reading vs video

All beginners in magic should address their questions here.
erdnasephile

Re: reading vs video

Postby erdnasephile » March 22nd, 2018, 6:21 am

John Signa wrote:
Richard Kaufman wrote:The only really bad thing about video is that it's more difficult to learn from because the footage goes by so fast.

Many DVD players have slow-motion capability.

When I want to learn a move from a DVD, I watch it on my computer where I use an app I created to control DVD player using voice commands.

Great idea, Mr. Signa!

Is your app commercially available?

Zig Zagger
Favorite Magician: Aldo Colombini

Postby Zig Zagger » March 24th, 2018, 5:13 am

EndersGame wrote:I particularly appreciate it when there's a combination of written and visual materials.

I fully agree, particularly when the videos come from the author of the book. Roberto Giobbi and Michael Close come to mind here.

Explanations aside, I think it's also great to simply see the author perform his pieces. What a great way to experience the look and feel of a routine, its flow and duration, etc.! This can tremendously help in making your purchase decision.

Take, for example, Switzerland's Christian Scherer's big book of original magic in German, "Schlaglichter" ("Bright Lights"). It is accompanied by a website (http://www.schlaglichter.ch/schre/index ... f=1&i=home) that features performance videos of all routines for close-up, parlor, and stage featured in his book (almost 30 in total).

I wished more authors would go this extra mile!
Have a look at our magic blog, http://www.zzzauber.com
Advancing the art in magic one post at a time (yeah, right!)

performer

Postby performer » March 24th, 2018, 10:06 am

It can be very useful to see someone perform a move on video if they do it well so from that learning point of view it can be a very good thing. The trouble is that for me personally seeing an author performing his piece is highly likely (with a few exceptions) to turn me off the trick completely.

Dave Le Fevre
Favorite Magician: Paul Megram

Postby Dave Le Fevre » March 24th, 2018, 12:35 pm

For a variety of reasons, I prefer books in general. However, DVDs have several advantages. One such advantage is that you can see the effect performed before you know the method.

There’s an effect in Five Times Five (Japan) which I read. I thought that that the method seemed obvious. Yet each time I perform it, it gets a good reaction. And each time I perform it, it makes me wish that that I’d seen it performed before I’d read it, in order that I could appreciate why it gets that reaction.

It’s not just me that thinks that way. Many years ago I wandered into Davenports and they demo-ed an effect. Wow, that’s amazing, I bought it on the spot. They said that they weren’t sure how good an effect it was, since such effects are usually supplied with a demo video that they watch first. But this one hadn’t, so they’d simply read the instructions and performed it. I assured them that it was good. (And I still perform it.)

And of course it’s possible that when you buy a book you’ve already seen performances of most of the effects in it. But I’d think that unlikely.

EndersGame
Favorite Magician: Tommy Wonder

Postby EndersGame » April 2nd, 2018, 12:04 pm

Michael Vincent's comments about books versus videos in this 6 minute clip are worth listening to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79z4xA1wiTo
Click here to see all my reviews: Magic Reviews Playing Card Reviews Board Game Reviews

performer

Postby performer » April 2nd, 2018, 12:54 pm

I agree with him. However the irony of it all is he is telling us all that in a video!

Jackpot

Postby Jackpot » April 2nd, 2018, 10:09 pm

performer wrote:I agree with him. However the irony of it all is he is telling us all that in a video!

I don't find that ironic. If he wrote his opinion only those of us who already appreciate the written word would have access to his opinion. Using a video medium he might connect with some of those who rely too heavily on DVDs. They may pick up a book and learn something about themselves and magic that they can't find on a DVD.
Not the one who created the Potter Index.

performer

Postby performer » April 2nd, 2018, 11:29 pm

You are correct. I just found it funny! In any event I far prefer books. They are far more convenient for one thing. DVDs and videos are such a hassle to watch. And 90% of the time the performer is bloody awful even if the material is wonderful. It does discourage the learning process somewhat. At least when you read a book you don't know how crap the author is at performing so you can be more objective about it.

John Signa

Postby John Signa » April 2nd, 2018, 11:53 pm

erdnasephile wrote:
John Signa wrote:When I want to learn a move from a DVD, I watch it on my computer where I use an app I created to control DVD player using voice commands.

Great idea, Mr. Signa!

Is your app commercially available?

Alas, not.

Jackpot

Postby Jackpot » April 3rd, 2018, 12:05 am

performer wrote:You are correct. I just found it funny! In any event I far prefer books. They are far more convenient for one thing. DVDs and videos are such a hassle to watch.

It is funny.
There is a price for being illiterate. The price of illiteracy is less material at a greater cost. Every time the technology changes you have to buy a new device to watch new material. And you have to hope that your old VCR player out lasts the tapes you already own. The technology of the written word has changed, but at a much slower pace. Clay and stone tablets, to scrolls, to books, to e-books. The printed books are the best. Lighter, easier to use and not subject to electrical issues like the others.
Not the one who created the Potter Index.

performer

Postby performer » April 3rd, 2018, 1:44 am

I DETEST e-books! I will never read one. I think they are horrible things against the laws of nature. Ironically I have a few of my own on Amazon. I have never actually seen them in that form myself. God alone knows what they look like!

performer

Postby performer » April 3rd, 2018, 1:51 am

I am not sure technology is such an advantage. I used to give cassette tapes of my psychic readings to my clients but nobody has tape recorders any more so I can't do that now. It is an infernal nuisance. Some of my psychic colleagues went on to give CDs instead. I was about to purchase an expensive recorder for that but now I find that CDs are becoming obsolete and don't always play in people's computers any more. So the next thing I tried was to get people to record the readings on their phone but half the time they don't know how to work their own phone so I have just given up. The old fashioned cassette tapes worked very well but this awful technology is a backward step and I would far prefer it if it didn't exist. I detest cell phones and I was about to purchase a phone jammer so I could get some peace from them until I found out it was illegal.

You are all welcome to the march of time. I don't approve of it.

Return to “General”