Fred Kaps instructional video?

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Brad Jeffers

Fred Kaps instructional video?

Postby Brad Jeffers » February 7th, 2002, 2:29 pm

On page 257 of "The Success Book" by Francis & Jay Marshall, under the topic of rental of magic movies, the authors write, "Fred Kaps has some excellent film of his own work, educational films made with good direction plot and sequence. Copies are for sale, and sold with the stipulation that they may not be copied, and that they are for the exclusive use of the individual or organization purchasing them. Kaps is one of the most successful professionals in the world, and he priced the films accordingly." Does anyone here, remember viewing this film? I am surprised that no one has obtained the rights to this and put it out on video.

Frank Yuen

Re: Fred Kaps instructional video?

Postby Frank Yuen » February 7th, 2002, 7:03 pm

Haven't seen it in awhile but Kaps' hands appeared in a short film of a magician practicing various moves. It was an instructional film or sorts but not like the ones available today. There was a bit of a story line concerning the person daydreaming of becoming a great magician. What I remember was mostly card moves and the name Max Mindlin (or something like that) in the title. Hope someone else can shed more light.

Frank Yuen

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » February 7th, 2002, 9:33 pm

Max Mindlin it was... He "dreamed" as you said. They were originally on film. I think someone put them to tape. There was a lot of good coin work as well as cards, I think there were 2 different films. I may have them somewhere [stored]... argh... some day I'll dig my stff out.

There are also some tapes made from SESSIONS with Br. Hamman, myself and Johnny Thompson, from our 3-man lecture in Japan in 1980.
Stay tooned.

Ryan Matney

Postby Ryan Matney » February 7th, 2002, 9:42 pm

There are also some tapes made from SESSIONS with Br. Hamman, myself and Johnny Thompson, from our 3-man lecture in Japan in 1980.

I would love to see that. Any chance any of it will be made availible, Pete?

Ryan
Get the Dirty Work - Available now at http://www.ryanmatneymagic.com

Andrew Martin Portala

Postby Andrew Martin Portala » February 8th, 2002, 5:06 am

I think the SAM video library has them.
Andrew Martin

Terry

Postby Terry » February 9th, 2002, 6:40 am

I may have them somewhere [stored]... argh... some day I'll dig my stff out.

Pete, you have been saying that about the "black hole" known as your garage for years.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » February 9th, 2002, 8:40 am

come visit and you'll see :p
Stay tooned.

Robert Kane

Postby Robert Kane » February 9th, 2002, 12:45 pm

Not sure if this is of interest, but I received this today in an e-mail newsletter/advertisement from Denny & Lee Magic. Presume other dealers will also be carrying this item:

FRED KAPS CD, IT'S SO SIMPLE by Fred Kaps-$15.00

The legendary Fred Kaps caught live in lecture at the Magic Circle in London in 1965. Sit back and listen to the true master of classic magic as he takes you through a journey on magic in the Kaps style. Fred Kaps was probably the most "natural" performing magician I ever saw. His personality was truly one of the most "likeable" ever! He was a master at misdirection and relied heavily on it in his routines. The stories are wonderfully entertaining and the lessons learned from this man are priceless. It's a real treat to have him recorded on CD.

Mike Powers
Favorite Magician: Gary Kurtz, Dave Williamson, Dani DaOrtiz, Juan Tamariz

Postby Mike Powers » February 9th, 2002, 2:43 pm

Fred Kaps was supposed to be the guest of honor at the 1980 Las Vegas Desert Seminar. It may have been the first one. This is when it was all close up - 125 people - no tours of Siegfried and Roy's house etc. Fred was sick and Phillipe Fiahlo (sp?)came in his place. The convention was awesome! Phillipe brought movies of Fred Kaps doing tricks silently to some French Jazz. You'd first see the audience view and the effects were mindboggling - totally fooling everyone. Then you'd see it from the magician's view and the methods were incredible. You'd laugh out loud. I hope these become available. I'd love to see them again.

Mike Powers

Postby Guest » February 9th, 2002, 3:21 pm

those educational films were very classy, and very cool. I'm not sure who the target audience was supposed to be, the material is quite good.
There is footage of Kaps performing the Gypsy Thread on an English talk show, and WOW! He makes it look like real magic.

