Hauntics by Christian Chelman

Discuss your favorite books, authors, and tricks from Kaufman and Company.

Hauntics by Christian Chelman

Postby Guest » March 10th, 2003, 12:49 am

I know I'm not the only one who would love to see this in print. As in, very soon :D

Just a request :)

Re: Hauntics by Christian Chelman

Postby Guest » March 10th, 2003, 6:52 am

FYI:

Hauntics is a book that when combined with Capricornian Tales covers the full range of everything found in the Chelman's French-language 'Lgendes Urbaines'.

As far as I know, Kaufman owns the right to Hauntics, but has not yet published it.

Postby Guest » March 10th, 2003, 10:37 am

Yes, Mr Chelman has stated that Richard Kaufman has purchased the rights to publish an English translation of this book. I am anxiously awaiting this. Richard, any word on when we will see this?

Postby Guest » March 10th, 2003, 11:54 am

Legendes Urbaines (French) is the most advanced book on bizarre magick I've ever read. I don't understand why a book like Hauntics hasn't yet be published. And m.Chelman's Compendium Sortilegionis will be released in a short time. :) At least, I hope so !

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 10th, 2003, 6:41 pm

Christian Chelman's book "Hauntics" was not in what I consider publishable condition when I received the manuscript. The English translations of the tricks, done by several different people, were quite poor. Like most books on bizarre magick, the descriptions were almost an afterthought, with lots of details missing. I have had two people work on editing the manuscript, however the original fifth chapter (and Chelman insists the book must have five chapters) consists entirely of a description of a version of the Hofzinser Spread Cull called the Blitz which has little to do with everything that has come earlier in the book. So, the fifth chapter needed to be replaced. While Chelman sent me the material, it has yet to be translated from French into English.
My work with Genii leaves me little time to deal with this type of work.
I'm sure that the book will eventually be published.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » March 10th, 2003, 10:37 pm

I read and learn the Blitz. It's miles away from the Hofsinzer spread (closer to the spread cull than the Hofzinser) and is far more a complete different system of card magic than a single move. It makes a lot of sense in legendes urbaines because m.Chelman's way to do bizarre magick is not always move free or self working magic. His way to do bizarre is firmly grounded in classical magic and he is an excellent cardman. :)
If you want other opinions about his work, you should consult http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view ... forum=14&2
and also his site (French) at http://www.surnateum.org
A subject for Genii ? :cool:

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 23rd, 2006, 4:29 pm

Hauntiques is out! I received my copy from the publisher in the mail today and Marco Pusterla has done a magnificent job. A big book with lots of color photographs throughout (this accounts for the price). I think every magician who's interested in bizarre magick will want a copy!
Look here:
http://www.hauntiques.com/
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Return to “Kaufman & Company”