Favorite Kaufman Book

Discuss your favorite books, authors, and tricks from Kaufman and Company.
Bob Farmer

Re: Favorite Kaufman Book

Postby Bob Farmer » June 3rd, 2002, 4:53 pm

First, I don't think I could pick my favourite Kaufman book, but certainly Greater Magic, the Hamman book, the Dingle book, the Wilson book, the Jennings books --

As to "Road Hustler" -- that was my idea and Richard went along with it. I'd found the original edition and discovered the writer, Professor Robert Prus, lived about 45 miles from me. So, I called him up and told him his book had quite an underground reputation in the magic community and was very hard to come by.

He became intrigued by this connection and eventually Richard and I ended up having lunch with him and discussing a reprint. He wanted to add a small section on magic, so he talked to us about that, interviewed us and several other magicians.

He wanted to do this because he has a sort of general theory of sociology that he applies to different areas (his other books are on salesman, hookers, rounders and thieves) and wanted see if it work with magic.

Anything in the magic section is his take on what we told him. We had absolutely no idea what he would say, so if we all come off as a bunch of pompous buffoons, I guess that's how we sounded to him.

The first section is a direct reprint of the original edition.

Of course, "Road Hustler" does have the coolest cover in magic history -- by Steranko -- and should be purchased for that reason alone.

Rick Maue

Postby Rick Maue » June 3rd, 2002, 5:27 pm

Greetings,

I own tons of Kaufman books, and although "Collected Almanac", "Jennings 67" and "Complete Works of Derek Dingle" rate among my favorites, I still would have to list "A Magician Among The Spirits" as my top choice.

Since I am known as a bizarrist by some, I guess it is my duty to mention "Spirit Theater", Strange Ceremonies", "Invocation" and "Seance" as well.

In short, thanks to Richard for adding so many wonderful books to my library.

Keep the change,
Rick Maue

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » June 4th, 2002, 6:24 am

Is it worth pointng out I read the first half of Road Hustler four times. I couldn't get into the new stuff...

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 4th, 2002, 5:14 pm

I would agree with Ian that the two halves of Road Hustler don't really mesh. Perhaps that's why it sold so poorly. I only printed 1000 copies and they took YEARS to sell. Of course, they're all gone now :)
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

David Oliver

Postby David Oliver » June 4th, 2002, 9:18 pm

This thread has got me thinking. As with many of the posters here, I too, have had a difficult time narrowing the list down to my one favorite book.

I am always finding new gems in "Secrets of Bro John" as well as "Expert Coin Magic". Time and again, I find myself going back to the Kurtz and Bannon books to try and track down a methodology that I had forgotten. "Card Shark" and "Steel and Silver" each have their own reasons to return to them.

However, if it came down to one book... you know the scene, "if you were stranded on a desert island and could only have one with you..." For me, it would undoubtedly be "The Uncanny Scot". In fact, I WAS stranded with it once. On my first cruise gig years ago, I had been booked for a 3 month run in the Carribean, with no U.S. contact. After packing my ATA cases, my birds and luggage, I unfortunately only had enough room left for ONE magic book. Without hesitation, I packed "The Uncanny Scot". Period. (That was probably one of the BEST decisions I have ever made.)

That being said, I have to add one book to this list that no one else has mentioned (as far as I can tell). It was (and is) enjoyable to read again and again. There's a wealth of interesting and workable material in it. I am never at a loss for material or ideas when I pick it up. And it might surprise some of you. It is "Arcade Dreams" by Racherbaumer and Marlo. It's like a companion book to Martin Gardner's "Encyclopedia of Impromptu Magic." I really enjoy reading it.

Thanks, Jon & Richard! (& Ed, too!)
- DO

David Acer

Postby David Acer » June 6th, 2002, 8:23 am

I go to bed every night with a copy of The Collected Almanac under my pillow. (and Richard, if you would consider putting this out in softcover, I would appreciate it...)
Now tweeting daily from @David_Acer

Postby Guest » June 6th, 2002, 10:51 am

Since it has'nt been mentioned,
I'd like to give a thumbs up to the reprint of Howard Lyon's IBIDEM (which started with Kaufman and is now in the hands of Hermetic press.)