Any chance of this footage being produced for the rest of us shlubs to see?

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » February 9th, 2002, 5:00 pm

OK SCHLUBS... I have an extensive collection of Kaps on tape... blew David Regal's brain showing a few to him thia morning. Fred gave these to me for my own use. It seems that there are a number of magicians interested in seeing this material. Therefore, I shall conact his widow to work out a rights deal. Some is poor quality, but to me so what... it is the content that matters.

Let me know if there really is interest.

BTW does anyone know who produced the CD mentioned? And if permission was granted?
Stay tooned.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 9th, 2002, 5:38 pm

The CD was produced originally as an audiocassette by, I think, Ken Brooke or Martin Breese.
Pete: the person to put all that Kaps footage onto a DVD is probably Geno Munari, just like he's doing with Mike Skinner.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » February 9th, 2002, 7:08 pm

Please, please, please, keep us posted, Pete. You the man!!!

Bill McFadden

Postby Bill McFadden » February 9th, 2002, 7:21 pm

RK is correct as usual: the CD's advertised by Denny are part of a Martin Breese series of tape transcriptions.

Peat, I beg of you: do whatever you can to get Kaps footage available commercially! We'll pay! :cool: :D

Postby Guest » February 9th, 2002, 8:01 pm

Pete - Count me in - I'm another waiting customer! Don't make us come and start cleaning up that garage so we can... uh, wait - that would be playing right into your hands... forget that last part about cleaning up your garage... but do make the Kaps material available if you can! Thanks!
--Asrah

Terry

Postby Terry » February 10th, 2002, 6:09 am

come visit and you'll see

Would except for 2 reasons...1. I'm in KY and
2. I might run into Peg digging through! :D

Seriously, I would like to see you be able to release the Kaps footage you have and Richard's suggestion of letting Geno release on DVD is excellent.

Best to you!

Andrew Martin Portala

Postby Andrew Martin Portala » February 10th, 2002, 7:04 am

The SAM video library has 13 videos that has Kaps on them. Wonderful world of magic, A Fantasio donation of 8mm films , Kaps on cards and coins it was donated by Bill McIhany.These's are a few of what they have on Kaps.
I'm glad they have them but I wish I could have seen him in person.
Andrew Martin

Postby Guest » February 10th, 2002, 7:29 am

So how does one view these SAM videos?

Pete,
Let's talk about Kaps! You knew him personally, what was he like to talk to? How old was he when you knew him, and was he still activily creating?

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » February 10th, 2002, 9:39 am

Chris... Kaaps, who a few of us called him by his real name... Bram Bongers, (Tommy Wonder is Jos Bema) was, in his own words, "A professional and an amateur magician... a pro when I work, an amateur to learn."

Kaps was NOT a creator of magic, but the consumate performer, routiner. His skill was such, and his respect of the art, made it so that a great number of creators would give their ideas to him... because one knew it would be excecuted to perfection.

He was loved by all, his family came first... he was the perfect gentleman, at home with royalty, or even "the boys" sessionong card tricks all night.

Travelling with him to shows in Holland his style netted many laughs... he was funny in his talking act, but not slapsticky... he was the brunt of the humor, he was seemingly being fooled by what was happening himself.

His lay act repertoire? Professor's nightmare, spot card, chinese sticks, homing card. 11 bill trick, linking rings... if he did two spots in a review show he would do the silent manip act, opening with vanishing cane in newspaper, candle productions and flame thru silk candle, card manips but with dollar bills, smoking thumb, jumbo coin production, closing with long salt pour.

His first (of 3) FISM GP Wins was as "Mystica" producing, as a running gag, dozens of canes... his memorable cane bit was the production of a rabbit from a cane... (HUH?) -- No visible prop--a pair of rabbit ears appeared sticking out of thr end of a cane... he grabbed at the ears and BANG he was seen holding a rabbit!

