Searching for the Zen Spread

All beginners in magic should address their questions here.
dlfodness

Searching for the Zen Spread

Postby dlfodness » February 28th, 2018, 6:08 pm

In a Magicana article in an issue of Genii over ten years ago in, Jack Parker's "In, On, and Under" was described. The Zen Spread was part of that description and was in the same issue, found with the effect, "Traveling Without Moving". I have lost track of that issue of Genii. Can anyone provide a location for or a description of the Zen Spread? Thanks!

dlfodness

Re: Searching for the Zen Spread

Postby dlfodness » February 28th, 2018, 6:33 pm

Whoops! Sorry about the word "in" following the phrase, "ten years ago". Please disregard it!

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 28th, 2018, 6:49 pm

If you subscribe, you can find it online in our archive.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » February 28th, 2018, 7:50 pm

June 2006 issue, with Dai Vernon on the cover. Also in 52 Memories.

dlfodness

Postby dlfodness » February 28th, 2018, 9:24 pm

Yes, I realize I could recover the Zen Spread explanation by (re)subscribing to Genii, but I was hoping that the Zen Spread would be available elsewhere; for example, on a web site that described sleights. So, again, any help in locating it would be appreciated!

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 28th, 2018, 10:37 pm

No links (if they exist) will be posted here because the item is being taught without permission if it is being taught for free on the internet. You have to pay for things.

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » March 1st, 2018, 2:37 am

Things would become greatly complicated and tedious if you needed to get permission every time you wanted to teach something that you learned from reading books and magazines.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 1st, 2018, 10:52 am

You misunderstand my point.

Ryan Matney

Postby Ryan Matney » March 1st, 2018, 3:02 pm

But, Richard, are you SURE you can't give away your work for free? :lol:

The point of Genii having exclusive stuff is the value and incentive to subscribe.

That's not exactly the same as two magicians sharing or publishing a trick using the technique.
Get the Dirty Work - Available now at http://www.ryanmatneymagic.com

Leonard Hevia
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, Slydini, Houdini,

Postby Leonard Hevia » March 1st, 2018, 9:23 pm

If a magician publishes an effect that utilizes the Zen Spread, it still has to be purchased, whether in a download, book, magazine or DVD.The OP wants to learn this sleight without having to pay anything for it. It isn't on YouTube which is why he's having a tough time finding it for free.

dlfodness

Postby dlfodness » March 2nd, 2018, 10:10 am

I wasn't clear about my background in hoping to find the Zen Spread explanation. The previous post said that I wanted it for free and should instead pay for it. That's not actually the case. I had subscribed to Genii for many years and had saved the pages for the effect and for the Zen Spread instructions, but I have mislaid the Zen Spread page. I was just hoping it would be available in some place so I could relearn it. Sounds as if that may not be possible.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 2nd, 2018, 10:51 am

A digital subscription to Genii is only $35 and you have access to 80 years of the magazine. Worth it.

Leonard Hevia

Postby Leonard Hevia » March 3rd, 2018, 10:27 am

Richard Kaufman wrote:A digital subscription to Genii is only $35 and you have access to 80 years of the magazine. Worth it.

Hear, hear.

Philippe Billot

Postby Philippe Billot » March 4th, 2018, 8:47 am

Oyez ! Oyez !

Digital Genii 35$+ 52 Memories 50$. Two opportunities to learn the Zen Spread for 85$

Leonard Hevia

Postby Leonard Hevia » March 4th, 2018, 11:48 am

Philippe Billot wrote:Oyez ! Oyez !

Digital Genii 35$+ 52 Memories 50$. Two opportunities to learn the Zen Spread for 85$

Precisement Phillippe! And with Jack Parker's 52 Memories, you get so much more than just the Zen Spread. The OP has moved on, probably to the Cafe, where magic panhandling is rampant.

Jackpot

Postby Jackpot » March 4th, 2018, 1:02 pm

While I understand why everyone gets so fired up due to the amount of thievery that occurs on the internet, in this case I feel it is a little over the top. When you compare what he wrote about the Jack Parker issue, the OP remembered a lot about this particular issue Magicana. He had a better memory for the name of two tricks using the Zen Spread than how to accomplish the sleight. He really sounds like a former subscriber to Genii.

We all lose things and end up either having to replace them or do without. He asked for a solution to his problem and a reasonable one was given. Whether he decides to use it or not is up to him. The piling on seems unnecessary and probably makes him less rather than more likely to resubscribe.

Another great reason to subscribe to Genii digitally is because you can save specific material on your computer as a PDF. While it may be harder for some to read articles on the computer, it is even harder for someone to lose his computer than past issues of magazines. Genii iis a great buy and with the digital archive it is a fantastic buy.
Not the one who created the Potter Index.

Leonard Hevia

Postby Leonard Hevia » March 11th, 2018, 3:40 pm

Jackpot wrote:We all lose things and end up either having to replace them or do without. He asked for a solution to his problem and a reasonable one was given. Whether he decides to use it or not is up to him. The piling on seems unnecessary and probably makes him less rather than more likely to resubscribe.

He asked to find a move without paying for it. If you lose something, you buy a replacement. If the piling on turned him away from resubscribing, I would be glad to purchase an extra subscription to Genii and gift it to someone to make up for that loss.

Return to “General”