I've returned to IBIDEM #1 as much / or more than any other volume in my library.

It's chock full of wonderful (unique) ideas and great history. Plus, Lyon's writing style is a hoot (and the color inserts of the original covers are simply amazing.)

If you've passed it by, give it a try.

Doug Conn

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » June 6th, 2002, 1:09 pm

The IBIDEM covers are amazing – and you are also correct about the writing style of Lyons. Both volumes are outstanding. And “kudos” to Stephen Minch for maintaining the same style in which RK published the first volume. Other publishers should be so conscientious (I still wonder what L&L was thinking with Card Finesse II. At least they could have made it the same size as the first volume for goodness sake).

I love to read old periodicals. Not so much for the tricks, but for the editorial pieces. The sense of history and (in the case of “modern-past” works) nostalgia they impart is priceless to me.

Dustin

Mallakite

Postby Mallakite » March 14th, 2008, 6:21 pm

Out of the current Kaufman and Co books I have so far I would have to say The Collected Almanac, I always preferred books that contained tricks from a wide range of different magicians, you get much more variety than a one magician book, although those are also excellent, but it's just a preferance of mine.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 14th, 2008, 7:36 pm

Many people tell me, in face to face meetings, that Collected Almanac is a favorite. Lots of good material and I've always tried to keep the price down. You can see that with my current reprints: the pre-pub prices are what you would have paid for the book 10 years ago.
The new Jennings book will be more expensive, though, because of its size and the 1500 photographs. Have to use more expensive and heavier paper because of the photos, which raises the price of both printing the book and shipping it.

Ricky Difeo

Postby Ricky Difeo » March 28th, 2008, 12:25 pm

Hi!

I think what all are excelent book and excelent material.-

I like in particular The Collected Work of Derek Dingle , and The Secret of de Brother Hamman.-

I think what I have the entire colection of the books of Kaufman (including the grand MATHAMA and STANYON Slip Case, and the little Interlocked Production).-
Why? because they are very clear drawing (thin that I am argetinian, and read so so the english and write english as TARZAN). I can read with the drawings Richard Kaufman.-
I read another books (lot) and I cant say the same.-

Thank Richard.-

I am waiting for the Larry Jennings Books.- :)

Ricardo Difeo
Buenos Aires - Argentina

DrDanny

Postby DrDanny » March 28th, 2008, 2:29 pm

I'll add my $0.02 (and offer change).
_The Collected Almanac_ is one of the best magic books of all times. I'd say that even if I still had the complete original run: I love the newly added history section. Cheap at twice the price I'd say.
I'm also really fond of Racherbaumer's _Greater Arful Dodges of Eddie Fields_ as well, but that's not really a "Kaufman" book in the same sense of most of the others, is it?

James Nelson

Postby James Nelson » March 28th, 2008, 2:29 pm

Arcade Dreams...
The Greater Artful Dodges of Eddie Fields...
Effortless Card Magic...

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 28th, 2008, 4:16 pm

As Harry Lorayne says, his favorite book is always the one he's writing at that moment. :)

DrDanny

Postby DrDanny » March 28th, 2008, 4:25 pm

If that means MJTIE, get back to work then! ;-)

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 28th, 2008, 8:00 pm

I wrote up another trick last night.

castawaydave

Postby castawaydave » March 28th, 2008, 10:58 pm

It is a tribute to Richard that it really IS difficult to pick just one favorite from among his books. So much of his work has inspired and influenced me for over 25 years--and still more to come! Thank you, Sir.

1. "The Collected Almanac" (extra material makes this book great, but still not as great as getting the newsletters one by one in the mail, all those years ago...)
2. "100% Sankey" (more clever material than one might imagine could fit in a book that size...)
3. "Lifesavers" (more clever material than one might imagine could fit in a book that size--heh heh...)
4. "Derek Dingle's Complete Works" (I especially like my copy, inscribed to me by Mr. Dingle; R.I.P.)
5. "Coinmagic" (--three syllables: "Cop-Sil-Brass")
6. "Cardshark" (--five syllables: "Psychotronic Card")

P.S. Am I the only one that liked the 2nd part of "Road Hustler"?

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » March 29th, 2008, 4:20 am

Quote: P.S. Am I the only one that liked the 2nd part of "Road Hustler"?

