Used books?

All beginners in magic should address their questions here.

Used books?

Postby Guest » October 3rd, 2001, 4:52 pm

Regarding: RK inviting people to post more...
Be careful what you wish for! ;)

I know that many authors and publisher read this forum so this
may be an interesting topic to discuss.

What is your opinion about the sale of used books. I often defer
a used book purchase with the reasoning that I would like to
give the sale of a book to the Author/Publisher/Dealer so the
creators can receive their due credit and or compensation.

BUT

I am only human, and when I see someone offering a used book at
a fantastic price, I am tempted...

Of course, this is the point of view coming from someone who
is not an author or a publisher of books. I was wondering how
my views relate (or not) to the people in the business.

Burt

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Used books?

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 3rd, 2001, 8:37 pm

Urusai,
A good topic! I think of all of my books, each and very printed copy, as a child. When children find a happy home where someone READS them, I am even happier.
I have shelves full of "used" books--they are all the classics of magic that were published before I started buying books. There is no other way to buy a book like that, other than as a "used" book.
I certainly appreciate it when someone buys a book directly from me, at its retail price, new, but I can also understand when someone finds a bargain--a "used" book. No problem at all! :)
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

pduffie

Postby pduffie » October 4th, 2001, 1:05 pm

Hi

There's one thing that I enjoy just as much as reading a good book, and that's reading through a second hand book list! And, as a writer, I have to say that I don't mind seeing my books on that list for resale (though I admit I am a little pissed that somebody wanted to get rid of it!).

However, like Richard, I get a thrill from finding old and out-of-print publications that are otherwise unobtainable. But I'll buy anything that interests me if the price is right. I don't see a problem with that.

Best Wishes

Peter

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » October 5th, 2001, 9:30 am

Originally posted by urusai:

What is your opinion about the sale of used books. I often defer
a used book purchase with the reasoning that I would like to
give the sale of a book to the Author/Publisher/Dealer so the
creators can receive their due credit and or compensation.

Authors/Publishers/Creators are compensated upon the original sale of the book (or videotape or DVD). It is good to hear that "users" want to ensure credit and compensation, but accepted practice in just about all fields of publishing is that it is okay to buy and sell used copies of works (I used to work in a used record (vinyl LP) store in Nashville TN, just blocks from the offices of major labels and publishers -- they didn't care, nor did songwriters and artists). Peter Duffie's and Richard Kaufman's attitudes are similiar to those of most authors that I have met.

Lending libraries offer a similar conundrum, but are critical to the introduction of many laypeople to the world of magic. Unfortunately some authors (Mike Close comes to mind) have indicated that loaning their works is not appropriate. I think this is a little restrictive -- it is though the author
wants to retain rights to the information contained in the book after its sale, and my opinion is that they can't do so.

Obviously, making a copy of a book or tape or DVD is bad, bad, bad (although many folks who honor this concept with respect to magic instructional videos have no problems with making and swapping copies of magic TV shows).

Bill Mullins

Return to “General”