Magician with animals

All beginners in magic should address their questions here.
Magix-fr
Favorite Magician: all))

Magician with animals

Postby Magix-fr » January 12th, 2020, 12:47 am

In France there is a problem. There are associations that defend animals. They are present at the entrance to the event. And the organizers are now no longer taking a show with the animals.
Soon the end of the magician with exotic animals like parrot and then ... dove rabbit ..
Here is an example: For a medieval festival, they brought a bear. The animal rights association was present. There was a rush, the public did not appreciate it and now the organizers will no longer bring the bear next year.

Is it the same problem In America?

Magician with animals
Web site and why not a magicien close-up Paris et Ile-de-France to see a good show.

performer

Re: Magician with animals

Postby performer » January 12th, 2020, 6:49 am

I have to confess that I am not overly keen on magicians performing with animals. I almost feel like gagging when I see magicians use little chicks for the cups and balls for example. I once worked in a circus which had very few animals so I didn't really see much in the way of cruelty but the way the animal trainers talked among themselves horrified me somewhat. Callous and cruel. I have no idea whether all circus animal trainers are like that but it did not give me a good impression of them. I once thought that a circus was not a circus without animals but nowadays I would be quite happy to see the back of them.

When I see doves and other birds put in those harness things I really don't like it and furthermore I don't see why poor little rabbits have to be stuffed in cramped boxes without their permission. I would however be absolutely delighted if the magicians themselves were stuffed into cramped boxes and put in harnesses. That would delight me greatly.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 12th, 2020, 7:57 am

The use of animals in performing magic has been on the decline for many years.
Bears, wild cats--no wild animal belongs in a magic act.
I think bunnies are cool with it.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » January 12th, 2020, 6:22 pm

I am an animal lover and one of those (what many people might call) crazy people who believe that animals are equal to humans. I even wrote a "Declaration of Animal Independence" years ago. Animals don't have wars, commit crimes, or pollute the planet, and more often than not, they are more lovable than humans. Even the carnivoristic ones generally (not necessarily in every case) kill only as needed to survive. I certainly agree with Richard that wild animals should never be used in magic. As far as doves and bunnies and snakes as part of an act, I really have no problem with it, as long as they are well taken care of, treated well and not abused. No cramped boxes, etc. as Performer mentioned. The first real magic show I ever went to was an old school magician in top hat and tails, and it made such a huge and delightful impression on me when he pulled a white bunny from the hat. That's thee classic trick so many people associate with magicians. I do think that some of the animal rights activists are overzealous and bring it over the top. (I sometimes wonder how they treat their own spouses or other "loved ones"). Humans work for other humans and are often mistreated, while the magicians I have known who have had animal assistants, have treated them quite well, and they fed and took care of them, and gave them love and affection. Bunnies can't use or spend money - but they will work for carrots!

performer

Postby performer » January 12th, 2020, 8:37 pm

There were no lions in my circus but there was a lady there who was an animal trainer and had worked with lions. I found out how circus lions roar on command. She snorted "you use a shocker". I asked what a "shocker" was. It seems that it is something or other at the end of a pole which gives the lion an electric shock. I said nothing but I was the one who was shocked although in a different way.

There was also an elephant trainer there who did some kind of act with horses when I was there. I was a bit puzzled as to what he did with the horses at the end of the season. Where did they go and who looked after them? He disturbed me by saying in such a casual manner, "Oh, I just have them put down"

Now perhaps I shouldn't condemn the entire circus industry because of the statements made by two animal trainers but it did make me wonder if the rest of them talked like that. I hate to say it but I suspect they do.

Now I know that magicians are not animal trainers but as far as I am concerned I would be far happier if they would leave their rabbits and birds at home.

Paco Nagata
Favorite Magician: Juan Tamariz

Postby Paco Nagata » January 13th, 2020, 5:36 am

I wonder if insects would be allowed...

I used a firebug when I was 10 years old to stick it on the face of a playing card, so that a selected card would appear to be moving by itself on the table...
The method I used to stick the insect during the trick was to create firstly a "Sellotape ring" and to paste the insect on it. So then, I kept all that inside the front pocket of my coat...
The procedure is another story that maybe doesn't have anything to do with the topic of this thread.
"The Passion of an Amateur Card Magician"
https://bit.ly/2lXdO2O
"La pasion de un cartómago aficionado"
https://bit.ly/2kkjpjn

performer

Postby performer » January 13th, 2020, 1:50 pm

I dislike insects with a passion (and I am not talking about the horrible bugs on the magic cafe) but even so I don't think it is a nice thing to do to stick things on to them. Still, if you are going to do it then at least try it out on a wasp. It will be at least be a fair fight then----and I hope the wasp wins...........

Oh, this reminds me! I was once giving a lady a psychic reading and a tiny little insect (an ant I think) started to crawl across the table. I immediately brushed it off the table and my client was most disturbed by it. She did not like it at all. To some people all life is precious whether insect life or animal life. I felt quite guilty over it and no longer brush insects off the table. Mind you it has never happened again so that is probably why.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 13th, 2020, 2:56 pm

There was a magician from South America well-known for using bugs and small reptiles in his work. I think his name is Mago Anton. Haven't seen him in decades, but he fooled a lot of people at the time.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

I.M. Magician
Favorite Magician: All of the very best!

