Dan Harlan Arrested

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
CraigMitchell

Dan Harlan Arrested

Postby CraigMitchell » March 1st, 2008, 11:47 pm

"FREMONT -- A "magician" who lost both his pants and his teeth during a chase from a register heist early Thursday morning apparently couldn't make the register he stole disappear.

Daniel Dean Harlan, 43, of Santa Monica, Calif., was charged with breaking and entering, vandalism and safe cracking after a 2:20 a.m. incident at Legendz bar on Fifth Street, Fremont police said.

According to Legendz co-owner Misty Lee, Harlan "couldn't open the cash drawer, so he stole the whole thing." The destroyed register contained $241"

CraigMitchell

Re: Dan Harlan Arrested

Postby CraigMitchell » March 1st, 2008, 11:48 pm

Just saw that Arnie Fuoco had already posted this, apologies.

Full Article

brian ovens

Postby brian ovens » March 2nd, 2008, 3:30 am

didnt think harlan was like that, i also heard a famous magician was caught stealing at the stalls of the blackpool convention.

it wasnt a rumour as i a guy i know witnessed it.

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » March 2nd, 2008, 4:21 am

um, yes - I saw the Blackpool incident (or the aftermath, certainly). Not a pleasant thing to watch.

A very bizzarre morning for news.

Take care, Ian

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 2nd, 2008, 7:43 am

Sad about Dan Harlan. The behavior is typical of a certain type of problem.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

castawaydave

Postby castawaydave » March 2nd, 2008, 10:50 am

That is not a flattering story, and the photo is ignominious icing on the cake to say the least.

I am reminded of the old joke about how it was actually the police behind the baggy pants craze, & they encouraged designers to make pants like that exactly because it was way easier to chase-down fleeing-hoodlums...

--And WHEW! --Anyone that's ever smashed their head or face against a brick wall or onto the pavement will tell you, Mr. Harlan feels ill this morning. I do not mean he is illin' as he undoubtedly was, in the club before things got ugly and his pants fell off thereby tripping him, he's actually ill.
Too bad there isn't a little barfing gremlin with a concussion and a mug shot number under him, because he would be perfect right here.

DocDixon

Postby DocDixon » March 2nd, 2008, 11:14 am

Originally posted by Richard Kaufman:
Sad about Dan Harlan. The behavior is typical of a certain type of problem.
Graciously phrased, Mr. Kaufman. I hope things get better for him and all others involved in this incident. Nearly 20 years ago when I used to regularly see Dan at magic conventions he was always one of the nice guys.

DD

John Cox

Postby John Cox » March 2nd, 2008, 11:39 am

Reading the original article, it sounds like a drunken attempt to retrieve some gaffed coins?

Maybe?
Keep it visual

Marco Pusterla

Postby Marco Pusterla » March 2nd, 2008, 11:47 am

Anybody noticed the story was published on Jan. 18? It's now more than a month... what happened to Dan since? Has he been released?
Marco Pusterla - https://mpmagic.co.uk

Ye Olde Magic Mag: magazine on magic history and collecting.

Lisa Cousins

Postby Lisa Cousins » March 2nd, 2008, 12:21 pm

Dan Harlan so strikingly resembles my younger son that when I saw the picture of his face in that condition it made me cry.

John McDonald

Postby John McDonald » March 2nd, 2008, 1:24 pm

Posted on the Cafe by a friend of Dan's

From Dan Harlen
I am taking full responsibility for my actions. We are currently taking legal actions to resolve it. I was so intoxicated that I have no memory of it at all. I have no recollection of what happed that night. Anyone who knows me knows that I was a very hard drinker. I am currently going to AA and in rehab for my drinking. I am getting support for my addiction from my family and friends who truly care about me. I dont deny what I did was dumb and I have a lot to overcome.
Best John

Arnie Fuoco

Postby Arnie Fuoco » March 2nd, 2008, 3:28 pm

He is a talented guy and the few times I met him very friendly. This bad incident may be the straw that puts him back on track--I hope. Would be a shame to lose his talent.
Arnie Fuoco

HenningPaul

Postby HenningPaul » March 3rd, 2008, 4:34 pm

Dan,

I've been there, and you can do it. My prayers are with you daily.

