DeLand

Discuss your favorite books, authors, and tricks from Kaufman and Company.
Tom Frame
Favorite Magician: Del Ray

Re: DeLand

Postby Tom Frame » December 27th, 2018, 1:54 pm

Richard,

Sorry to hear about the mistake in the list. I know all too well that, despite our best efforts, some errors elude us.

For the benefit of all happy purchasers of this terrific tome, please post an accurate list of the gaffs provided for each effect.

I received two of the Automatic Trick Cards decks. One with which to play and one to resell on the secondary market 10 years from now for an obscene fee. I wasn't aware that Chris Aguilar printed this amazing deck. Chris, the deck looks great! The detail on the backs and edges is exquisite. Bravo sir!

Joe Naud
Favorite Magician: Vernon, Tamariz, Carney, DaOrtiz, Mac King

Postby Joe Naud » December 27th, 2018, 3:04 pm

Richard, Would an erratum be appropriate? I’m not sure it that’s entirely necessary but I thought I would ask.

Peace, Joe

Ps. Still waiting in CA for delivery. Hopeful today may be the day. :)

Joe Mckay
Favorite Magician: Lubor Fiedler

Postby Joe Mckay » December 27th, 2018, 4:02 pm

I am loving the book so far.

I just finished reading about DeLand's Fade Away Card Trick. This is the super sneaky gaff that has a palm printed on the back of it.

My favourite use for this gaff is an ingenious mentalism trick by Christopher Carey.

It was published in Ian Rowland's Loving Mentalism column.

Check out page 66 of the May 2015 issue of MAGIC magazine.

Evan Shuster

Postby Evan Shuster » December 27th, 2018, 6:18 pm

It's a happy day in Seattle!

Just read the foreword and introduction. On to part one... :)

Appreciate the extras! Nice touch.

Joe Naud
Favorite Magician: Vernon, Tamariz, Carney, DaOrtiz, Mac King

Postby Joe Naud » December 27th, 2018, 9:52 pm

Alas still nothing in CA. :cry:

Joe

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » December 27th, 2018, 11:28 pm

Tom Frame wrote:I received two of the Automatic Trick Cards decks. One with which to play and one to resell on the secondary market 10 years from now for an obscene fee. I wasn't aware that Chris Aguilar printed this amazing deck. Chris, the deck looks great! The detail on the backs and edges is exquisite. Bravo sir!

Thanks! I'm really happy with the way it turned out. It all came together in about two and a half weeks of my spare time.

Composing the deck (using this free program) turned out to be much more complex than I originally envisioned (over 3000 unique marks!) but with a lot of sage advice from Richard (needed because no actual deck ever existed, just the sometimes confusing Deland instruction manual) and a stellar audit of the fifty two unique backs by Dustin Stinnet, I think we ended up with something that really honors Deland.

And, while I might be a tad(!) biased, it's just a lot of fun to play around with.

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » December 27th, 2018, 11:36 pm

Joe Mckay wrote:I am loving the book so far.

I just finished reading about DeLand's Fade Away Card Trick. This is the super sneaky gaff that has a palm printed on the back of it.

My favourite use for this gaff is an ingenious mentalism trick by Christopher Carey.

It was published in Ian Rowland's Loving Mentalism column.

Check out page 66 of the May 2015 issue of MAGIC magazine.

John Guastaferro also uses the same gaff in a variant of "Open Travellers" (In his One Degree book)

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 28th, 2018, 5:57 pm

The Automatic Trick Cards is a fascinating deck.

Once you use it for a week or so, you will begin to see numbers and no longer see the symbols.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Tom Frame

Postby Tom Frame » December 29th, 2018, 2:15 pm

Not to be a contrarian, but the Mystery and Madness deck also lacks the gaffs for "Contrario."

While enjoying the hell out of this terrific tome, I'm inserting the appropriate gaffs on the page in the book that describes the effect that requires those gaffs. I'll eventually figure out what gaffs are missing and/or what gaffs are included and not noted. I'll inform you of the results unless Richard scoops me by posting the actual composition of the deck.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 29th, 2018, 2:30 pm

There are several tricks that use exactly the same gimmicked cards, so I listed those tricks. For example, DeLand's "Cinch Card Trick" uses the same four double-ended cards as one of Will Edward's tricks. I may have mixed up "Contrario" and "Canadian Wonder."

Ditto for "Nox-Em-All" and "DeLand's Ace Trick." But I think I forgot that the two Aces must have two different Sevens on the backs (or the guy who made up the deck for me made an error).

Tom Frame

Postby Tom Frame » December 29th, 2018, 4:42 pm

Richard,

No, the gaffs should have the same Seven on one face and different Aces on the other faces. Have you read your wonderful book?

Joe Mckay

Postby Joe Mckay » December 29th, 2018, 10:37 pm

Methods for splitting dollar bills is mentioned in the DeLand book. As it pertains to counterfeiting currency.

