Introductory book

All beginners in magic should address their questions here.
Bill Mullins

Introductory book

Postby Bill Mullins » August 17th, 2021, 5:44 pm

I mentioned to a former boss, a retired physicist, my interest in magic. He said that he used to have a book on the subject, loaned it away, never got it back, and would I recommend something. I'm taking the request to be for a good broad-based book on magic (although, to be honest, Herbert Becker's book may be more of what he wants to know).

My first thought is Amateur Magician's Handbook by Henry Hay, but it doesn't seem to be in print. Or maybe one of Bruce Elliot's books.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Bob Farmer

Re: Introductory book

Postby Bob Farmer » August 17th, 2021, 5:49 pm

Harry Lorayne's Magic Book is fabulous.

Joe Lyons
Favorite Magician: Wonder

Postby Joe Lyons » August 17th, 2021, 8:10 pm

I think your first instinct is correct. You can find used copies starting at $10.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » August 17th, 2021, 9:00 pm

I think Harry's book is great and his casual style is more accessible than the Hay book, IMHO.
My other favorite beginner's broad based book recommendation is "Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic."

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » August 17th, 2021, 9:10 pm

Mark Wilson's Complete Course

Knack Magic Tricks

Joshua Jay Complete Magic Course

All three of the excellent books above can be had as used copies for about five or six bucks each.
Last edited by Chris Aguilar on August 17th, 2021, 9:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jack Shalom

Postby Jack Shalom » August 17th, 2021, 9:11 pm

Assuming zero knowledge, then Magic For Dummies. Really. Great book.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 17th, 2021, 10:38 pm

I must immodestly suggest Knack Magic Tricks.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » August 17th, 2021, 11:22 pm

Another vote for the Mark Wilson Course. There are almost always copies at the local Half Price Books in the Seattle area.

There's really solid material there too. I have a friend who did the Cups and Balls routine form MWC in his professional work table side and behind the bar for years.

Edward Pungot

Postby Edward Pungot » August 18th, 2021, 1:14 am

Dynamo: The Book of Secrets (2017)

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » August 18th, 2021, 3:22 am

One of the strengths of the Wilson Course is the coin section, which was written by none other than David Roth.

Edward Pungot

Postby Edward Pungot » August 18th, 2021, 10:29 am

Jack Shalom wrote:Assuming zero knowledge, then Magic For Dummies. Really. Great book.

I read somewhere that Max Maven was a consultant on this project..

Correction: I think it may have been the Idiot's Guide version.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » August 18th, 2021, 11:09 am

All good suggestions, although some are written at more of a juvenile level -- my friend is a retired PhD.

And at Abebooks when searching for Henry Hay, I find Amateur Magician's Handbook, Cyclopedia of Magic, and (from Dover, which is usually a good sign) Learn Magic. Are all of these the same book, repackaged? I'm familiar only with Handbook.

Joe Lyons

Postby Joe Lyons » August 18th, 2021, 11:22 am

No, all different. Cyclopedia is exactly what it sounds like. Learn Magic is decent, presented in a set of twenty lessons, but I prefer the Handbook, possibly only because it was one of my first books.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » August 18th, 2021, 12:33 pm

If he wants to learn a few good tricks I recommend the Holistic Approach to Magic by Hope

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » August 18th, 2021, 12:50 pm

Here are four books that introduced me to magic, so old that most of you have never heard of them:

http://littleegyptmagic.com/parrish.htm

Topovich

Postby Topovich » March 16th, 2022, 12:37 am

Edward Pungot wrote:
Jack Shalom wrote:Assuming zero knowledge, then Magic For Dummies. Really. Great book.

I read somewhere that Max Maven was a consultant on this project.

They did bring in some good consultants for this book, like Michael Ammar and others.

It's a better introduction book than the title would suggest.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 16th, 2022, 11:33 am

The Mark Wilson Course is much too large for a beginner. Of course, people buy it for exactly that reason, but the size does not guide the reader. Too much stuff to choose from.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » March 16th, 2022, 12:38 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:The Mark Wilson Course is much too large for a beginner. Of course, people buy it for exactly that reason, but the size does not guide the reader. Too much stuff to choose from.