Get the COIN, man! (Sorry, no expanded shells for that one...)

HP

Gord

Postby Gord » March 3rd, 2008, 7:54 pm

I spent some time with Dan a few years ago and found him to be a very nice and giving guy.
I wish him the best.

Gord

Don Stachowiak

Postby Don Stachowiak » March 4th, 2008, 5:35 am

This story haunts me like a ghost from the past. It's been nearly 17 years since I took a drink, but I can vividly remember those futile attempts to reconstruct the events that happened during a blackout.
My best wishes go out to Dan Harlan. I hope he can get past this.
Don

MaxNY
Favorite Magician: Jeff McBride

Postby MaxNY » March 4th, 2008, 5:45 am

Three weeks ago I celebrated ten years clean and sober. Dan, my thoughts are with you. Keep clean, work the program, this life is too short to be addicted to anything.

Damian Odess-Gillett

Postby Damian Odess-Gillett » March 4th, 2008, 5:47 am

I am reminded of the old joke about how it was actually the police behind the baggy pants craze, & they encouraged designers to make pants like that exactly because it was way easier to chase-down fleeing-hoodlums...
As part of some related research I was doing some years ago, I uncovered an interesting tidbit. The baggy pants trend made its way into urban low-income communities from former inmates who, upon returning from lockup continued wearing their trousers as they were used to while in prison. It was common to have uniforms that did not fit snugly around the waist, and after 5, 10 or 20 years, wearing baggy pants became second-nature. Eventually, they even preferred it.

mehtas

Postby mehtas » March 4th, 2008, 2:33 pm

Glad I stay away from alcohol.

Once I had a spoonful of whisky just for fun and got a headache for an hour or so.

Stay away from that thing Dan.

:genii:

Geno Munari

Postby Geno Munari » March 4th, 2008, 3:34 pm

Dan was man enough to take reponsibility for what happened. Lets give him the benefit of the doubt and give him a chance to fix his life.

Brandon Hall

Postby Brandon Hall » March 4th, 2008, 3:37 pm

Well he's getting nothing but support here, Geno
"Hope I Die Before I Get Old"
P. Townshend

castawaydave

Postby castawaydave » March 4th, 2008, 6:40 pm

Substance abuse is brutal and it sucks.

I wish Mr. Harlan the best (magic-wise--as if that's the important thing at this time--he has created far more than I ever will).
It is hard to imagine anyone wishing ill for him.

The incident recounted in the story happened to remind me of an episode of "COPS" or a "News of the Wierd" item. Unfortunately the protagonist in this story was a familiar guy who'd helped a lot of us in one way or another.

People are ultimately forgiving, and I hope Dan realizes he can put this behind him. No doubt everyone on this Forum is rooting for him.

:genii:

Tom Gilbert

Postby Tom Gilbert » March 4th, 2008, 8:03 pm

That was one painful photo. Hope Dan can overcome his demons...

The Magic Apple

Postby The Magic Apple » March 5th, 2008, 11:39 am

This is what was heard by the police offcier jsut before booking him:
Hold It Buster, are you a Crazy Eight or a CardToon that thinks he is invincible. My Word, you must by MindSurfing or must be Missing Think if you think we are going to get away with this. It is a MindBoggling situation you are in Mr Harlan. You better pack small and play big because you are going to jail, please give us your fingerprints with this Shrinky Ink pad. Youll be looking at the Starlces for a long time, sir!
TheMagicApple.com
818-508-9921
Follow us: @The_Magic_Apple

Dave Shepherd

Postby Dave Shepherd » March 5th, 2008, 1:09 pm

Uh...what???

Is that supposed to be funny ha-ha?

Naphtalia

Postby Naphtalia » March 5th, 2008, 7:07 pm

With Dan's permission I'm sharing his official statement.