Yep, 'twould appear so...

Take care, Ian

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 29th, 2008, 9:55 am

I liked it.

DomC

Postby DomC » April 22nd, 2008, 9:25 am

"Jennings '67" and "Effortless Card Magic".
DomC.
Minds are like parachutes...they work best when opened.
Exitus acta probat.

amp

Postby amp » April 22nd, 2008, 10:07 am

Mullica !

Kent Gunn

Postby Kent Gunn » June 25th, 2008, 1:22 am

I carried a copy of Coin Magic to sea on a submarine over a twenty year career. Bobo's work was seminal, it defined coin magic for decades. BUT . . . I never did a coin trick for laymen until Coin Magic was published.

High Flying Winged Silver, with the edge grip stuff remains in my performing bag, to this day. The drawings transcended anything I'd EVER seen in a magic book. This, as far as I knew, was the real work on coin magic.

It isn't my favorite Kaufman book. It's my favorite magic book, period. It redefined coin magic and I found it when I really needed it!

I am never this nice. I have three soft spots though, CUCM, Stars of Magic and Coin Magic. Thanks for writing CM, Ricardo!

Peo Olsson

Postby Peo Olsson » July 14th, 2008, 4:25 am

I truley enjoy all of Kaufman's books. The bad one as well as the good ones.

Among my favourites are "Complete Works of Derek Dingle", "Secrets of Brother John Hamman" and "The Collected Almanac".

But if I have to pick just ONE book it has to be "Greater Magic".
What a treasure this book is and what a wealth of magic!

Peo Olsson

Cugel

Postby Cugel » July 14th, 2008, 6:14 pm

The Mullica and the Draun book are my favourite amongst those authored by RK. I also like the Almanac.

Marc Rehula

Postby Marc Rehula » July 15th, 2008, 1:42 pm

I'd say Secrets Draun From Underground.

The material is excellent, and Kaufman's descriptions are very clear. So clear that I know EXACTLY why . . . I'll probably never be good enough to perform the material.

Think I'll hold off on the Dingle book for awhile.

CHRIS

Postby CHRIS » July 24th, 2008, 7:51 pm

Out of Control by Chris Kenner

jason156
Favorite Magician: Bro. John Hamman, Simon Aronson, David Regal

Postby jason156 » August 17th, 2008, 10:57 am

Richard, perhaps "Gaffed To The Hilt" has hasn't been mentioned much because so few had the opportunity to buy it. Yes, I know it was reprinted but I'm not good at making gaffs. I tried to make one of them and ended up gluing two of my fingers together...:)

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 17th, 2008, 4:10 pm

While Gaffed to the Hilt was my idea, and I helped to chose the tricks, and edited author Racherbaumer's writing, illustrated it, and so on, the kudos should really go to Don England--the concept, gimmicks, and other frills really mean little if the material isn't up to it. Don England is a genius in the conception, construction, and utilization of gimmicked cards. That's why Gaffed to the Hilt remains an excellent and vital work.

Roberto

Postby Roberto » March 30th, 2009, 11:39 pm

Just saw this thread and had to jump in, lol.

For me, the Collected Almanac is my all time favorite book, hands down! This book should easily be sold for $100 minimum. The Mullica book was also a beaut.

Roberto

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 31st, 2009, 12:44 am

Okay, I'm raising the price of The Collected Alamanc to $100 tomorrow!

Evan Shuster

Postby Evan Shuster » March 31st, 2009, 12:53 am

Richard,
Any plans to reprint Gaffed to the Hilt?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 31st, 2009, 8:42 am

Doesn't seem to be enough interest. Are copies selling at inflated prices?

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » March 31st, 2009, 9:09 am

Don England is currently offering some nice items made from poker chips. Check his line out at www.donengland.com .

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » March 31st, 2009, 9:23 am

Richard Kaufman wrote:Doesn't seem to be enough interest. Are copies selling at inflated prices?

I have not seen a copy of that notebook with red pages and stuck on envelopes with gaffs around at all.

magicalt

Postby magicalt » March 31st, 2009, 10:08 am

One went on ebay last year for about 700.00 with the gaffs. The regular copies when they do come up avg. 100.00

Return to “Kaufman & Company”