Good point. While it's a great book, I can see it being overwhelming for some people.

Your "Knack Magic" or the Josh Jay book are much more accessible. And the layout of both books is frankly more appealing than the Mark Wilson course.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » March 16th, 2022, 1:35 pm

About magic? About tricks? About learning to perform magic?

Topovich

Postby Topovich » March 16th, 2022, 7:46 pm

I agree with the comments that the Mark Wilson book is too large for a beginner.

Tarotist
Favorite Magician: David Nixon

Postby Tarotist » March 16th, 2022, 10:57 pm

Henry Hay's "Amateur Magicians Handbook" has been mentioned here. However, in some ways I prefer his lesser known book "Learn Magic". It is certainly a better book out of the two for a beginner. The trouble with the Handbook is that it covers so much ground that there are less detailed descriptions and it certainly isn't a beginners book anyway.

However, "Learn Magic" has more detail for a beginner and easier to learn from. Terrific illustrations too. I rather like the Mark Wilson book but I think the book I would recommend most for the serious beginner is "The Magic Book" by Harry Lorayne.

When I was a beginner the first book I got was "Magic as a Hobby" which was bloody useless since I had no idea where to get the props and I couldn't do the tricks which didn't need props anyway. I made more progress with Scarne's Magic Tricks because at least there were tons of tricks there will all sorts of everyday items. However, I wasn't really getting anywhere until I read Wilfrid Jonson's book on card tricks because at least old Wilfrid explained about presentation which wasn't mentioned in the other books I read. However, my learning went into the stratosphere when I studied the Royal Road to Card Magic.

RobFromNZ

Postby RobFromNZ » March 17th, 2022, 1:47 am

I've always thought Allan Kronzek's "The Secrets od Alkazar" was a great way to introduce someone to magic, tricks,presentation and theory.

katterfelt0
Favorite Magician: Depends on the day. Today, Rick Maue.

Postby katterfelt0 » March 17th, 2022, 8:24 am

RobFromNZ wrote:I've always thought Allan Kronzek's "The Secrets od Alkazar" was a great way to introduce someone to magic, tricks,presentation and theory.

Seconded. I was going to make that recommendation but you beat me to it.
Effect and method are inextricably linked.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » March 17th, 2022, 7:43 pm

I am about to commit heresy:

Are there any good DVD's for beginners that you've seen?

Joe Lyons

Postby Joe Lyons » March 17th, 2022, 8:13 pm

erdnasephile wrote:I am about to commit heresy:

Are there any good DVD's for beginners that you've seen?

Ammar, McBride and Daryl all have some great videos.

My suggestion: Visions of Wonder by Tommy Wonder.

Sure most of the effects are above the pay grade of a beginner (or intermediate) magician.

I challenge any newbie to watch the performances first, then the explanations with the excellent interviews with Max Maven and not be hooked on magic for life.

Heretic.
:)

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » March 17th, 2022, 8:21 pm

I strongly suggest to every beginner to obtain "Expert Card Technique" by Hugard and Braue. After doing so they should ignore the book entirely which will be like studying nuclear physics to them. If they try to learn that stuff as a beginner it will put them off magic for life. So why do I say that a beginner should get hold of the book? Because of the presentation section at the back. Even magicians who have been doing magic for decades have been daft enough never to read this section. If they study it thoroughly and practice what it advises they will be ten times better in a few months than others who have been doing magic for years but haven't yet learned to PRESENT it properly.

Topovich

Postby Topovich » March 17th, 2022, 9:17 pm

erdnasephile wrote:Are there any good DVD's for beginners that you've seen?

There's Roberto Giobbi's video course based on Card College 1 & 2:

https://www.robertogiobbi.com/site/prod ... ete-course

Edward Pungot

Postby Edward Pungot » March 17th, 2022, 9:49 pm

All Proceeds Get Matched By Kenner and Goes
Towards Cancer Research ( great thinking here )
https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/masterclass/chris-kenner-masterclass-live/

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » March 17th, 2022, 11:23 pm

erdnasephile wrote:Are there any good DVD's for beginners that you've seen?

