Escapology for Child Performers

All beginners in magic should address their questions here.

Escapology for Child Performers

Postby Guest » July 23rd, 2001, 12:37 pm

My son Max is age six and wants to do escapes. He is quite adept at freeing himself from ropes and even a laundry sack. I would love to get him either some handcuffs to work on. Does anyone have any that they can recommend for very small wrists/children?

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Escapology for Child Performers

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 23rd, 2001, 2:47 pm

Mike,
Are his wrists too big for a pair of thumb cuffs? :)
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » July 23rd, 2001, 2:56 pm

His wrists are about 1.75" in diameter.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 23rd, 2001, 3:01 pm

You might call a magic shop and ask someone to measure a pair of thumb cuffs for you. I'm sure there's someone out there who can make you a pair of wee handcuffs, but the problem is going to be that he's going to outgrow any custom-made pair in fairly short order.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » July 24th, 2001, 3:24 am

Your local police department should have plenty of regulation sets available. The next time he steps out of line, just have one of the officers cuff him up and sit back and enjoy the show! :D

On the serious side, the best handcuffs I've seen are put out by David Deval, available at your favorite dealer.

Postby Guest » July 26th, 2001, 1:56 am

I know when I was about that age, someone thought it was a good idea to give my big brother handcuffs (just the standard ones you can get in a joke shop or something- they open with a simple key). Of course he thought it was a great joke to cuff me to a bedpost and leave me there, so I learned to pick them with a paperclip if I didn't want to miss dinner.

So cuffs like that are out there- They look good, feel pretty heavy, and hold well, yet can be picked by a paperclip.

-Strompf-

Return to “General”