Multiplying Candles?

All beginners in magic should address their questions here.
dlfodness

Multiplying Candles?

Postby dlfodness » September 18th, 2008, 6:48 pm

Has anyone marketed a multiplying candles effect, similar to multiplying golf balls (perhaps with the candles hinged to open apart to show multiple candles)? I've never seen one online or in a catalog, but was wondering if anyone had ever heard of such a thing. Or, has it ever been described in a book (a do-it-yourself item to make)?

I have a use for such an item but don't know about its availability. Any help would be appreciated!

Spellbinder

Re: Multiplying Candles?

Postby Spellbinder » September 18th, 2008, 10:12 pm

You can find a set of Morgan-style Multiplying Candles being made by Tim Starr and sold at Stevens Magic Emporium.

You can also find the Owen Multiplying Candles at Denny & Lee's. Just go to those sites and do a search.

If you want to try something new, making them out of PVC Pipe, Jim Gerrish did his own version called "Kwanzaa Candles" in The Wizards' Journal #7 on my site The Magic Nook, the only version that uses red, green and black candles that I know of.
Phineas Spellbinder
The Magic Nook

dlfodness

Postby dlfodness » September 19th, 2008, 9:39 am

Many thanks, Spellbinder, for the help -- it is very much appreciated! Since I posted my question, I have come across a couple of sites that sell this item (MagicGeek, The Trickery), so I now have some options.

Mats Kjellstrom
Favorite Magician: David Copperfield

Postby Mats Kjellstrom » September 21st, 2008, 4:34 am

Everything from TIM STAR is top notch:

http://www.creationsbystar.com/

Multiplying Nested Candles

plus his excellent

Star Candles - One Candle Becomes Four

Greg Edmonds

Postby Greg Edmonds » September 29th, 2008, 2:19 pm

Numerous magic manufacturers have offered them over the years, including those ranging from Abbott's to Thayer. If you own a copy of the newer DVD version of Disney's animated classic "The Sword In The Stone," look at the special features for the TV magic segment.

While the manipulator isn't identified, after Walt performs a few self-working effects, someone (inside the magic mirror) does some nice sleight of hand work with cards, billiard balls and (of course) the multiplying candles. I particularly like the "take away" move frequently seen in more modern times with foam rubber fruits or vegetables. By pretending to remove a candle each time, and reigniting [it] on the orginal flame, the illusion is created of an endless supply of lit candles which appear to be disposed of off screen.

The sequence is worth a look. Can anyone provide the name of the secret manipulator (as opposed to the actor pretending to do the manipulations)?

More recently, an on-screen actor can be seen performing the multiplying candles in one of the Harry Potter Movies (perhaps "Prisoner of Azkaban?")

Dale Shrimpton

Postby Dale Shrimpton » October 1st, 2008, 3:22 am

Spellbinder wrote:You can find a set of Morgan-style Multiplying Candles being made by Tim Starr and sold at Stevens Magic Emporium.

You can also find the Owen Multiplying Candles at Denny & Lee's. Just go to those sites and do a search.

If you want to try something new, making them out of PVC Pipe, Jim Gerrish did his own version called "Kwanzaa Candles" in The Wizards' Journal #7 on my site The Magic Nook, the only version that uses red, green and black candles that I know of.

now, that sounds interesting.I can see this having a place in a willy wonka themed act, where the " candles" are given a candy stripe, and become multiplying sticks of rock. :)

Nathan Allen

Postby Nathan Allen » June 24th, 2009, 8:44 pm

In addition to the fine suppliers mentioned above, you might want to pick up Lewis Ganson's Routined Manipulation series (there are three volumes). I believe the candles are discussed in volume 1.
-Nathan Allen
www.maniacofmagic.com

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » June 25th, 2009, 1:05 am

Greg Edmonds wrote:Numerous magic manufacturers have offered them over the years, including those ranging from Abbott's to Thayer. If you own a copy of the newer DVD version of Disney's animated classic "The Sword In The Stone," look at the special features for the TV magic segment.

While the manipulator isn't identified, after Walt performs a few self-working effects, someone (inside the magic mirror) does some nice sleight of hand work with cards, billiard balls and (of course) the multiplying candles. I particularly like the "take away" move frequently seen in more modern times with foam rubber fruits or vegetables. By pretending to remove a candle each time, and reigniting [it] on the orginal flame, the illusion is created of an endless supply of lit candles which appear to be disposed of off screen.

The sequence is worth a look. Can anyone provide the name of the secret manipulator (as opposed to the actor pretending to do the manipulations)?

More recently, an on-screen actor can be seen performing the multiplying candles in one of the Harry Potter Movies (perhaps "Prisoner of Azkaban?")

Hans Conreid was, of course, the face in the mirror. Since this was done in 1957 I would be willing to bet that there is a high probability that the manipulator was Aubrey. He had been doing the candles since he was a kid and was on You Asked For It earlier doing his routine (plus a number of other illusions that he and his father built).

The IMDB does not list anyone doing the insert work for this short even though they list all the animators.

I would suggest you compare the segment with Aubrey doing the candles on YAFI, if that segment is available. His handling was always the best.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » July 30th, 2009, 6:40 pm

I have a never used set of Georger Hammrton-made candles. Probably the highest quality nexing set of four ever made.
Any one interested in buying? Let me know.
Stay tooned.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 30th, 2009, 9:07 pm

Pete, if you want to sell something here, you have to put a price on it and follow all the Marketplace rules.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

liam a. black

Postby liam a. black » September 11th, 2009, 11:43 am

Return to “General”