magic for the troops

Discuss general aspects of Genii.

magic for the troops

Postby Guest » March 13th, 2003, 5:16 pm

Hi I was thinking of this topic today, with the current situation, I was thinking why dont some of the big name magicians like copperfield or blaine go to the mideast and perform for free for troops or people who have never seen magic. I know that copperfield and blaine can both afford it. Blaine and copperfield are all about bring magic into everyday life and touching people emoitionally, I cant think of a better example then this. Sure there might be some potential danger, but if worked out right, it could be avoid. what do you guys think?

Thanks
Amir

Jonathan Townsend

Re: magic for the troops

Postby Jonathan Townsend » March 13th, 2003, 8:15 pm

amir, that might be a great idea. i would be very frighted to spend any time in that area right now. maybe some are braver than i and could afford to travel now.

offering a cultural gift to the peoples of the area might be a nice thing for when the area is a bit less tense.

we might want to clear the material with the local authorities who might not like some things we take for granted like torn-and-restored newspaper, assistants in small/revealing costumes, american money, ... sounds like a research project.

wishes for peace and prosperity to the area.

Jon
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Steve V

Postby Steve V » March 13th, 2003, 8:40 pm

Sand Magic starring David Blaine....I like it.

From what I understand the Spencers are going over and Paul Green said he'd like to. I'll tell you one thing. When I was in Beruit (back when no one cared) Bob Hope and some others came to do a show on the USS Guam and we thought that was cool. Then the Dallas Cheerleaders came to my ship, the USS New Jersey, and we got to whoop and holler at them....it was real nice that they did that and that kind of stuff is appreciated.
Steve V
Steve V

Jonathan Levey

Postby Jonathan Levey » March 14th, 2003, 1:54 pm

I think Copperfield would be very safe performing for troops in Iraq... (as long as they're allied troops)
He'd be performing for the most heavily armed, well-trained, expensive troops in the world. Aswell as having his back covered by the US Army, US Navy, US Airforce...

Return to “General”