Vernon Touch - Help Wanted

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
malbright

Vernon Touch - Help Wanted

Postby malbright » August 18th, 2005, 3:03 pm

Richard, Dustin, myself and others have been at work on the new Vernon book, a compilation of all his columns in Genii. The book looks to be a whopper. Many hundreds of pages and tons of wonderful photos you've never seen before. It's a massive undertaking, but coming along inch by inch.

However, one thing we currently do not have is an index. Frankly, those of us currently working on the book just don't have the time to compile it, at least given our life expectancies, and we also realize that down the road there will inevitably be a searchable electronic version. Nevertheless, an index in the hardcover version would really plus it out and make it an even more valuable research tool. Anyone out there up for the project?

If so, you would most likely need a Macintosh, so I can provide you with the text in a layout program (InDesign) and you can flag the individual items, which will allow the program to create a collation that would remain accurate regardless of how we juggle the contents.

In return for this painstaking labor of love, you will be credited, you will be rewarded with the thanks of the entire magic community, and you will receive some free copies of the book. I am guessing that there's about 600-700 pages of text, so God help you.

We need someone who's meticulous, and who has enough knowledge to know what to index and what not. The project would start immediately, or close to it. Any takers? Email me at malbright@earthlink.net. We really could use your help! Thanks.

malbright

Re: Vernon Touch - Help Wanted

Postby malbright » August 19th, 2005, 6:15 pm

Greetings,
Happily, I received a number of emails from volunteers. Unhappily, in the last 24 hours I had a severe system crash and lost all my emails. So ... if you wrote about this project, could you please forward me your emails again? Sorry for the bother! Thanks.

Joe Pecore
Favorite Magician: Paul Harris

Postby Joe Pecore » August 20th, 2005, 8:10 am

I'll just post my response here for you.
I'd be glad to help anyway I can, although I have an older Mac (iMac with OS 9.2) and don't have the software you mentioned.
Share your knowledge on the MagicPedia wiki.

PapaG

Postby PapaG » August 20th, 2005, 3:14 pm

Michael,

I emailed you earlier today - I'd be happy to help out.

Mark Papa

papa@papagarcia.com

cwilcox

Postby cwilcox » August 22nd, 2005, 7:35 pm

Michael,

I wanted to offer my help. I used to be a professional indexer (sounds glamorous doesn't it?) for a computer publishing company. The only problem is that I do not have a Mac. So it may not work out but please let me know if I can be of help.

Chris Wilcox
Circle City Magic
www.circlecitymagic.com

Return to “Buzz”