Tannen's is a ripoff - Be Warned

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
malbright

Tannen's is a ripoff - Be Warned

Postby malbright » August 16th, 2003, 6:18 pm

Thought fellow board members should know...Tannen's just ripped me off. I shouldn't say just--it's taken three months.

Ordered Paul Harris' "Lip Smacker" in May. It arrived broken, and the product/gaff was flawed, making the trick totally unusable. (I understand a lot of the first ones were like this.)

Called Tannen's 4 times before anyone would even deal with my problem. To a person, everyone was surly, rude and condescending. They never would return a call, they would put me on hold and then hang up, they would act like I was stupid and it was my fault--you know, the usual consumer nightmare. Finally, they agreed to an exchange. Sent the product back to Tannen's, and never heard a word since.

I've called 5 additional times, speaking to 5 different people, every one of whom promised me I would get a refund. Never happened. Still no refund or product, 3 months later.

I spoke to the bookeeper, Seth. I spoke to one of the magicians behind the counter, David. Both of them swore to me I would get a refund. Nothing. They never followed through. I even told David I was going to make this post if I didn't finally get a refund. Made no difference.

All this time and energy for a lousy $24! It really pisses me off. I should have ordered from Hollywood, or Hank Lee, or any number of other shops with wonderful, honest service.

Those of you who know me know I try to be patient, friendly and understanding. I have NEVER had a bad experience yet with a magic shop, so this is a first. But let me tell you, my friends, if you have a problem with Tannen's you can expect to be treated like crap, you will be lied to, and you will waste your time.

Richard -- is Tannen's an advertisers? If so, do you stand behind your subscribers? Is there anything Genii can do??

:mad:

Steve V

Re: Tannen's is a ripoff - Be Warned

Postby Steve V » August 16th, 2003, 7:06 pm

Tannens has the worse rep (maybe Pete's Best is worse) among magic shops when ordering something rather than walking into the shop. One thing though, I notice you are in California, so am I, New Yorkers and points North come off a lot ruder and surly than they may be. It's a different mentality than you find here, not that there is anything wrong with that.
Steve V
Steve V

malbright

Postby malbright » August 16th, 2003, 8:25 pm

Having lived in NY for years, and still traveling there often, I can assure you that the employees of Tannen's were just plain rude and thoughtless. It wasn't a misinterpretation due to the way New Yorkers "are". In fact, most New Yorkers I know are direct and to the point--for some this comes off as harsh, but to me it's just being honest. The staff of Tannen's were anything but that. No, this wasn't a New York thing.

Their suck reputation is well-deserved.

Postby Guest » August 16th, 2003, 8:47 pm

Hello all.

I live in New York and I stop into Tannans at least once a week and I find the shop to be like any other store I've stopped into for most of my life - sometimes I get great service and sometimes I don't.

When the place is not swamped (which is rare) I get all the attention and help I could ever need - when the place is cramped with wall-to-wall customers I get the standard "What do you need" question. It's not good - it's not bad - it is what it is.

That's been my experience of the place at least.

Admittedly though, I have never ordered over the phone or from the website either.

And for the record I'm a New Yorker and I'm hardly ever rude - so we're not all bad. ;)

Postby Guest » August 17th, 2003, 4:36 am

During one of my recent visit to Tannens, David Roth walked in. He asked the guy behind the counter for some very basic and widely available coin products. The salesperson was not familiar with them. Roth suggested he ask someone in the back. After many minutes the counterman returned to report the coin sets were not available. Roth then asked if he could take a quick look at a copy of one of the bound editions of Apocolypse for sale. The kid behind the counter said he could not remove the shrink wrap so Roth could look. Roth politely asked if the kid could again go in back and ask, and Roth mentioned, very nicely, that he was a contributor to the publication. Salesman returned and reported that the owner said "no". I guess I'd understand if the salesman didn't recognized Roth, but Roth's picture is all over the shop by dint of his videos which are on display and for sale. By the way, that day Tannens was also out of one of the things I was in the shop to buy -- regular decks of bikes.

