McBride Magic & Mystery School Master Class

All beginners in magic should address their questions here.
darylrogers
Favorite Magician: Jeff McBride

McBride Magic & Mystery School Master Class

Postby darylrogers » August 27th, 2013, 12:50 pm

I have just returned from a seven-day Master Class at Jeff McBride’s Magic & Mystery School in Las Vegas, and it was a fantastic experience. There were eleven students in the class, and Jeff, his wife Abbi, master close-up magician (and Dean of the School) Eugene Burger and web guru Bryce Kulhman were with us the entire time. Tobias Beckwith, Jeff’s business manager, and Larry Hass, the Associate Dean of the School, both conducted Skype sessions on their areas of expertise.

We learned a variety of skills, had lectures on all aspects of creating and marketing a successful magic show, and had numerous small groups sessions which allowed each of us time to get one-on-one assistance focused on our individual interests. Each student had a chance to explain what had brought them to the school, and to perform and receive feedback from the faculty and from each other. It wasn’t all work though, as we attended two Las Vegas magic shows, and would often go out to lunch or dinner together.

One of the highlights of the class was meeting, and chatting with, several famous and successful professional magicians, including Lance Burton, Mac King, Greg Gleason, and Johnny and Pam Thompson. As wonderful as the teaching, learning, and practicing was, the most important part of the class experience, for me, was the forging of friendship and connections with the other students and with the faculty members. All of us students now have a network of fellow magicians to call on for support.

Jeff and Eugene were friendly, accessible, informative and inspiring. Bryce was a techno-wizard who managed multiple tasks efficiently and with constant good humor. And Abbi was a most gracious host to the hoard of magicians who invaded her home. I went to the class with a lot of questions, and every question got answered. I left with even more questions, but now I have the tools I need to begin to find the answers.

It was not easy for me to attend the Master Class. It was a challenge to find the funds, it was a little scary to have to navigate my ways though unfamiliar airports and drive around Las Vegas, and it was nerve-wracking to perform my magic in front of two world-renowned professional magicians. But now that I have been through it, I cannot wait to return and do it again. I received vital insider information and have been shown a path to follow, and I know it will take me a long time to achieve all the goals that have been set out for me. As soon as I have met these goals, I will be returning to take my magic to the next level!

Return to “General”