Although I try to keep my personal life separate from my public life, that is no longer possible. In a way, that's good. I am going through a frightening and challenging time and I know I can't face it alone. Regarding the incident in question, I have no memory of it. I began that evening drinking at a local bar and I ended that evening in jail. The last thing I remember was singing karaoke, doing a little magic and everybody buying drinks for me... then I woke up being rolled into the hospital, bloody, handcuffed to the gurney, surrounded by doctors, nurses, and the police. Then I passed out again.

Imagine yourself in my position. I doubt you can... but if you can, perhaps you'll understand why I've decided to seek help for my alcoholism.
I have officially bottomed-out. I know I have a problem, because this is what it took for me to admit it. I have a lifetime filled with loss and regret. I started drinking when I was 9 years old. I drank heavily throughout Middle and High School, and constantly my first, and only, semester in college. I've nearly killed myself numerous times, I've ruined all my relationships, and I've lost everything good I've ever had. But I never asked for help. Fortunately for everyone I've known, I'm not violent, just stupid. However, I never thought I was capable of something as ridiculous as what happened that night. It frightens me to think of what might happen if I continue to drink myself blind. I'm thankful that no one, except me, was physically injured. I am in the process of recovery and attempting to "put things right."

I have not had any alcohol since then, and I plan to abstain in the future. My lawyer has spoken with the bar owner who is "heartbroken" over the incident and sypathetic. I never intended to cause any harm, but I know that I acted irresponsibly. The court date has not yet been set, and I have no idea what penalty may be imposed. In Ohio, voluntary intoxication is not a defense. I'm sorry it had to come to this before I was able to admit that I have a problem, and that I need help. I know that I have the love, understanding and support of my family and friends.

I'd also like to make one more thing perfectly clear. We have many young magicians just getting into magic due to its current popularity and I don't want any of them to think that my drinking has helped my creativity and success. It has not. In fact, it has kept me from achieving the personal and professional success I had always hoped to have. I have done all of my best work sober. I wish I had been able to enjoy it and build upon it, but I foolishly threw it all away. I'm hoping it's not too late for me to create a personal life which can serve as a good example for everyone.

--Dan Harlan
Naphtalia

Impropriety is the soul of wit.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 5th, 2008, 7:57 pm

Here, here.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

CraigMitchell

Postby CraigMitchell » March 5th, 2008, 10:14 pm

What a terrible place to find yourself ...

I truly believe everyone is only wishing the best for Dan during this horribly difficult time.

The Magic Apple

Postby The Magic Apple » March 5th, 2008, 10:14 pm

Very well put. I hope to see Dan and his incredible ideas and effects out again soon!!
TheMagicApple.com

818-508-9921

Follow us: @The_Magic_Apple

brian ovens

Postby brian ovens » March 6th, 2008, 1:42 am

what a great statement from dan, i hope they see sense in his court case. he still has a long way to go, and this problem will be with him the rest of his life, its how he handles it. anyway, all the best to dan and i hope he's back doing his magic when he's ready.

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » March 6th, 2008, 3:10 am

I think you will find in life that everyone has some kind of demon, physical, mental or emotional.

In the scheme of things some are relatively minor like migraines or wonky knees to major disabilities, schizophrenia and addictions.

Occasionally they get to you at a particular time, like when all the stars are incorrectly lined with your planets, and you throw a major wobbly. A small percentage of these wobblies can have catastrophic repercussions, on ourselves, our careers, our families and our public lives.

Mercifully most happen without the outside world hearing about them, saving us from years of regret and embarrassment.

Dan's career has been built on hard work and creativity and many thousands of magicians use his effects.

But knowing Dan, when he gets himself sorted he can face this demon and build an effect about the event - completely taking the pi**.

Dan, I wish you well in facing your demon, and I know your friends in magic are cheering for you.

Bill McFadden

Postby Bill McFadden » March 6th, 2008, 8:44 am

Originally posted by Naphtalia:
I'm hoping it's not too late for me to create a personal life which can serve as a good example for everyone.

--Dan Harlan
For those of us who've walked the walk and talked the talk, it's never too late. There's always hope!