MaxNY
Favorite Magician: Jeff McBride

Postby MaxNY » August 17th, 2003, 6:13 am

They all have their good points, and bad points. I will relate just two things that have happened to me this week... I called three or four places trying to get Hat Coils. I have been on back order from Abbott's for five weeks, their shipment just came in, but I guess I had to remind them. With the "Get-Together" and all, I still haven't seen my Hat Coils. I then called three other places, last resort was Hank Lee. About five years ago, I vowed to never deal with Hank Lee again. Most of my gripes are due to shipping problems. Hank and company (five years ago) overnighted a partial order... the stuff I recieved was not needed overnight. My arguement was that a simple pnone call would have rendered that problem. It WAS overnight, I guess I needed something REALLY bad, or else I wouldn't have spent $16 just in shipping. This past week, I told "Steve" from Hank Lee's that I needed Hat Coils by Friday, "No problem"... Then I proceeded to ask just how they would ship that..."UPS 2nd Day?" I asked...This would be my choice, mainly because I know the UPS man would release the package with no signature. Hankster sent package out Fed-X. Yesterday I had to drive two hours just to pick up stupid Hat Coils. I E-Mailed the Chowder Head, and vowed never to use Hank Lee again. On top of that, no reciept was in the box, OK...maybe they mail the reciept afterwards.
---But in defense of Steve at Tannen's... I get a call on my answering machine Thursday, (before the power went down), it's Steve from Tannen's and they recieved a shipment of Hat Coils. I asked for them eight weeks ago, in passing. I don't know where he got my phone number from, but he went out of his way to call me, (long distance too). He even remembered I had a size request!!!
It's too easy to slam dealers on boards like this, I'm sure we all have our stories. Magic mail order Queens should all take hint. I do see a big upturn in Tannen's. I think the problem with the original thread hints at a defective product. Who eats the defective crow? The dealers, they have to take crap from all kinds, and defective tricks burn holes in pockets, and burn holes in reputations.

malbright

Postby malbright » August 17th, 2003, 6:38 am

Actually, I waited 3 months to "slam" Tannens, Max.

Regardless of the product, or even the return policy of the shop, there is no excuse for lying, not caring and basically, taking someone's money for nothing.

I cannot understand why anyone would want to let these guys off the hook?

Is it really okay to be "neither good nor bad"? Is mediocrity or worse what we are willing to settle for in a NY magic shop?

Magic and the people who love it deserve better.

Michael Jay

Postby Michael Jay » August 17th, 2003, 7:04 am

Yes, I agree, we do deserve better. And, forums such as this give us a place to vent our frustrations, which is a good thing.

I would highly recommend L&L Publishing. Every time I've dealt with that place, the service has been of the highest quality. In one instance, I received a package from Daytona Magic (I'll never give them another penny of my hard earned cash) and the vid was poor. Daytona told me to take my problems to the original maker, which was L&L. I called, they took care of me without me spending a single cent with them. Efficient, fast and effective.

Mike.

Postby Guest » August 17th, 2003, 7:59 am

Which is why I've enjoyed doing business with places like Denny's, Houdini's, MagicSmith and Haines. They are folks who care about their reputation and take steps to make sure it stays high.

Postby Guest » August 17th, 2003, 11:33 am

Michael,
Please email me at yendors1@email.msn.com and tell me what was wrong with your "Lip Smacker". We will do whatever is necessary to help rectify your problem.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » August 17th, 2003, 12:34 pm

Rodney,

The URL for http://www.deepastonishment.com/ in your profile has a comma instead of a period after the "www" that makes it invalid. You may want to go in and edit that.

I think it's very kind of you to make this offer of reconciliation to Michael.

When I first read Michael's post, I had to do a mental double take to see if this was the Michael Albright with whom I have become acquainted. Michael is one of the most mild-mannered people I've had the good fortune to meet. Knowing this about him tells me just how intolerable the situation has become between him and Tannen's. There is simply no excuse for Tannen's--or any business--to have such pathetic customer service. It is clear to me that Michael was asking for nothing more than for someone there to simply do his job. Almost 20 years ago, after years of doing a considerable amount of commerce with them, I stopped doing business with Tannen's. I thought that perhaps the recent ownership change might result in a shift in the manner in which they conduct business, but apparently not. It really is a shame.

Dustin

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » August 19th, 2003, 8:19 am

Originally posted by Steven Brown, Pres - Tannen's Magic:
You don't say, Steve. ;)

Seriously, though -- I've never bought from Tannen's via mail-order, but I am a fairly regular in-store customer. I've always found them to be pleasant and helpful in there, espcially since Steve took over. Perhaps it's because they know me now or whatever, but I rarely have a problem there.

I'd recommend, if possible, that you talk directly to Steve. He's a great guy and is generally more than willing to help.

-Jim

Postby Guest » August 19th, 2003, 8:29 am

Mr. Albright,

I can see your frustration here with your order. When you originally ordered this trick it was sent promptly. The product was defective and was returned for a refund. David issued a refund to your account on August 7th as you requested after a long wait. We apologize.

