So here is the link where you can get Stained Glass http://www.adamgracemagic.com

Also, when I recently showed Stained Glass to Billy McComb, he said it was one of the best tricks he has seen in the last 20 years. (I think it fooled him.)

Now, about Mondo Magic. The version that Chris performed is dated back to the Jinx when Anneman used a chalk board to achive the effect. Also, Looy Simonoff, in the mid eighties, is credited for adopting the same idea with an erasable Bic pen.
I have versions of this trick which will all be covered in my new DVD, "The Glass Act"- twenty tricks with Stained Glass, which is coming out soon from my website.

Andy, I want to send you and Ryan the first two copies for free. If you guys hate it.... please post your comments right here on the good old Genii Forum.

I love magic!

-Adam Grace

Ryan Matney

Postby Ryan Matney » October 16th, 2004, 5:10 pm

Now that's the funniest thing I've seen on Genii forum in awhile.

That's what we're here for Adam. Is this the most likable guy in magic or what?

I'm sure both Andy and myself would love to see the new dvd and we would both give you a full honest review right here and on our sites.

Now, maybe you can return the favor and tell everyone what a lousy bunch of garbage I published in my newest book--available now at www.ryanmatney.com

P.S. Was Billy McComb drunk? :D

Andy Hurst

Postby Andy Hurst » October 16th, 2004, 5:10 pm

Ya know, I often think people get the wrong idea. I don't speak my mind to put people off buying an effect or to encourage it. Discussion forums only work if people share opinions and views.

I remember saying at the time this was discussed before how well Adam responded, and once again he responds with class.

I don't post as much as I used to on forums, simply because my strong views usually get me a string of emails that are nothing more than a string of abuse.

I'm glad your effect sold well Adam, and I hope those who viewed the demos and those who purchased it all drew their own conclusions.

I'd be happy to check out your DVD (I need some coasters - j/k) and post my comments. Email me and I'll send you my address.

Best wishes,

Andy.

Steve V

Postby Steve V » October 16th, 2004, 5:24 pm

Ryans new book has some very good material in it.
Steve V
Steve V

Return to “Buzz”