We find that not only are we NOT the only ones who have felt this way - about ourselves, about others, about drinking/using, about life itself - but also the power of one hopeless drunk helping another.

Recovery is a journey that will bring freedom, discovery, and growth. Don't take my word for it; see the miracles for yourself. There are many in the magic fraternity living lives of productivity, usefulness, and contentment who will gladly tell how what it was like for them; support exists for the asking.

Dan's unbearable suffering could and has happened to millions of us; there but for the grace of gods go I.

We are not bad people trying to become good; we are sick people trying to get well - a day at a time.

If I could get sober, anybody can! I wouldn't have missed the last 19 years - good, bad, indifferent - for anything. Had I kept drinking, though, it would all have been a foregone conclusion.

I expect Dan Harlan will come to believe that life is just beginning, and I fervently wish all its attendant blessings and good fortune!

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » March 6th, 2008, 8:45 am

It's amazing just how far ones "demons" will go to get ones attention.

Much better to find out what they want and how they expect that "what" to be helpful.

Then... one and their "demons" can all be working toward the same goal of a happy and fulfilling life.

Pax
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » March 6th, 2008, 9:30 am

A few weeks ago I had to drive down to my Mother's house to confiscate all the alcohol after my step father's behaviour bacame too much for my mother to take. It was a stressful day, but it had to be done.

He died two weeks later, but for that time my mother got her old husband back, and for her, for that, it was worth it.

I have no concept of what addiction feels like, but I have known people who have battled and won (if you'll excuse the cliche). Hopefully this will be another.

Take care, Ian

naquada

Postby naquada » March 9th, 2008, 4:13 pm

just so you know.. dans talking on the iTricks podcast this week...

http://itricks.com/news/?p=3309

"This is a Magic Week in Review you do not want to miss as Harlan discusses his recent troubles, the new challenges in his life and how he was affected by the reaction of the magic community. Make sure to check it out when it goes up on iTricks early Monday."
Member of The Magic Circle
www.magicconventionguide.com

flynn

Postby flynn » March 15th, 2008, 7:47 pm

Wow! This is my first time hearing about this. I thought he was someone who tours all over making all kinds of cash from shows and lectures.

Silly Walter

Postby Silly Walter » March 16th, 2008, 1:37 pm

Although what Dan did was wrong, at least he didn't get behind the wheel of a car in that condition and take his life or the life of someone else.

I hope Dan gets the help that he needs and I don't see why he wouldn't be back in magic. If he is looking for people on his side, he has plenty of allies in magic.
Silly Walter The Polar Bear

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » March 16th, 2008, 3:03 pm

flynn wrote:Wow! This is my first time hearing about this. I thought he was someone who tours all over making all kinds of cash from shows and lectures.

And you assumed that lots of money and attention make a substance abuse problem go away?

Let's hope that DH comes through this stronger and healthier that befnre.

flynn

Postby flynn » March 21st, 2008, 12:48 am

No, I just thought that he didnt have that problem as sucessful as he is.

CameraOne

Postby CameraOne » March 24th, 2008, 12:18 am

I like Dan Harlan. He is extremely creative. He is also barefaced honest in his statement. He performed the funniest routine I have ever seen. It was your basic signed card trick. But the card was an individually wrapped slice of American cheese. The spectator signed with catsup. Well, that wasn't the really funny part. After successfully finding the signed "card" in the cheesedeck, he proceeds to do an homage to Jeff McBride's card act with the dairy product. One-hand productions, slices-from-mouth, bouncing off the stage. I have seen and filmed many funny acts for L&L, but this as-yet-unreleased bit had by far the most uproarious reaction I ever saw. You didn't even need to know McBride. Sheer bloody genius. I won't go into the enormous array of effect he invented. I always wondered what would happen if he turned his mind to big stage acts. I wish him the best. Look to your successes for you strengths and purpose.

delgadil

Postby delgadil » April 18th, 2008, 11:15 pm

I've met Dan on several occassions and have always found him to be a really nice and generous guy. I wish him the best.

Kevin

Return to “Buzz”