New Book Coming on the Card Magic of David Berglas

Discuss your favorite books, authors, and tricks from Kaufman and Company.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: New Book Coming on the Card Magic of David Berglas

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 11th, 2011, 9:08 pm

I have spent the day answering dozens of questions from people just like yours (that doesn't mean I'm ignoring you). I tell them all the same thing. I'm sure you've seen it earlier in this thread: please be patient, your book has been mailed.

Lots of people still haven't received their books.

There are too many people who have still not received their books in order for me to start mailing out replacement copies.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Wisdom Kim

Postby Wisdom Kim » July 12th, 2011, 12:42 am

Jeremie wrote:Richard : Thanks for ignoring me and +1 the other comment from Yiyong... Great Great consumer service ( you have my money i don't have my book, i need a little more respect than that ). I'm sorry i'll continue to complain if the wait is still going, it's my buyer rights. I know there was "shipping problem" but is it enough to ask me to not be concerned how it wasn't fixed after 45 days ? No. My money, my concern.

Moi aussi. I haven't recieved my copy yet. I paid for this book based on the priority mail not this 45-day-long shipment. I think it's resonable to claim a bit of refun from Richard Kaufman. But I know how Mr.Kaufman will react to my claim,
I decided to "shut-up and just wait" just like Mr.Kaufman advises. I'm truly disappointed but I think we should wait
until the book arrives. Bon journee!

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 12th, 2011, 1:40 am

Wisdom Kim, did you order a regular or deluxe edition? Living in Korea, either way it will take longer to reach you than in many other places.

friboudi

Postby friboudi » July 12th, 2011, 3:51 am

Jeremie and Wisdom Kim are the new french overflow ;)

Anyway, I am deeply plunged into the book, and it is a great reading, thanks again Richard :)

I was wondering something, do you think DB card magic is made and constructed to be looked at as a spectator or is its impact only stronger when you are on the stage with him and when he does his miracles directly to you (easier misdirection)?

Cheers

Wisdom Kim

Postby Wisdom Kim » July 12th, 2011, 5:17 am

I ordered regular edition and someone lives near here in Korea received his copy 2 weeks ago. I'm going to wait until the end of July. I know you would be the one who is under stress the most about this situation. So many people complaining about this problem again and again and again.... I'm sorry for the rough phrase "shut-up and...." Just keep in mind that I'm also the one grateful for you. Thank you for this wonderful book. I'm sure it'll worth the wating. :)

friboudi : I'm sorry, but I'm Korean. You can blame me being quite annoying. However, I'm one of the people who were truly annoyed by Martin Le*** at magic cafe. But please consider our situation... We haven't recieved the book you are reading now yet... so sad. Since you are the one who owned the book, you'd know how wonderful it is. I want to feel that wonder and dive into the book like crazy @_@ Have a nice day!

sam1996

Postby sam1996 » July 12th, 2011, 5:46 am

Richard,

Today received Deluxe edition in Sydney, Australia. Thanks.

friboudi

Postby friboudi » July 12th, 2011, 6:57 am

Lu Chen performs his ACAAN here (last week at EMC), in front of David berglas himself: http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMjgzOTIzMTEy.html

Enjoy!

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 12th, 2011, 11:45 am

friboudi wrote: "I was wondering something, do you think DB card magic is made and constructed to be looked at as a spectator or is its impact only stronger when you are on the stage with him and when he does his miracles directly to you (easier misdirection)?"

It doesn't matter whether you work close-up, parlor, stage, and it doesn't matter whether you're the person on stage or in the audience. The effect is the same.

Shaun

Postby Shaun » July 12th, 2011, 6:58 pm

Deluxe edition also arrived in Sydney!!

Thanks Richard and David.

John Bowden
Location: Main Street, Urlingford, Co. Kilkenny, Ireland, E41 Y9K2.

Postby John Bowden » July 13th, 2011, 3:51 am

Deluxe Edition has made it's way across the Atlantic Ocean to the Emerald Isle of Ireland where it has found a place of honour in a loving home.
What can one say about such an Opus Magnum?........... only "Well done, Richard Kaufman" in producing this work and a really big "THANK YOU" to David Berglas for allowing us to share in his genius.
The future owes you both a debt of gratitude.

Cheers from Ireland,
John Bowden.