I know there was some misunderstanding on this transaction. We only have the best interest of our customers at heart. We are here for the customer to serve them and not to frustrate them. Every company now and and then runs into a mishap or two. This is normal. But, we try to always stay at 100% with customer service. We have been in business since 1929 and will continue to serve the magic community for many more years to come.

We are disappointed that magicians continue to use forums to attempt to destroy reputations of magic shops that are in business to support the industry. This serves no long term purpose and is a vicious circle - eventually every store will run into a problem and become the next target.

Michael please consider why we are here an continue to support Tannen's Magic - we respect your concerns so please respect ours.

Sincerely,

Steven Brown
President,
Tannen's Magic

P.S. this will be Tannen's only forum reply. Please contact us at 212-929-4500 for any other questions.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 19th, 2003, 9:31 am

Steve Brown wrote, "We are disappointed that magicians continue to use forums to attempt to destroy reputations of magic shops that are in business to support the industry. This serves no long term purpose and is a vicious circle - eventually every store will run into a problem and become the next target."

Steve, I know Michael Albright extremely well and I was just as shocked as Dustin that he was so angry. He certainly is not using this forum to attempt to destroy the reputation of Tannen's--he used this forum to detail his extremely poor experience as a customer. Others have followed up with other experiences, both positive about Tannen's and negative about others. It's true that all business produce both types of experiences, however Michael Albright's is truly painful and one can only sympathize with his frustration.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » August 19th, 2003, 10:49 am

Personally, I've never had issues with Hank Lees (and I order from them on a regular basis). Occasionally, when I've had problems with orders (e.g., getting lost in mail), Hank has always quickly and graciously taken care of the issue.

Just my two cents.

Scott

MaxNY
Favorite Magician: Jeff McBride

Postby MaxNY » August 19th, 2003, 9:29 pm

I regret calling anyone a "Chowder Head", please accept my apologies. Federal Express is certainly a most reliable courier. People should not pass judgements on my past threads, choose a shop that suits your needs best.

Michael Jay

Postby Michael Jay » August 20th, 2003, 6:04 am

We are disappointed that magicians continue to use forums to attempt to destroy reputations of magic shops that are in business to support the industry. This serves no long term purpose and is a vicious circle - eventually every store will run into a problem and become the next target.
Well, if these magic shops are supporting their customers properly, then posts like this don't pop up on forums such as this. The fact of the matter is, whether you choose to believe it or not Mr. Brown, we are intelligent people who can see whether someone is posting for a vendetta or if someone has had such an experience as to be completely unacceptable. In this case, your treatment of this individual was completely unnacceptable. So, understand, these forums are here for us, as magicians, to talk with each other, voice our concerns in the magic business as it pertains to us and give us somewhere that we can turn when everything else has failed.

Judging from your reply, this man has finally found satisfaction by posting in this forum, something that your company was wholly unable to do. To believe that the need to voice an opinion of your shop on forums such as this is wrong is simply overlooking the facts of so many situations in general and this one in particular. Give your customers good service and you'll not see posts the likes of this one on this and other forums. Quit blaming the dissemination of information for your own shortcomings.

As for the destruction of your reputation, well, if you deserve it, then live with it. I've tried to instill into my children that there are consequences for your actions. And, when you deserve the consequences, then live with it, but don't whine when your own actions brought it upon you. While I do fully agree and understand that glitches occur from time to time and believe that it is fully acceptable, I cannot, for the life of me, understand why someone who would call themself a professional would act in such an unprofessional way. Your quote above seems to point out that we should have no right to discuss such things on these forums, or that by discussing these things, we are somehow to blame if your company fails in the economy. No, sir, you make your own reputation.

But, you've had your say and that is probably the end of it. You've told me everything I need to know when you stated:

this will be Tannen's only forum reply. Please contact us at 212-929-4500 for any other questions.
Sounds to me that the reputation which you are trying to avoid is richly deserved.

Mike.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 20th, 2003, 8:35 am

Steve Brown has a very difficult task ahead of him. He has purchased something that reveals new problems to him every day. Boxes and boxes of illegally manufactured rip-offs of tricks are discovered in the storeroom on a regular basis, and he often simply throws them out rather than sell them. I know of very few dealers who would do that.
It is going to take him several years to stabilize the business and find good reliable employees. I don't envy his task.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » August 20th, 2003, 9:04 am

Is Tony S. in one of those boxes he's throwing out? :whack:
Stay tooned.

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » August 20th, 2003, 9:56 am

Tony no longer has any part in Tannen's -- Steve is the sole owner.

