Rene Lavand, the living legend.

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
C. Hampton
Favorite Magician: Tamariz, DaOrtiz, Coperfield

Rene Lavand, the living legend.

Postby C. Hampton » November 1st, 2002, 6:44 am

Dear Friends of Genii,

just a note to let you all know how excited I am, because this weekend I get to see the master Rene Lavand.

For those who are in south FL area he is going to be in Magic on the Beach in Miami along with other big names like Carney, Dimare and a few others. You can't beat a three day convention with those people for 75 bucks. ;)
Carlos Hampton
www.damainquieta.com/conferencias

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Re: Rene Lavand, the living legend.

Postby Matthew Field » November 1st, 2002, 7:40 am

I am almost as excited by the prospect of the Lavand videos just released by Meir Yeded. These were shot by our esteemed editor and have just been edited and completed by Meir. I haven't viewed them as yest, but Click here for info.

Matt Field

Keith Raygor

Postby Keith Raygor » November 3rd, 2002, 8:24 pm

Having just witnessed Rena Lavand's performance at Magic on the Beach this afternoon, I am at a loss to find words to capture his artistry.

I walked in expecting to watch a great magician. Instead I saw, beauty, strength, poetry and the closest to real magic I have ever seen a near a deck of cards. He changed my view of performance.
www.KeithTheMagician.com
www.TheMusicalMindreader.com

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 3rd, 2002, 10:29 pm

Rene Lavand Rocks! It's even more powerful one on one.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » November 4th, 2002, 4:13 am

Seeing Rene Lavand and listening to what he has to say is a once in a lifetime experience. I have had the pleasure of seeing him 3 times and although I will probably not perform his material, I love watching a true artist at work. His style is so natural that you will still be fooled even if you know what he is doing.

Postby Guest » November 4th, 2002, 4:38 am

"Seeing Rene Lavand and listening to what he has to say is a once in a lifetime experience"

You are right
I have a list:
Tamariz
Max Maven
Gery Kurtz
Ted Leslie
Derren Brown
Geller

:cool:

C. Hampton
Favorite Magician: Tamariz, DaOrtiz, Coperfield

Postby C. Hampton » November 4th, 2002, 5:05 am

Mr Keith Raygor,

I have to say that I totally agree. I have several books by the master, and all his repertory in video recordings, I am spanish speaker and got the benefit to enjoy the performance and the poetry full blow.

To this day in my 13 years in magic I have never cry watching a magic performace.
Seeing the performance he presented, to which I am very familiar with, I cry 3 times, and I wasn't the only one.

It was the first time I met Lavand, probably the last time I see him live, but it was a tremendous honor to shake his left hand, to enjoy his performance, and to be fortunate enough to get to chat with him.

Gracias MAESTRO!!!!
Carlos Hampton

www.damainquieta.com/conferencias

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » November 4th, 2002, 8:04 am

My list? Most Memorable Performers...

Well... (and I'll probably forget some)...

Blackstone Sr.
Phoa Yan Tiong
Slydini
Fred Kaps
Persi Diaconis
Dominique Webb (hypnotist)
Edgar Bergen/Senor Wences (tie)
Robert Harbin
Ken Brooke
Carl Ballantine
Dai Vernon
Sultangali Shukurov and Sara Kabagujina (FISM)
(The above Russian act had Flip and I standing in tears at the conlclusion of their act).
John Carney (Mr. Mysto)
Finn Jon
Lennert Green
Steve Valentine
Gazzo
(gotta go, but the above all stand above the pack)
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » November 4th, 2002, 1:49 pm

Originally posted by Pete Biro:
Sultangali Shukurov and Sara Kabagujina (FISM)
(The above Russian act had Flip and I standing in tears at the conlclusion of their act).
Pete, could you describe the act?

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » November 4th, 2002, 4:00 pm

The duo were versed in Ballet... and their stage movements, lighting, music, etc. were much like Cirque du Soleil of today (I have been told by my Russian friends that Cirque du Soleil is somewhat a rip off of Russian circus).

They did what could be called, partly, a SUPER VERSION OF D'LITE... tossing lights from one to the other. Lights appearing and disappearing on their costumes as well.

Dove steals unlike anyone else. :genii: Real Magic.

Think about a ballet dancer jumping in the air, rotating and when you land there is a dove.

I thought about taking this same technique/misdirection and applying it to my roller skating act, but never really wanted to mess with keeping birds.

Their closing was incridible. Each had a smallish, maybe 30x30 inch cloth they showed both sides (but remember the dancing moves--not like Copperfield, but Nureyev) and whisked them forward and at least six doves instantly appeared and flew out over the audience flying back to land on the performer's outstretched arms as they took their bows.

(The method was diabolical and very different)

Standing O -- FISM Grand Prix (tied with Ger Copper that year (Belgium)... but as I wrote in my Genii review, Ger was the golden boy of Henk Vermeyden and "scheduled" to win... he did a bad show that day (nerves???) and the Russians were far and away the clear winners.

I almost had them booked to come over and do IBM (when I was in charge of the shows) but a visa screwup at the last minute (the Iron Curtain was still somewhat up) killed the deal.
Stay tooned.

Keith Raygor

Postby Keith Raygor » November 4th, 2002, 7:29 pm

Pete,
Mr. Mysto was there as well, the night before Mr. Lavand. I'd seen Mr. Mysto on video, but there is no comparison to live. He was dead on with the comedy and timing and magic and being 100% the character. I haven't laughed that hard in a long time.
www.KeithTheMagician.com

www.TheMusicalMindreader.com

Brian Marks

Postby Brian Marks » November 4th, 2002, 7:55 pm

Mr Mysto or any other comedian or type of comedy act is always going to better live. The same goes for just regular magic acts.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » November 4th, 2002, 9:11 pm

Most "regular" magic acts, when watched on video appear about at the right speed when viewed in Fast Forward mode! :eek:
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » November 7th, 2002, 3:33 pm

That's right, Pete; except Rene's!

Return to “Buzz”