When he first started he was coached by Henk Vermeyden... a blessing and a problem... Henk came to the U.S. and "pinced" material and taught it to his young students... two such items he taught Fred were Roy Benson's chinese sticks and the salt pour. Years later, when Fred found out, his presentations were so different, they had, in fact, become his...
David Regal visited yesterday and watched some of the material and what really stood out was Kaps' deliberate style, called POINTING... his words (I don't call it patter) emphasised what he was doing... he made sure... and SOLD what the effect... he literally told people this was amazing...

more later, stay tooned...
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » February 10th, 2002, 9:49 am

Pete,

Please include me on the list of interested people. I have only seen one clip of him perform and it was the 11 bill trick.

I really like the performance only stuff (like the recent Michael Skinner tapes from Geno Munari) so I would gladly buy such items featuring Fred Kaps.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » February 10th, 2002, 10:29 am

NO MORE INCLUDE ME MESSAGES PLEASE, THANX :(
Stay tooned.

Dick Koornwinder

Postby Dick Koornwinder » February 10th, 2002, 1:14 pm

There are two Fred Kaps instructional films. Filmed on 8mm by Max Mindlin and edited by Kaps himself. Mindlin died a couple of years ago during a fire in his house. Pete Biro has written in the summer of 1972 the lecture notes of Kaps. There is a list of the items performed in the films included.Showing the films was a part of the lecture of Kaps. The lists are giving a good impression of Kaps's favorite books.
Expert card manipulations
1. A flourish and a pass. (Paul le Paul's book, page 35)
2. Thumb Pass. (Tenkai)
3. Lapping a card while riffle shuffling on table. (Jerry Andrus)
4. Turnover shuffle. (More Inner Card Secrets. Page 53. Vernon)
5. Push-off false table cut.
6. Charlie Miller's Spin Cut. (Ultimate Card Secrets. Page 124. Vernon)
7. False Table Pass. (Card Control. Page 121. Buckley)
8. Revolving Palm. (Tenkai)
9. Hugard Top Palm. (Expert Card Technique. Page 57)
10. Fred Kaps Delivery Palm.
11. Glimpsing bottom card. (Card Control. Page 43. Buckley)
12. Snap Card Change. (One card)
13. Snap Change using whole deck. (Cardini Change)
14. Miracle Card Change. (Ed Marlo)
15. Red & Black aces. (Routine by Clark Crandell)
16. Slip Cut.
Notes on coins
1. Victor Coin Change. (Magic of the Hands)
2. Slydini Coin Box Move.
3. Travelling Coin. (L. Ireland?)
4. Silver and China Coin Change in Silk (Turn over move in silk)
5. Hook Coin.
6. Nelson Hahne's Coin Trough Hand.
7. Horse (or Elephant) gimmick coin vanish.
8. Chinese coin from woollen thread.
9. Coin penetrating silk
10. Coins from playing card. (Credit card)
11. Coins through table. (Using threaded coin)
12. Vanishing coin under playing card. (Using threaded coin)
A recent source of Kaps material you can find in the TV program Heroes of Magic 2000, produced for Thames Television by John Fisher and broadcasted in December 2000. The floating cork is one of the highlights! Ask your British friends.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » February 10th, 2002, 2:10 pm

OK Koornwinder... when is the book going to be finished??? :) :rolleyes: :confused:
Stay tooned.

Dick Koornwinder

Postby Dick Koornwinder » February 10th, 2002, 2:37 pm

By some reason I do hear that question very often. A sort of an answer. It would be wonderful if the Kaps book would be presented during FISM 2003 in The Hague, The Netherlands. www.fism2003.com Yes…that would be wonderful!!!

Andrew Martin Portala

Postby Andrew Martin Portala » February 10th, 2002, 7:29 pm

If your member of the SAM you can get the Videos.All the info. is in MUM.

Thanks Pete and Dick for info. on Kaps.
Also on the Heroes of Magic is Kaps performing the homing card?I think that's name of it. In his hands it's just great!!!

What I got out of Kaps is a story from my friend Dick Oslund.
I think it was a SAM convention,maybe Boston?
Well,someone asked Kaps a question on how do something it was something very basic.
Kaps got a little mad he said, that's in Tarbell. DON'T YOU READ!
So the bottom line is do your homework.
Andrew Martin

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » February 10th, 2002, 9:41 pm

One of Fred's most repeated lines... "Magicians stop thinking too soon." What he implied is that when one solves something they stop... but should keep thinking of better ways...
Stay tooned.