Jeremie

Postby Jeremie » July 13th, 2011, 8:43 am

Richard, of course you say to everyone the same thing " be patient", but you have to understand that it's not an answer that satisfy any customer in any kind of business, even more if the customer have pre ordered ( give you trust and money ) and paid for premium/standard shipping. "We" the customers have the full rights to ask you anything about our bought item, because we have already paid and we ve fullfilled our part of the "buying" contract. I won't ask you refund. But i m pretty sure and i hope, that if "we" don't have the book before july end, you' ll be kind to offer us something different than "be patient".

Once again, i don't doubt that the book is awesome, and that i'll enjoy every word of it... When i'll recieve it.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » July 13th, 2011, 9:35 am

I really think it's RK who has been very patient while being repeatedly flogged by a few relentless individuals who insist on airing their angst publically and then ask for some sort of compensation if an artificial deadline isn't met. (All this for the delays inherent in the postal service and a printer error which RK has no control over. See this post: http://www.geniimagazine.com/forums/ubb ... Post247353 )

Bottom line: unforseen delays in the delivery of new product occur all the time, even with Fortune 500 companies. Since magic is a cottage industry, it is not surprising that these things happen now and again, and I think it behooves us to ratchet down the rehetoric a bit and show a little grace. While I understand the frustration (and I'll bet RK is just as frustrated as anyone), this isn't about rights, it's about common courtesy and mutual respect.

Based on his stellar track record, I'm sure if a book truly gets lost, RK will make it right.

Oli Foster

Postby Oli Foster » July 13th, 2011, 2:25 pm

Yeah, I was gripped by this thread in its early days but private complaints about postage etc are getting abit boring now. Nice clip of Lu Chen and amusing to seemingly homoeroticise ACAAN - now there's some originality! :) What do we think about the roses - maybe a prompt or two accompanying the, perhaps careful, wording about 'no rehearsals?' Very nicely done either way...

Yiyong

Postby Yiyong » July 13th, 2011, 3:41 pm

Jeremie wrote:Richard, of course you say to everyone the same thing " be patient", but you have to understand that it's not an answer that satisfy any customer in any kind of business, even more if the customer have pre ordered ( give you trust and money ) and paid for premium/standard shipping. "We" the customers have the full rights to ask you anything about our bought item, because we have already paid and we ve fullfilled our part of the "buying" contract. I won't ask you refund. But i m pretty sure and i hope, that if "we" don't have the book before july end, you' ll be kind to offer us something different than "be patient".

Once again, i don't doubt that the book is awesome, and that i'll enjoy every word of it... When i'll recieve it.

Franchement mon pote, tu exageres! Ce n'est pas la faute a Richard. Oui, il est un magicinen, mais il ne peut pas faire de miracles. Alors, on respire un bon coup et on expire. C'est ca, continue comme cela. Et par la grace de Dieu, arrete de nous les casser.

El Harvey Oswald

Postby El Harvey Oswald » July 13th, 2011, 6:56 pm

i receive the Subtle Scam right away and preform right away though sometime lose count to 52. no recieve Berglas book and sometime preformer TOUCH DECK. demand replace. customer service very very very importante. why i be ignore? +1

Philippe Billot

Postby Philippe Billot » July 14th, 2011, 4:27 am

Yiyong wrote:
Jeremie wrote:Richard, of course you say to everyone the same thing " be patient", but you have to understand that it's not an answer that satisfy any customer in any kind of business, even more if the customer have pre ordered ( give you trust and money ) and paid for premium/standard shipping. "We" the customers have the full rights to ask you anything about our bought item, because we have already paid and we ve fullfilled our part of the "buying" contract. I won't ask you refund. But i m pretty sure and i hope, that if "we" don't have the book before july end, you' ll be kind to offer us something different than "be patient".

Franchement mon pote, tu exageres! Ce n'est pas la faute a Richard. Oui, il est un magicinen, mais il ne peut pas faire de miracles. Alors, on respire un bon coup et on expire. C'est ca, continue comme cela. Et par la grace de Dieu, arrete de nous les casser.

J'ai l'impression que vous ne comprenez pas vraiment le franais. Richard vous a crit qu'il n'tait pas votre "pote". Alors, arrtez vos interventions plus que douteuses ou si vous prfrez "STOP IT NOW!".
Inutile de me rpondre, ce sera ma seule intervention.

