The Most famous magic late starter

All beginners in magic should address their questions here.
Tony Drake

The Most famous magic late starter

Postby Tony Drake » January 5th, 2011, 1:05 pm

I have been interested in magic for a number of years but have only recently (relatively speaking) committed myself to learning the craft with a view to work as a children's entertainer. I'm 35 years old and was wondering am I too old to make a success of working in magic? I really after some anecdotes of inspirational Late starters who have achieved a level of fame (amongst magicians and entusiasts). I tend to hear of most magicians starting at very early ages and was just wondering if there were any stories of those starting later in life, creating new careers in the field.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Tony Drake

AKA Ali Carumba

Jim Maloney

Re: The Most famous magic late starter

Postby Jim Maloney » January 5th, 2011, 1:11 pm

Nate Leipzig and Bert Allerton both come to mind.

While Nate had been doing magic as a hobby for most of his life, he only moved into the professional arena when he was 29. Allerton picked up magic after his wife's death. I believe he was in his 50's at the time.

Eugene Burger is a more recent example -- in fact, I believe that he's cited Allerton as one of his own inspirations as someone who had changed careers later in life.

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 10th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)

Gary M Kosnitzky

Postby Gary M Kosnitzky » January 7th, 2011, 11:48 am

Age is just a number.

Doc Eason

Postby Doc Eason » January 8th, 2011, 11:40 am

When I rolled into Snowmass in the summer of my 30th year, I knew nothing about magic. Watching Bob Sheets work that night was an epiphany. I think that bringing a lifetime of experiences into the performance of magic can be a good thing. There is a level of maturity that is present that simply isn't there with a youngster who locks himself in his room with a deck of cards.

Age IS just a number.
Doc Eason
www.doceason.com
www.doceasonmagicshop.com

Return to “General”