Andrew Martin Portala

Postby Andrew Martin Portala » February 11th, 2002, 8:20 pm

In Michael Jefffery's book enlightin magicians ,Johnny Thompson talks about Arturo Ascanio quoting him he said," A magician is like a gardener;he's constantly,throughout the garden's entire life span,and his lifespan,pruing and trimming and transplanting."
Andrew Martin

Philippe Noël

Postby Philippe Noël » February 12th, 2002, 1:11 pm

Mr Biro,
Can you tell us how you met Mr Kaps?
Thank you in advance.

Philippe Nol

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » February 12th, 2002, 6:03 pm

Phillipe... gosh, I really don't remember our first meeting. It must have been at a convention, but it was a looooooong time ago.

Sorry... :o
Stay tooned.

fkaps1

Postby fkaps1 » February 13th, 2002, 12:53 pm

Hi All,

For those that know my e-mail address, they will know how much I admired Fred Kaps. I consider him to be the finest all-around magician I ever saw. Simply to watch him perform was enough of an education. I have been fortunate enough to acquire a number of videos of Fred performing throughout the years and in watching them one can get a sense of his thinking that permeated everything he did. Thanks to Dick Koornwinder I was able to obtain a few of Fred's props many years ago. I hope that between Dick and Pete they can get THE BOOK out by FISM 2003 along with as much video as possible so that future generations can benefit from this genius who was taken from us far too soon.

Marc DeSouza

MaxNY
Favorite Magician: Jeff McBride

Postby MaxNY » February 13th, 2002, 1:21 pm

I started to restore the 8mm stuff from the SAM library, but never finished the job because I tried to match Russian music with some guy that produces loads and loads of waterbowls.My 8mm clients include Jimi, Sally, Bush's wedding D.Cassidy,M.Manson, and others...I will get you a copy (better than SAM has it now) if you can find me the music the Russian Water God performed to.

Dick Koornwinder

Postby Dick Koornwinder » February 13th, 2002, 1:58 pm

Hi everybody,
I thought this topic was already closed and had the intention to answer some people personally. I'm now happy to use this forum again. Andrew in the program Heroes of Magic is also a registration of Kaps performing the Homing Cards (1978). This is a true lesson in acting. The way Kaps is making “a double take” is unbelievable. IMHO Heroes of Magic is the greatest tribute to our art of the 20th century. In five episodes (one hour and fifty minutes together) you see the complete history of magic in the last century. Many thanks John Fisher!! Fred Kaps appeared three times (one time together with the first time TV exposure of the Beatles in the USA) in the Ed Sullivan Show. In one of the shows he is also performing the Homing Cards and also the production of a rabbit from a cane. Pete mentioned this effect before in this forum. Jay Marshall bought this piece of apparatus at an auction in 1984. Francis wrote in her column in the Linking Ring something like this: “My beloved husband came home with a piece of metal pipe with two ears inside. I hope he has not paid too much for it”.
Philippe, I can tell you Pete Biro has met Kaps more than 32 years ago, probably at a convention. One of the first times, I guess the first time, he made a visit to the house of the Kaps family he just arrived from a shooting of the 24 Lemans race in France. I still remember his jacket smelled to champagne cause the fact he was very close with his cameras at the prize giving. In the early seventies Pete started a correspondence with Kaps. In less than ten years Pete has written more than hundred letters to Fred (I have stopped counting after 100). You have to understand at that time the Internet did not exist and Pete provided Kaps with all the actual news from the USA and Kaps was very happy with it (me too!!!). It is very interesting to read!!
OK..One quote (sit down):
“The problem that I didn't mention to Ken (Brooke) was the smoking of marijuana at Channing's….John (Thompson) and I said no…Anyway, it isn't all that bad a scene….just different to what we think of as normal…the COSMIC stuff in Channing he feels is real…he thinks he has found real magic!!! When we got there he had spent all day plowing a field...so he is in top physical condition…never looked better. 49 years old…long hair, not quite as long as Ricky Jay, but close to it….”
I have interviewed a few people and everybody has told me they have not inhaled!!
This is all for the moment.
Dick Koornwinder

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » February 13th, 2002, 6:16 pm

OH BOY... do I wish I had kept copies of those letters... HINT NINT, DICK????? :(
Stay tooned.