Dr. O.

Postby Dr. O. » July 14th, 2011, 6:19 am

Regular edition received at the end of june and Deluxe edition received in Palaiseau France on Monday. Both in perfect conditions. I Already protected them with a brodart cover...

Many Thanks

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » July 14th, 2011, 3:25 pm

Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 14th, 2011, 4:32 pm

I would appreciate if all posts are made in English so we can moderate them properly! Thanks.

Smurf

Postby Smurf » July 14th, 2011, 5:43 pm

"I would appreciate if all posts are made in English so we can moderate them properly! Thanks."

And the US beat Fance in the Women's World Cup so out of respect you ought to use English.

Thanks to mrgoat's inspiration, I shall close with - "Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!"

Oli Foster

Postby Oli Foster » July 14th, 2011, 6:01 pm

Crikey, get a load of blokes talking about card tricks for long enough and the conversation will inevitably turn to french smut! :)

John M. Dale

Postby John M. Dale » July 14th, 2011, 9:07 pm

mrgoat wrote:Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.

Stop copying me Goat! http://www.geniimagazine.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=36365&Number=248217#Post248217

(I always pride myself with my originality in dealing with the french race.) :cool:

JMD
Last edited by John M. Dale on July 14th, 2011, 9:10 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: Added snark.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 14th, 2011, 9:13 pm

Holy Christmas, do I have to lock this thread on my own Forum? If you have something to discuss about the details of the new David Berglas book, please do so. Otherwise, let's eliminate the superficial remarks and get the damn thread back on topic!

John M. Dale

Postby John M. Dale » July 14th, 2011, 10:02 pm

Most humble apologies, my liege. I will attempt to hold my tongue.

The Berglas book is a beautiful work and will keep me busy for the foreseeable future absorbing and applying the knowledge therein. Accept my profound thanks for making this opportunity possible.

JMD

PickaCard

Postby PickaCard » July 20th, 2011, 10:59 pm

Hello Richard,

I am working my way through your book and I was wondering if David was a "left handed" magician.

I ask, because in your explanation of The Reverse Drag Fan and The Berglas Push Fan he holds the fanned deck in the right hand.

I am right handed, and unless I learned it the wrong way, I have always held the fanned cards in my left hand and used my right to fan them with my thumb or spring them into the left (for a spring fan).

My question boils down to: Does it matter which hand I learn these sleights in? Should I stick to what is consistent with how I learned to handle cards or do you recommend I follow your instructions precisely as written?

Thank you.

John M. Dale

Postby John M. Dale » July 20th, 2011, 11:15 pm

I don't know if Mr. Berglas is a southpaw, but if you do the fans in your left hand they will be reverse fans that don't show the indices (unless your using a left-handed deck or one with indices on all four corners. I might be a little difficult for a spec to choose one if he can't see the indices. ;)

JMD
Last edited by John M. Dale on July 20th, 2011, 11:16 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: Spelling

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 20th, 2011, 11:20 pm

A left-handed person could make a Reverse Pressure Fan, face up, in the right hand.

Oddly, David considers the way he makes the Push Fan to be that of a left-handed person.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 20th, 2011, 11:22 pm

I should add that I learned to fan cards both ways as a kid: in the right hand and in the left hand, both facing myself or toward the audience. However I can only make a pressure fan when holding the deck with my right hand (the left hand ends up holding the fan), and I can only make a blank drag fan with my left hand (the right hand ends up holding the fan).

I learned to make David's Push Fan with a few months of work, but fanning powder on the cards (as recommended in the book) makes it much much MUCH easier.

Yiyong

Postby Yiyong » July 21st, 2011, 3:40 pm

friboudi wrote:Lu Chen performs his ACAAN here (last week at EMC), in front of David berglas himself: http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMjgzOTIzMTEy.html

Enjoy!

There is something disturbing about Lu Chen performing the Berglas Effect in front of Berglas. Imagine how Berglas must have felt when he saw this CLEAN version. Too clean that it screams STOOGES! Does anyone think that the rose thrower and the rose catcher (who named the number) were confederates? I certainly do think so.

