Perverse Magic -Cards ON Wall

All beginners in magic should address their questions here.
Gerald Deutsch

Perverse Magic -Cards ON Wall

Postby Gerald Deutsch » October 21st, 2020, 10:31 am

On page 335 of the book “Gerald Deutsch’s Perverse Magic: The First Sixteen Years” (April 1, 2015 of the “Perverse Magic” thread below) it’s said as two of the categories, “ the performer and the audience are on different planes” and “ the performer explains something that will happen but he doesn’t understand why it happens”.

This is a good example.

Years ago, at a Tannen Convention in the Catskills, the magicians were gathered in the lobby waiting for doors to open and I did this:

Effect

I had a deck of cards in my hand and I appeared a bit confused as I walked to the wall and slapped a card face down on that wall. The card stuck. I sort of stumbled over to another part of the wall and did the same with another card. I repeated this several times

Then I shuffled over to the first card, pulled it off the wall, walked to another section, put it on the wall there but this time, face up.

This was repeated for a few minutes to the amusement of those watching. I also
“slid” some of the cards on the wall to a spot next to where they originally were.

Method

Static electricity.

There was a carpet on the floor and as I walked to and from the wall I shuffled my feet on the carpet creating the static electricity which caused the cards to stick to the wall.

I don’t think many watching were aware if this principle.

It was a good interlude while waiting for doors to open.

Note that Perverse Magic allows magicians to perform without saying look how good I am.

Return to “General”