How To Become A Magician

All beginners in magic should address their questions here.
Mahdi Gilbert

How To Become A Magician

Postby Mahdi Gilbert » August 7th, 2018, 8:52 pm

Hi everyone,

I just started a podcast for my website, Before Magic called The Caged Canary and our first episode is how to become a magician. I'd thought I'd leave it here for your enjoyment: http://beforemagic.com/the-caged-canary ... a-magician

Best,
M

EndersGame
Favorite Magician: Tommy Wonder

Re: How To Become A Magician

Postby EndersGame » September 21st, 2018, 11:46 pm

"It is my intention to give such instruction as shall enable the merest tyro to become an adept in the art of Legerdemain." - Mahdi Gilbert

Okay Mahdi, I confess you made me look up the word tyro in the dictionary. To save others looking it up: it turns out that it's an unusual word meaning "a beginner or novice."

But is legerdemain ("skilful use of one's hands when performing conjuring tricks") really the word you are looking for here? Is your intent to focus specifically on sleight of hand, and exclude all `self-working' kinds of magic?

BTW, I was surprised (and pleased) to discover that there are actually five episodes of this podcast available already (although they appear to be listed backwards: "previous" brings you to the next episode, while "next" brings you to the previous episode - you might want to fix that.)
Click here to see all my reviews: Magic Reviews Playing Card Reviews Board Game Reviews

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 22nd, 2018, 1:24 am

I would venture to say that if you are not familiar with the word "tyro," you're not in a position to question Mahdi's use of the English language.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » September 22nd, 2018, 1:14 pm

Not only is Mahdi using the word correctly, and not only is he entirely capable of teaching sleight of hand in addition to self-working tricks, he is quoting a classic text of magic (I will leave identifying that text to you, as an exercise for the student).

Don't try to teach your grandmother to suck eggs, as the saying goes.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » September 22nd, 2018, 1:39 pm

It's funny: I learned the word tyro exclusively from reading magic books where it's use is not uncommon. Much like the words compeer, cognoscenti, and hoi polloi, I've not encountered the term outside of the magic context.

Then again, maybe it just means I've read a whole bunch of the Rock's writings in my time...

EndersGame
Favorite Magician: Tommy Wonder

Postby EndersGame » September 22nd, 2018, 7:59 pm

I am suitably chastised and duly admonished, and sincerely apologize. Mahdi, please forgive the feeble steps of this well intentioned tyro.

With the assistance of Mr Google, I have since discovered that this is actually a direct quote from Edwin Sachs' book "Sleight of Hand" (1885). Had I realized I was actually addressing my questions beyond the grave to a man born in 1850, I would have been a little more charitable. To assist the reader in avoiding making such blunders, I personally am in the habit of crediting my sources or at least the author when making a direct quote; a time-honoured practice that I respectfully commend.

Notwithstanding the above, my appreciation previously expressed for the Caged Canary project remains, and I trust that I won't be a lone voice here, and that my senior prestidigitators will be just as lavish with their praise as with their correction.
Click here to see all my reviews: Magic Reviews Playing Card Reviews Board Game Reviews

performer

Postby performer » September 22nd, 2018, 8:56 pm

Oddly enough although I have known the meaning of "tyro" for years I just realised that I think that the only place I have ever read the word is in magic books!

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » September 23rd, 2018, 6:59 am

EndersGame wrote: To assist the reader in avoiding making such blunders, I personally am in the habit of crediting my sources or at least the author when making a direct quote; a time-honoured practice that I respectfully commend.

There's a novel idea.

Meanwhile I am working diligently on becoming an adept at thaumaturgy. I leave legerdemain to the twelve year-olds.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » September 23rd, 2018, 12:16 pm

Q. Kumber wrote:Meanwhile I am working diligently on becoming an adept at thaumaturgy. I leave legerdemain to the twelve year-olds.

Thaumaturgy? Isn't that a prerequisite to necromancy?

Return to “General”