Yiyong

Postby Yiyong » July 21st, 2011, 4:33 pm

Besides using conferderates (rose thrower and catcher), what about the video editing never showing the rose catcher in the action of catching the rose?

The misderiction occurs when the rose is thrown on a cameraman. The spectators (at least on video) never see any catching of the roses. It appears spontaneous to the untrained eye but it is a well rehersed script using a stacked deck (the deck was never shuffled) and the conspiracy of stooges.

Lu Chen calls this ACAAN his version. However, if he used stooges and the assistance of cameramen along with some video editing, it is not his version and it is not ethical to lie. His version is just a different pressentation (rope, glasses, roses)

There is another video of Lu Chen on Youtube where he performes an impossible ACAAN. As the cards are being counted and delt face up, another camera shows that the cards have been rearragned on the glass table. Lu Chen will go to any extent to surpass anyone, but doing this in front of Berglas is tasteless.

Frank Yuen

Postby Frank Yuen » July 21st, 2011, 6:36 pm

Max Maven on another forum has posted that there was no edit. Not sure which video he was referring to as both were also referenced in the thread.

Oli Foster

Postby Oli Foster » July 21st, 2011, 6:57 pm

I might be wrong but I think there was some cueing. He says there was no rehearsal which, no doubt there wasn't, but it would be easy enough to have a visual prompt on the table or on the rose, or, failing that, a good old fashioned whisper while attention was on the other guy. Occams razor: the simplest explanation is the most likely...

Yiyong

Postby Yiyong » July 21st, 2011, 9:38 pm

Here is the poorly edited ACAAN by Lu Chen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yquvd8dnOwA

Take a closer look at 8:08 and at 8:38... precisely 30 seconds went by but the cards have magically moved!

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 21st, 2011, 10:01 pm

First of all, you're criticizing an edit in a piece of footage from Chinese TV, NOT from the performance on the EMC. There is definitely an edit in the footage from Chinese TV because the face-up cards on the table have been squared slightly--but I think that's all. If you noticed how the cards were slipping all over on the table when she was dealing them face up, I think what happened at some point is that a bunch of them slid off the inner end of the table and they cut out the bit where she picked them up and shoved them back under the cards on the table. That's my guess.

But, of course, there HAS to be a method, and if he's sitting far away from the deck, well, something has to be happening. :)

Yiyong

Postby Yiyong » July 21st, 2011, 10:32 pm

"But, of course, there HAS to be a method, and if he's sitting far away from the deck, well, something has to be happening. :) [/quote]

Something similar to the EMC perfomance; a method possibly using STOOGES!

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 21st, 2011, 10:37 pm

How does a TV host throw a ball backward over her head to a stooge?

Yiyong

Postby Yiyong » July 22nd, 2011, 12:10 am

Simple, but I feel that I have to reiterate.

The first time the host throws the ball, it doesn't matter who catches it as any card can be called by the catcher and no stooge is necessary. The camera shows the ball trajectory landing clearly on a random spectator (3:12-3:16).

The second time the host throws the ball, a stooge (who has memorized the stack) must catch it. I looked closely (3:33-3:38) and never saw the ball land in the hands of anyone. I didn't even see the trajectory of the ball as it reached the audience. Apparently the stooge picked it up as it landed near his feet. Et voila! Great editing and a "fake reacting audience" as used by equaly famous magicians such as David Blaine,Cris Angel...

Oli Foster

Postby Oli Foster » July 24th, 2011, 12:36 pm

I don't think you need a stooge or editing or a fake reacting audience. If you look at the electric chairs routine, that's just two random guys being cued so you could certainly do the same for something as straight forward as a card and a number - and the bizarre set up gives you lots of places for it. Pop it anywhere you like...

Yiyong

Postby Yiyong » July 25th, 2011, 11:39 am

I look at the electric chairs routine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgRCOLwIJAQ

I guess you're an amazing magician if you can cue someone into naming any number between 1 and 52 (within a few seconds)with no pre show set up.

Oil Foster, thank you for your contibution. You have amazing observation skills!

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » July 25th, 2011, 11:45 am

Yiyong wrote:
I guess you're an amazing magician if you can cue someone into naming any number between 1 and 52 (within a few seconds)with no pre show set up.

Couldn't you just have a bit of paper with "Say number 17" stuck someplace?

Return to “Kaufman & Company”