Philippe Noël

Postby Philippe Noël » February 14th, 2002, 10:13 am

a sense of his thinking that permeated everything he did.

Marc,
Can you explain a little bit more what you mean in this sentence?
Sadly, I have no access to any taping of Kaps.

Philippe Nol

Philippe Noël

Postby Philippe Noël » February 14th, 2002, 10:25 am

I would love to read a good biography on Kaps. Is the future book about Kaps a sort of biography or just a book about his tricks?
What were the links between Kaps and Vernon, Skinner, Jay, York, Fialho, Biro ...
Philippe Nol

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » February 14th, 2002, 9:25 pm

Phillipe... thr links of rhose you named were a love of magic, a love of on another, respect for magic and it as an art... you left out one more link... Ken Brooke... not to mention Koornwinder, Phoa Yan tiong, Jay Marshall and Albert Goshman.

All singing the same tune. :)
Stay tooned.

John Pezzullo

Postby John Pezzullo » February 15th, 2002, 1:43 am

If you're after information about Fred Kaps, you may wish to purchase the following booklet:

"Fred Kaps - A Retrospective" (1988 / Hades Publications)

My understanding is that the booklet was originally published in Dutch and then subsequentally translaetd into English. I purchased my copy from Hank Lee's Magic Factory. They may still have copies for sale.

Back in the mid-to-late 1970s, repeats of "The David Nixon Show" used to be screened on television during the week, five nights a week if I remember correctly. Each show used to feature a guest performer. Fred Kaps was the featured performer on a number of shows. David Nixon held him in high regard.

One of the performances that I can recall was Fred Kaps' version of the 'Benson Bowl Routine'. Performing seated at the close-up table with David Nixon seated to his left, Fred Kaps' routine left me totally bewildered. The vanishes were ultra clean, there was no hint of 'deception'. Everything was smooth and polished. You knew that you were watching a master at work whenever you had the pleasure of seeing Fred Kaps perform.

I sincerely hope that a 'big' Fred Kaps book is published one day.

fkaps1

Postby fkaps1 » February 15th, 2002, 6:46 am

Hi Phillippe,

There are a number of things I was referring to. First, Kaps was a master actor. His performance of The Homing Card is a lesson for any magician. But his other performances showed a consisitency of character that drove his presentations. His manner was never superior. Instead, it was almost conversational, but he was always in control. Every move he did was motivated by natural covering actions. His execution of the Smoking Thumb had the finest transfers of the gaff imaginable, because he used natural actions to cover them.

He had a wonderful way of streamling action. He took very direct routes to get where he needed to be. He had a wonderful way of cleaning up other's material and making it his own. His handling of the Vernon Coins In Silk is a prime example. He could use very simple methods and fool you badly with them, because you weren't expecting such a simple solution. His ditch of the cane in his stage act was brilliant simplicity. His Vanishing COins in the Cup and the Ring Through Silk from his lecture killed magicians.

It is well worth studying everthing you can find in print, which unfortunately was very little. In addition to the Freddie Jelsma book there is It's So Simple, which was an audio of a lecture he did with an accompanying book. There are also lecture notes which were published by both Magic, Inc. and Ken Brooke. I would call Magic, Inc. to see if they have any available. I often see them on used lists or you might try H&R Magic Books.

Hope that helps,

Marc DeSouza

Philippe Noël

Postby Philippe Noël » February 15th, 2002, 2:29 pm

Do you think it would be correct to say that what made Kaps so exceptional was his sense of acting?
I am thinking for example about his finale, the long salt poor or perhaps the homing card(I have not seen it but heard about it).

Philippe Nol

Philippe Noël

Postby Philippe Noël » February 15th, 2002, 2:33 pm

I meant long salt pour of course.

Philippe Nol

Return to “Buzz”