My original question was for a more specific person than a "beginner" -- a retired doctorate in physics who wants to learn _about_ magic, which is different (in my way of thinking) than learning to do magic (I have no expectation he'll start working tables at a restaurant.)

I was strongly tempted to get him a copy of the "think-a-drink" segment of Carisa Hendrix's Penguin Live act video. I can't think of any other video that shows to what depth a performer can go to put together a character and an act with tricks that support the character; and how the methods and effects of tricks can evolve and be improved not only to make each trick better, but how the tricks all add together to make a better act and show. It's a great video and has great magic, but it's better at the how and why than just about any I can think of (possible exception of Tommy Wonder, but in this specific situation I think Hendrix's would be better).

JimKane
Favorite Magician: Shimada

Postby JimKane » May 18th, 2022, 1:30 am

I surprised no one has suggested Tarbell.

If your Physicist friend likes Tarbell #1, he has 7 more volumes to enjoy; if not, he can pass it along to the next initiate in the chain.

I see many good suggestions for the Hay books; other choices you might consider are: Modern Magic Manual by Jean Hugard; or, The Stein and Day Handbook of Magic, by Marvin Kaye. Pretty much any of the General Magic 'Handbooks' will be a good place to start and get the wheels turning; and, help to point a newly-interested person from a very broad interest base, and into more specific magical disciplines - and more advanced material in the area which they are most naturally attracted to.

I've always wondered what would happen - as an experiment - if the only magic books a person were instructed to read were The Fitzkee Trilogy - not teaching a single slight, effect, or routine; only the theory of magic - and, after finishing with book #3, The Trick Brain, see what magic effects they invent, methods they employ to bring those effects about, and, how the subject-student would present them - with no influence from, or knowledge of: 'standard effects, standard patter, and standard presentations'.

That could be quite fascinating to witness the result... or, a train-wreck.

- Jim

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » May 18th, 2022, 3:34 am

Magic Digest by George B. Anderson. It covers different branches of magic, shows you how to put an act together, covers some of magic's history and characters. I buy them up whenever I come across them and give them to potential magicians who show signs of intelligence.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » May 18th, 2022, 6:59 am

Harry Lorayne's Magic Book or Richard Kaufman's Knack Magic Tricks.

Philippe Billot

Postby Philippe Billot » May 18th, 2022, 7:36 am

LIKE BOB FARMER, I enjoy these two books...

BUT as I am chauvinistic, I vote for Robert-Houdin

Peter Ross
Favorite Magician: Doug Henning

Postby Peter Ross » May 18th, 2022, 2:42 pm

"And back at the Wilshire, Pedro sits there dreaming
He's found a book on magic in a garbage can
He looks at the pictures and stares at the cracked ceiling
"At the count of 3," he says, "I hope I can disappear"

Lou Reed - Dirty Blvd.

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » May 18th, 2022, 2:58 pm

On reflection I think for an absolute beginner who knows NOTHING about magic (as opposed to a beginner who knows a small amount) Scarne's magic tricks is probably the best bet. There are tons of tricks in there to whet the appetite and get them started. In other words to light the match before the fire starts! Then and only then once the bug bites then they can go on to all the wonderful beginners books described on this thread. That is exactly what happened to me when I first started. There is such a massive variety of tricks in the Scarne books. Not a great deal on how to present the stuff but that can wait until the bug bites. When it does they can go on to greater things.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » May 19th, 2022, 8:47 am

The Scarne books are really good, especially the card one.

Bob Coyne
Favorite Magician: Charlies [sic]

Postby Bob Coyne » May 19th, 2022, 10:13 am

I agree about the Scarne card tricks book. Lots of good easy-to-do tricks suitable for a complete beginner. It was the first book I learned from. And Royal Road was next. I think that's a good sequence.

Return to “General”