Well - Blake Vogt has some interesting work in this area.

https://blake-vogt.myshopify.com/collections/frontpage/products/split-sessions-v3-bill-split

Andres Reynoso

Postby Andres Reynoso » January 6th, 2019, 12:08 pm

I am posting this late. I'm sorry.
I received the book on December 20th in Mexico City, just in time for Chrstmas, the box remained on the tree until 25th morning.
The package, the cushion material, the inner box, the slipcase, the book, the deck ... all are gorgeus. Very fine book, a lot of interesting material and pictures, great quantity and quaity of old photos and republished booklets.
My family agreed is not a cheap book (in regular terms) but it is worth the price and considering is Richard's work for last 15 years about a man who lived 100 years ago we cannot put a price on it. How you put a price to 15 years of work?
One more time thank you and kudos to Richard for this fine books.
Andres Reynoso

traceyherbert

Postby traceyherbert » February 5th, 2019, 1:57 pm

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this but....

Referencing the gimmicked card included in an issue Genii.

Anyone know how to get rid of the stain from the glue?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 5th, 2019, 3:48 pm

No.
The printer had a new machine for tipping in this type of thing, and we had not used it before. I was surprised at the stain on the card, but there's nothing to do about it.
Sorry.
You can still obviously play with the trick for your own edification, but the stain means it cannot be performed for a laymen.

The same card (actually a better version of it) is included with the Mystery and Madness Deck that comes with my DeLand book.

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » February 6th, 2019, 11:26 am

I was playing around with the Phantom gaff, and I found that the fake edges are too dark. So I made my own, but I set the fake edges as 50% gray. This looks much better to my eyes.

If you have a color printer and minimal proficiency with any graphics program (I used Illustrator), this is not hard. Free EPS files of playing card faces are easy to find online. You can easily choose any cards you like.

What I did for the Phantom was print the four-face gaff and glue it onto the back of a regular card. Add a double-facer and you are good to go. I haven't gotten too far into the book, but I'm pretty sure I could recreate most of the gaffs in a similar fashion.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 6th, 2019, 11:46 am

Pete, you may think they are too dark, but in fact they're not. I've been doing the trick (and its other variations) since having the cards printed. There's never any issue with those lines.

Others have felt they could improve on DeLand by using gray lines (in the Harry Blackstone Jr. deck), or no lines at all (Josh Jay's Overlap Gimmick cards).

The truth, I believe, is that ALL of these work. The illusion is created by the cards themselves, not by the edges.

I.M. Magician
Favorite Magician: All of the very best!

Postby I.M. Magician » February 6th, 2019, 12:36 pm

I also feel that the lines are too dark and don’t understand why they weren’t printed with the same light gray edges used for the card that came with the December issue for the Eureka Card Trick. That card was perfect!

Please keep in mind that just because your spectators don’t say anything about the cards doesn’t mean that they didn’t notice anything suspicious. Perhaps they don’t want to be rude, are just plain shy, or feel that it would be inappropriate to point it out to the performer. In essence, it’s possible that they are just being polite. So, unless you actually ask them for feedback which you typically would not do, there is no way you know if you fooled them or not.

Try performing the Phantom Card Trick for a group of outspoken teenagers and then see what happens.

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » February 6th, 2019, 12:55 pm

I have held the original gaff and my 50% gray version next to an actual spread of cards. The lighting of the real spread matters a lot in terms of how dark (and how thick) the edges look, but the 50% looked noticeably better in every lighting condition I could find.

Of course, that doesn't mean the original is not usable. But it was so easy for me to make my version that if it's better, it's worth it.

Of course the real proof is trying it out. I will show some of my 7th graders and see what happens. Keep in mind that younger people are not just more honest but generally have better eyesight as well.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 6th, 2019, 1:10 pm

I.M. Magician wrote:Try performing the Phantom Card Trick for a group of outspoken teenagers and then see what happens.

I have no desire to perform anything for a group of outspoken teenagers!

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » February 6th, 2019, 1:12 pm

Pete McCabe wrote:What I did for the Phantom was print the four-face gaff and glue it onto the back of a regular card. Add a double-facer and you are good to go. I haven't gotten too far into the book, but I'm pretty sure I could recreate most of the gaffs in a similar fashion.

If you are willing to do the arts-and-crafts version, the best would probably be to split the four faces from normal cards (with the face being the thin side), and glue them onto the back of a regular card.

I.M. Magician
Favorite Magician: All of the very best!

Postby I.M. Magician » February 6th, 2019, 2:17 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:
I.M. Magician wrote:Try performing the Phantom Card Trick for a group of outspoken teenagers and then see what happens.

I have no desire to perform anything for a group of outspoken teenagers!

:D

Sean Piper

Postby Sean Piper » February 9th, 2019, 6:02 pm

Enjoying my copy very much, although it's quite an arm workout holding it up :)

I notice Penguin are now selling this. Is it likely to filter out to a wider dealer network in the near future?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 9th, 2019, 10:29 pm

That is not my expectations.

