The Updated and Expanded Edition of Oz Pearlman's Born To Perform Card Magic Video

All beginners in magic should address their questions here.
EndersGame
Favorite Magician: Tommy Wonder

The Updated and Expanded Edition of Oz Pearlman's Born To Perform Card Magic Video

Postby EndersGame » July 25th, 2018, 9:57 pm

Oz Pearlman's Born To Perform Card Magic video was produced in 2003, and is often recommended as an ideal starting point for people wanting to learn the fundamentals of card magic.

But an updated and expanded edition was produced in 2013. Oz is now 10 years older, and everything has been re-filmed, and the explanations have been re-done from scratch, along with two added tricks. It's also a lot longer, clocking in at 3 hours 48 minutes in comparison to the 1 hour 44 minutes of the original.

Has anyone seen the new edition of Born to Perform Card Magic, and if so, what did you think of it? And if you've seen both, would you consider the 2013 version to be an improvement on the 2003 version, or is the original one better?

One final question: is this the kind of video you'd suggest to give a relative beginner (say a teenager who shows a genuine interest in learning card magic) who wants to get a head start on learning some card sleights and a few routines?
Click here to see all my reviews: Magic Reviews Playing Card Reviews Board Game Reviews

EndersGame

Re: The updated and expanded edition of Oz Pearlman's Born To Perform Card Magic video

Postby EndersGame » July 26th, 2018, 1:27 am

Yes, I'm an active contributor in several magic forums - as you must be as well. But given the credentials and expertise of the people that frequent the Genii Forum, I especially value the posts I read here.

I have asked this question elsewhere on a previous occasion as well, but got zero response, so I'm hoping that some of my fellow magicians here might be able to offer some informed insights and perspectives on this. Many thanks in advance!
Click here to see all my reviews: Magic Reviews Playing Card Reviews Board Game Reviews

Roger M.

Re: The updated and expanded edition of Oz Pearlman's Born To Perform Card Magic video

Postby Roger M. » July 26th, 2018, 2:39 am

Would it be possible for you to clarify for us if you have any sort of business arrangement, or if you have (or will) receive financial compensation from either Oz Pearlman, or the DVD production company for your multiple (very similar) posts to multiple magic forums making reference to the DVD ... posts which appear to show an intent to bring attention to the Pearlman DVD, rather than to ask sincere questions, or offer unsolicited reviews?

Thanks.

EndersGame

Postby EndersGame » July 26th, 2018, 5:39 am

Roger M. wrote:Would it be possible for you to clarify for us if you have any sort of business arrangement, or if you have (or will) receive financial compensation from either Oz Pearlman, or the DVD production company for your multiple (very similar) posts to multiple magic forums making reference to the DVD ... posts which appear to show an intent to bring attention to the Pearlman DVD, rather than to ask sincere questions, or offer unsolicited reviews?

That's a fair question, and I am happy to answer it.

I have no arrangement of any kind with Oz Pearlman, his production company, or anyone connected with him. I have never met him, never corresponded with him, and never had any contact with him. I have also never corresponded with the creators or producers of his videos, or with anyone connected with him in any way. I also have no arrangement of any kind with any retailer or anyone that could profit from sales of his videos or products.

I personally own the 2013 version of the Born to Perform Card Magic DVD. I purchased this at full price from Penguin Magic some time ago, and paid for it out of my own pocket.

So I have zero financial stake in this matter, and have nothing to gain from it as far as that or anything goes. I am simply someone with an enthusiasm for card magic, inviting comment from those who share this interest as amateurs or professionals. I recently watched the above mentioned video, and had mixed feelings about it. Since I could find very little informed and intelligent commentary about the expanded and updated edition anywhere online, I am soliciting that here.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » July 26th, 2018, 10:29 am

based on oz’s work i am unconvinced he understands what an ‘effect’ is. I do not feel he had the experience and understanding to produce the original product in a manner that would be helpful to serious students and i’ve seen no evidence he’s learned the lessons required to change that. On that i could be wrong, but having seen his recent work on agt etc. i’m willing to make the claim.

Roger M.

Postby Roger M. » July 26th, 2018, 4:32 pm

EndersGame wrote:
That's a fair question, and I am happy to answer it.

Thanks for taking the time to answer.

erdnasephile

Re: The Updated and Expanded Edition of Oz Pearlman's Born To Perform Card Magic Video

Postby erdnasephile » July 26th, 2018, 8:03 pm

As an FYI: if GF users are interested in more of the OP's magic reviews, here is a continuously updated list with links.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/ ... endersgame

If you are interested in the Oz Pearlman DVD and would like to see what's in it, this review from that page contains that information:

http://www.playingcardforum.com/index.php?topic=11889

EndersGame

Postby EndersGame » July 27th, 2018, 9:43 pm

Brad Henderson wrote:based on oz’s work i am unconvinced he understands what an ‘effect’ is. I do not feel he had the experience and understanding to produce the original product in a manner that would be helpful to serious students and i’ve seen no evidence he’s learned the lessons required to change that. On that i could be wrong, but having seen his recent work on agt etc. i’m willing to make the claim.

Thanks for your input Brad. I had posted my question here and in a couple of other places (given the absence of any response when I posted it elsewhere some time ago), and I think that until now this is the first and only response that engages with my actual question and contributes some meaningful interaction on the topic at hand. I genuinely appreciate you taking the time to reply.

The original video received quite a few raves generally, although as I recall the review in Genii was less enthusiastic. But it has been recommended as a "staple" by many fanboys ever since it was released, I'm guessing primarily from those relatively new to card magic, and not from serious magicians who have the expertise and experience to give a more informed opinion. I was hoping I might find the latter here.

When I first took a look at the updated/expanded version earlier this year, I was thought it was improvement, but now that I'm taking a closer look at parts of the newer video, I'm not so sure. The Ambitious Card routine, for example, feels more like it's been designed to be a greatest hits collection of sleights rather than to amaze.

Mind you, to be fair: the video has a very few effects to begin with; it's mostly about teaching card magic fundamentals, sleights, and techniques.

Return to “General”