Perverse Magic -Cards Across – Another Version

All beginners in magic should address their questions here.
Gerald Deutsch

Perverse Magic -Cards Across – Another Version

Postby Gerald Deutsch » November 1st, 2020, 2:23 pm

On page 428 of the book “Gerald Deutsch’s Perverse Magic: The First Sixteen Years” (May 1, 2018 of the “Perverse Magic” thread below) a Cards Across appears. presented as the sixth category of Perverse Magic – the performer explains something that will happen but he doesn’t understand why it happens – (see page 335 of the book or April 1, 2015 of the thread noted above).

This is another version of that effect but here the performer says one thing will happen but something else does – the second category of Perverse Magic.

Effect

The spectator is asked to cut off about 1/3 of the deck you are holding.

She does.

You tell the spectator to count the cards she cut carefully but dropping each card one at a time on the table and you show her by dropping 3 cards from the remainder of the deck you are holding one at a time on the table.

She does.

You pick up the cards she counted, give it to her, and tell her to hold those cards tightly. She does.

She has, say 15.

You tell her you’re going to make three cards vanish from her packet so she will have 12 and you snap you fingers over her hands.

She counts her cards and to her surprise and your confusion she now has not 12, not 15, but 18!

Method

When you show her how to count and you deal off 3 cards, you palm those 3 cards as you appear to put them back on the deck.

When the spectator counts her cards by dropping them on the table you push her counted cards to her with the hand that has the palmed three cards, secretly dropping those three cards on to her pile.

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Re: Perverse Magic -Cards Across – Another Version

Postby MagicbyAlfred » November 2nd, 2020, 7:54 am

Excellent! Thank you! This is a nice streamlined handling and classic perverse presentation/effect.

I don't want to unduly complicate what is already a wonderful effect, in and of itself, but I would offer this, as a possible variation: After loading 3 cards on to the cards the spectator has initially counted, the magician shows that he/she has 10 cards (false counting 7 as 10). Magician announces that 3 cards will vanish from the spectator's packet and magically reappear into the magician's packet, as suggested by Gerald. After the spectator counts his/her cards to find that 3 cards have appeared rather than disappeared, they can count the magician's packet to find only 7 cards, i.e., 3 cards have vanished rather than 3 cards having appeared. The direct opposite of all that the magician tried to conjure up has happened - everything has gone wrong. The wrong spell!

I am a big fan of Gerald's Perverse magic! It so effectively reduces or even eliminates the defensiveness or resentment factors that might otherwise arise in the typical scenario of magicians (even if unintentional) proving how clever and cunning they are, and outwitting the spectator. Magic, IMHO, should not be one-upmanship, a battle of wits, or a puzzle. And when things go "wrong" for the magician, Sorcerer's Apprentice-style, it is inherently comedic and entertaining for the spectator - the magician too!

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » November 2nd, 2020, 8:43 am

Clarification: In my previous post, I stated: "Magician announces that 3 cards will vanish from the spectator's packet and magically reappear into the magician's packet, as suggested by Gerald."

I got the wording messed up ("perverse grammar"?). What I meant to say was: "Magician announces that 3 cards will vanish from the spectator's packet, as suggested by Gerald. The magician then says that the 3 cards will magically reappear in the magician's packet." (The second sentence contains my own suggestion).

Paco Nagata
Favorite Magician: Juan Tamariz

Postby Paco Nagata » November 5th, 2020, 8:42 pm

MagicbyAlfred wrote:...I got the wording messed up ("perverse grammar"?). ..

:lol:
I love your witty humour, Alfred!

This card trick made me recall a little magic gag I have been performing in some of my shows:

The magician is blindfolded in front of 20 playing cards from a deck; 10 red and 10 black.
Spectators shuffle them well and give them face down to the magician.
Then the magician try to separate red and black:
"This must be red, this black, this black, red..."
The magician says: "red on the right and black on the left..."
At the end, the blindfold is removed.
The magician takes the cards on the right side saying: "the red ones." Turns them over and spreads them...
"Damn it! I didn't hit ANY!... All black!"

People laugh and laugh... as the magician keep being angry with him/herself... :roll:
"The Passion of an Amateur Card Magician"
https://bit.ly/2lXdO2O
"La pasion de un cartómago aficionado"
https://bit.ly/2kkjpjn

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » November 6th, 2020, 7:24 am

Paco, that is fabulous! Very creative and entertaining idea :idea: with a lovely surprise.

Just the kind of twist I'm sure Gerald would agree qualifies as good perverse magic.

Paco Nagata
Favorite Magician: Juan Tamariz

Postby Paco Nagata » November 8th, 2020, 5:47 pm

Thanks, Alfred!

Do you know what?

Today was the 7th birthday of my son, and I wanted to do some funny card trick I have never done yet... But what?... Yes!

I performed Mr. Deutsch's Perverse Card Across!

People enjoyed it a lot! It was very funny!

Needless to say that I mentioned Mr. Deutsch's name in the show as the magician I learnt it from.

So, thanks a lot, Mr. Deutsch, for sharing your great ideas!

By the way, my son dared to perform "Poker Player Picnic"! He did it quite well ^_^
"The Passion of an Amateur Card Magician"
https://bit.ly/2lXdO2O
"La pasion de un cartómago aficionado"
https://bit.ly/2kkjpjn

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » November 9th, 2020, 2:00 pm

Paco, congratulations! You capitalized beautifully on Gerald Deutsch''s Perverse Cards Across, and you gave him credit too! But you also deserve credit for immediately adopting and performing this fine trick, which was very well received, and I am sure that is gratifying. Also congratulations to your son on his successful performance of Poker Player's Picnic - one of the finest card tricks in the entire arsenal. You must be proud of him.

Return to “General”