Richard Leach
Favorite Magician: Doug Henning

Postby Richard Leach » February 10th, 2019, 11:08 pm

Hi,
I have been enjoying "DeLand Mystery And Madness", but I have a question about The Perfection Changing Card that was included in the Mystery And Madness Deck. On the back of the overlay card it says to copy the other side onto clear acetate. Where do I look for a sheet of clear acetate that can be copied on, and what type of copier ink will I need that will adhere to acetate. I saw the video of this card on your Facebook page, and it is awesome. Thank you very much for having these cards reproduced so we can enjoy them. :)
Richard Leach

Joe Mckay

Postby Joe Mckay » February 11th, 2019, 6:52 am

Here is the video of Richard Kaufman demonstrating The Perfection Changing Card by Theodore Deland.

It is something he uploaded to Facebook a couple of months ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6pQeRXZsCA

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » February 11th, 2019, 10:00 am

Changing card - December 11, 2018. :)
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

PapaG

Postby PapaG » February 11th, 2019, 10:04 am

Joe Mckay wrote:Here is the video of Richard Kaufman demonstrating The Perfection Changing Card by Theodore Deland.

It is something he uploaded to Facebook a couple of months ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6pQeRXZsCA

'This video is unavailable'

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 11th, 2019, 12:21 pm

I never put the video on Facebook, just directly on YouTube.

My Facebook feed is public. If you're interested in seeing the card in action, just go here and scroll down until you find it (it was a while ago).
https://www.facebook.com/richard.kaufman

Regarding copying the overlay: go to a copy shop and have a photocopy made onto acetate. Simple.

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » February 11th, 2019, 3:31 pm

Richard Leach wrote:Where do I look for a sheet of clear acetate that can be copied on, and what type of copier ink will I need that will adhere to acetate.

Go to Amazon and search for "overhead transparency sheets for laser printers," or go to any office supply store and ask for the same.

Richard Leach

Postby Richard Leach » February 13th, 2019, 11:35 pm

Hi,
If any of you are still looking for the Deluxe Edition of "Theodore DeLand Mystery And Madness", there is one with decks on eBay for $300.00 plus postage. :)

Richard Leach

Re: DeLand Wonder Deck

Postby Richard Leach » March 24th, 2019, 11:54 pm

Hi,
Do you still have the DeLand Wonder Decks for sale, and where can I get one ?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 25th, 2019, 2:30 pm

Buy the book "DeLand: Mystery and Madness" (at http://www.richardkaufman.com), which includes 1 Mystery and Madness Deck, and then you may partake of the following:

• We are offering a special Deck Set. This includes all four decks plus uncut sheets from all four, signed, numbered, and ltd to 100. There are only 30 of these remaining. The cost is $145, plus postage ($25 in the US; $45 to Canada; $70 to Europe; $90 everywhere else). The facsimile of the 1914 Dollar Deck is only available in the Deluxe Edition (sold out) and the Deck Set.

I have about 10 Deck Sets Left.

• The Wonder Deck, The Automatic Trick Cards, and The Mystery and Madness Deck are available for $20 each, plus (in the U.S.) $3 postage for one deck, $4 for two, and $5 postage for three. Postage to Canada is $10 for one or two decks, $16 for three. Postage to Europe is $14 for one deck, $24 for two or three. Postage to Asia and elsewhere is $15 for one or two decks, $24 for three.

• Bricks (a boxed dozen) of The Wonder Deck and The Automatic Trick Cards are available for $200 (2 decks free) and $15 shipping in the US (for up to 3 bricks). Postage for one brick outside the US: $26 to Canada; $36 to Europe and Asia. Postage for two bricks $69 worldwide.

The instructions for the cards contained in the Mystery and Madness Deck, and The Automatic Trick Cards are in the book.

• Make all payments by PayPal (along with your street address) to moobooks@verizon.net and please be certain to state what you are buying.

AJM

Postby AJM » March 25th, 2019, 2:40 pm

Richard

When are the Deck Sets due to ship?

Regards

Andrew

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 25th, 2019, 4:03 pm

Domestic Deck Sets went last week. Foreign should mail late this week or next.

AJM

Postby AJM » March 25th, 2019, 4:34 pm

Thanks Richard.

Andrew

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » April 2nd, 2019, 1:00 am

Officer Bill Gannon teaches Sgt. Joe Friday about a Deland gaff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIJLZGIO3c0

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 2nd, 2019, 2:46 pm

Omigod! That really is a DeLand Duplex Changing Card. My jaw dropped.

Andres Reynoso

Postby Andres Reynoso » April 4th, 2019, 7:19 pm

I was notified a tube arrived by mail, it can just be the uncut sheets. (and a a magazine arrived too)

I will have some magic to play with on weekend
Andres Reynoso

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 4th, 2019, 8:17 pm

The tube contains the four uncut sheets and four decks. Glad to hear you received it.

Return to “Kaufman & Company”