-Jim

Postby Guest » August 25th, 2003, 3:05 pm

Hey guys,
While we're on the subject of magic dealers, I will say that I've had some good experiences with Tannen's and some not-so-good experiences. I'm sure that Tannen's new management/staff will succeed in gaining their customer's trust and satisfaction.

With that said, I'd like to take this opportunity to praise some of the magic dealers I've been dealing with lately of whom I have received nothing but EXCELLENT customer service with.

L&L Publishing, Denny & Lee Magic, H&R Magic Books, and Michael Canick's Booksellers. As a magical consumer, I strongly recommend and highly commend them for their commitment to the magic fraternity!

Roberto

Rick Schulz

Postby Rick Schulz » August 26th, 2003, 12:44 pm

I've had nothing but outstanding service from H&R Magic Books, Denny & Lee, L&L Publishing, and Kaufman & Company. If something went wrong which rarely happens, these gentlemen always went the "extra mile" to make things right - no mere "gee, we're sorry". It is lesson in how to create and retain loyal customers, and every business can benefit from it. :D

Postby Guest » August 26th, 2003, 4:27 pm

The last few posts contain the secret for Tannens and that is just like in business and in sports every year the bar goes up. Tannens, in my view, lost sight of that fact about 10 years ago. I wish the new owner all the best but if he can't rainse the bar...considerably, he has made a really bad investment.

Cesar Munoz

Postby Cesar Munoz » November 18th, 2004, 8:49 pm

I had a really positive customer service experience at Tannens tonight. I had signed up for the Darwin Ortiz lecture, but Mr. Ortiz cancelled a couple of days prior to the lecture because he had come down with a case of the flu.

Tannens turned a potentially negative situation-into what I thought was a very positive one-heres how:

They called everyone to let them know what was happening and how they were trying to resolve it.
They found a replacement lecturer-Oz Pearlman-and by the way-he was fantastic!
For everyone that had paid for the Ortiz lecture-they comped the Pearlman lecture.
They gave everyone the option of a refund or two lectures for the price of one.
When we arrived at Tannens for the Pearlman lecture-there was a free magic trick waiting for us on our chairs (a $20 value!).
When Oz was teaching a trick that involved double faced and double backed cards-Steve Brown and his staff ran around finding cards so that everyone in the audience could follow along.

The icing on the cake was that the atmosphere was one of excitement, sharing and learning. It was a great experience.

BTW-according to Ozthis is the first lecture hes ever given. It may sound cornybut because of Tannens-I was able to see Ozs first lecture ever! I think thats kind of cool. Also, according to Jeremy Medows (the producerand a fellow Bronx Science Alumni!), theyve got some great things on the drawing board.

Postby Guest » November 19th, 2004, 5:17 am

Hey Cesar,
Thanks for coming to the lecture. I'm glad you enjoyed it! I had one other lecture last year at Canick's, however it was very, very small, maybe half a dozen people. So Tannen's would technically be my 2nd, however this was the first large, "real" lecture I've ever given. Hopefully the first of many :)

-Oz

David Mitchell

Postby David Mitchell » November 19th, 2004, 8:18 am

Which is why, whenever I can, I always order with my credit card which has buyer's protection as part of the services.

I once ordered a video from a company no longer around, and when it didn't arrive after 1 month, I asked them to send it again, after much 'negotiating' back and forth I simply said that I would be calling my credit card company and placing a complaint with them.

I got my video in 7 days.

I don't mind delays, errors, mistakes or even broken items. But the people I give my money to, better make sure that I get what I am promised in return.

David.
David Mitchell

Postby Guest » November 19th, 2004, 11:39 am

I will do no more business with Tannen's ecspecially with the way they treated David Roth.

Jeremy Medows

Postby Jeremy Medows » November 19th, 2004, 12:41 pm

Tannnen's has been under new ownership management for the last few years. From what I've seen, they've improved alot. I abandoned the old store, and am now back as a loyal customer.

I think that it's only fair that if you comment on your experiences with them, keep in mind that there is new ownership/management.

For full disclosure: As Cesar mentioned, I do produce some of their lectures. These are great events for lecturers and attendees. I am not an employee of Tannen's.

Jeremy Medows

benrl

Postby benrl » November 19th, 2004, 2:49 pm

It's unfortunate that we must continue with the current topic heading. Steve Brown is working hard to turn around the toxic Spina years. I suggest the next positive comments about Tannen's start with a newly named topic.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 19th, 2004, 4:51 pm

Good suggestion, Ben. This topic is locked.

Return to “Buzz”