Postby I.M. Magician » January 13th, 2020, 3:25 pm

It is my feeling that animals should be treated in the very best way possible at all times.

We have no agreement with insects and most of them are trouble so no holds barred on the vast insect community.

Now squirrels (and a few other animals) can be destructive little suckers so they may be an exception to my rule. Lol...

I am not saying we should be cruel to destructive animals but perhaps immediate capture and relocation is reasonable.

performer

Postby performer » January 13th, 2020, 6:09 pm

I LOVE squirrels! I think they are the acrobats of the animal world! I can hardly believe the things they can accomplish. Tightrope walking across telephone wires, climbing up trees faster than greased lightning to escape from dogs etc;

Nope. I am all in favour of squirrels!

I.M. Magician

Postby I.M. Magician » January 13th, 2020, 6:40 pm

performer wrote:I LOVE squirrels! I think they are the acrobats of the animal world! I can hardly believe the things they can accomplish. Tightrope walking across telephone wires, climbing up trees faster than greased lightning to escape from dogs etc;

Nope. I am all in favour of squirrels!

I used to feel exactly the same way until they decided to take my shed hostage. They turned it into a breeding and nursing facility, damaged parts of it, and never paid one red cent in rent or damages.

That left me no choice but to declare war on them. Chased them out, secured the entryways, and cleaned up their mess.

You obviously don’t have a shed so have no idea what those cute little acrobats are capable of! By the way, they are in the rodent family.

I.M. Magician

Postby I.M. Magician » January 13th, 2020, 7:11 pm

Try holding and petting a squirrel or REAL LIVE mouse. Don’t forget to get your rabies shots first and don’t expect to sell any.

performer

Postby performer » January 13th, 2020, 9:18 pm

I don't bother them and they don't bother me. You really must learn to be nice to them. Try and have a nice talk to them and explain your point of view. I happen to know several people who deal in animal communication. I shall probably see a couple of them in the next few days. I can put in a good word for you if you like. They can have a chat with the squirrels on your behalf. They do charge reasonable prices.

This is how they go about it

https://science.howstuffworks.com/scien ... ychic1.htm

I.M. Magician

Postby I.M. Magician » January 13th, 2020, 9:24 pm

Oy! No...make that double oy!!

performer

Postby performer » January 13th, 2020, 11:13 pm

I once did a psychic fair in Vancouver and the press focused on a lady who did animal communication and she got a big write up over it. The next day everyone brought their dogs in to have a reading. Instead of a psychic fair it was like Crufts Dog Show. Dozens of bloody dogs barking all over the place. I really think it disturbed the spiritual atmosphere and I couldn't concentrate on my readings with all the damn canines barking all over the damn place.

Incidentally, I am quite convinced that cats are psychic. I don't know about squirrels though.

Brian Douglas
Favorite Magician: Max Maven

Postby Brian Douglas » January 13th, 2020, 11:25 pm

performer wrote:...Incidentally, I am quite convinced that cats are psychic. I don't know about squirrels though.

What about monkeycats?

performer

Postby performer » January 13th, 2020, 11:51 pm

Monkeycats are a very special creature indeed. I am very familiar with them and one in particular.

Paco Nagata

Postby Paco Nagata » January 14th, 2020, 2:48 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:There was a magician from South America well-known for using bugs and small reptiles in his work. I think his name is Mago Anton. Haven't seen him in decades, but he fooled a lot of people at the time.

Here in Spain there is a professional Galician magician whose stage name is Mago Anton. He was born in 1956. I don't know much about this magician but he has a lot of reputation, specially in his homeland Galicia. I don't know if he worked in South America. Maybe is the same you say?

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » January 14th, 2020, 3:44 pm

I believe the Anton in question was from Spain as his book is listed to have been published in the series Of texts Released by editorial frakson.

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » January 17th, 2020, 12:11 pm

Not only is he more well-dressed and well-behaved than the other passengers, but i understand he does a phenomenal "Magician from Hat."
https://www.flyertalk.com/articles/a-bu ... class.html

Paco Nagata

Postby Paco Nagata » January 18th, 2020, 9:26 am

MagicbyAlfred wrote:Not only is he more well-dressed and well-behaved than the other passengers, but i understand he does a phenomenal "Magician from Hat."
https://www.flyertalk.com/articles/a-bu ... class.html

I guess that someone used some "conjuration" from the movie "Bedknobs and Broomsticks" to get rid of his or her little child during that long flight ;)

Magix-fr
Favorite Magician: all))

Postby Magix-fr » February 13th, 2020, 1:25 pm

yes there are problems. Even with children. For example there is Melkior: melkior.fr It's a magician for children, sometimes the organizers ask him to come without a rabbit !! It's incredible, the rabbit is the emblem of the magician.
Web site and why not a magicien close-up Paris et Ile-de-France to see a good show.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » February 13th, 2020, 3:14 pm

Good that he gets called to do shows. Opportunity? -> Tonight the part of the rabbit will be played by...
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Return to “General”