Good online magic shops

All beginners in magic should address their questions here.
Robert77

Good online magic shops

Postby Robert77 » December 31st, 2022, 4:08 pm

Over the years the online magic business has changed. One big dealer was around until he ran into legal problems for example. Since that time I've lost track of recommended vs. not-so-much-recommended dealers and I'm soliciting submissions for recommended dealers.

Example of two I know of:

- Stevens Magic
- Viking Magic

katterfelt0
Favorite Magician: Depends on the day. Today, Rick Maue.

Re: Good online magic shops

Postby katterfelt0 » December 31st, 2022, 4:21 pm

Vanishing Inc is a good one.
Effect and method are inextricably linked.

AJM

Postby AJM » December 31st, 2022, 4:28 pm

Robert77 wrote:Over the years the online magic business has changed.

Has it?

According to some on here, the magic business today (online or otherwise) is exactly the same as it was when they hawked Svengali decks on a grubby pier in the north of England in the 1960’s.

Andrew

Tarotist
Favorite Magician: David Nixon

Postby Tarotist » December 31st, 2022, 5:32 pm

AJM wrote:
Robert77 wrote:Over the years the online magic business has changed.

Has it?

According to some on here, the magic business today (online or otherwise) is exactly the same as it was when they hawked Svengali decks on a grubby pier in the north of England in the 1960’s.

Andrew

If you are referring to me (and I am quite sure you are) I do NOT subscribe to the statement that the magic business is the same as it used to be. I am well aware of the changes you are referring to and I consider them as lamentable as untalented "performers" like yourself who as magicians couldn't make the contents of an empty box disappear.

The grubby pier that you referred to spawned one of the most celebrated books in the history of card magic and the most famous glove puppet in magic history. It also spawned some of the most famous people in British showbusiness. It also spawned ME. It is true that I demonstrated and SOLD thousands upon thousands of svengali decks there. Far more money was taken in during one day with that one deck of cards than the average magic shop in a theme park would take in selling hundreds of tricks. I did not "hawk" them. I SOLD them and I can STILL sell them changes or no changes, internet or no internet.

However, that is me. The changes in retail magic are the reason that what succeeded before do not succeed now for OTHER people. Not me.
As long as my tongue is still working I can STILL sell upwards of 100 decks a day. In Ireland I sold an average of 400 decks a day. However, I am not a magic shop with massive overheads trying to succeed with often unreliable staff and competition from the internet and trying to sell to members of the unwashed public. I agree there are changes and I submit that the only type of people who can survive these changes are the same type of people who know how to survive on grubby piers in Blackpool.

AJM

Postby AJM » December 31st, 2022, 5:46 pm

Mark

You are an easy mark.

Never fails.

Happy New Year!

Andrew

XXX

P.S. And that ‘empty box’ gag gets me every time.
Last edited by AJM on December 31st, 2022, 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Robert77

Postby Robert77 » December 31st, 2022, 5:49 pm

Come on guys I was just asking an honest question. In the Beginners Forum even :)

Tarotist
Favorite Magician: David Nixon

Postby Tarotist » December 31st, 2022, 6:02 pm

Robert77 wrote:Over the years the online magic business has changed. One big dealer was around until he ran into legal problems for example. Since that time I've lost track of recommended vs. not-so-much-recommended dealers and I'm soliciting submissions for recommended dealers.

Example of two I know of:

- Stevens Magic
- Viking Magic

I recommend the Browser's Den of Magic in Toronto. Here is their website:
https://www.browsersden.com/

katterfelt0
Favorite Magician: Depends on the day. Today, Rick Maue.

Postby katterfelt0 » December 31st, 2022, 6:15 pm

Effect and method are inextricably linked.

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » January 1st, 2023, 2:27 pm

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Penguin Magic. I have found their prices to be at least as low, and in most cases lower, than other online magic vendors, and they offer free shipping on every item, irrespective of price.

Return to “General”