Fearson's Box Levitation

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.
Robert McDaniel

Fearson's Box Levitation

Postby Robert McDaniel » February 26th, 2003, 9:41 am

Does anyone make a nicer version of this for sell as opposed to using a plastic milk container?

Thanks!
Robert McDaniel

Re: Fearson's Box Levitation

Postby Guest » February 26th, 2003, 2:45 pm

You could visit Mr.Fearsons site download magic.com and download the instructions to build your own, then you could build it however you like. But before you do that let me say that I perform this and built it as suggested and I think the beauty of this prop is that it is something the audience is used to seeing and encounters in everyday life. I present this as my latest invention, and had a sign profesionally made that is placed in front of it and is almost big enough to completely obstruct it from view.
After talking up "my latest invention" I remove the sign,which reads Anti-gravity box and the sight of this jimmy-rigged looking device is very comical.( ala Back to the Future)The fact that thiswas pieced together from everyday objects makes all that more incredible when you do break the bonds of gravity. I have been performing this effect for about 3 or 4 months now and it kills every time. :eek:

Postby Guest » March 2nd, 2003, 5:38 am

I agree that the strength of this is that it doesn't resemble anything purchased at a magic shop (no dragon decals stencils, hologram tape, etc.).

I could easily see David Blaine walking down some street in the Bronx and stopping someone to "show them something cool" with trah he just happened to find there.

To answer the original question I have seen something on Hocus-Pocus website that resembles Mr. Frearson's effect but it suffers from the very problem mentioned in the above paragraph. It looks suspicious and therfore gets into Erdnase land in oother words you don't want the audience to "suspect, let alone, detect" the method.

Pete

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » March 2nd, 2003, 9:13 am

Take the old "Grant Self Levitation" (paper bag, stool and cloth) and think hard about it, and get hi-tech with some mechanical work and you would have a miracle.

Andre Kole has an awesome verson as well.

I designed one for Finn Jon (and totally independantly Christian Fechner in Soirees Fantastique, came up with the same idea).

You need to be on a stage with a backdrop, however.

You use a counterbalanced pole with a bicycle seat. Pole comes out of curtain and you are sitting on it. Assistant (big one) lifts you off the floor. This was intened to be a short segment during his floating ball routine... where, for a few seconds he rises up as the ball rises up.

The KEY here (and with ony of these) DO NOT BE GREEDY... don't float and float and float...

Like the dancing cane...a FEW SECONDS IS LONG ENOUGH... :genii:
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » March 2nd, 2003, 10:45 am

Originally posted by Pete Biro:
Andre Kole has an awesome verson as well.
I assume Pete is referring to "No Feet" here. This is one of my all-time favorite illusions. It totally fried me the two times I saw it performed many years ago. One of those illusions that rattled about in my memory for many years before the method finally dawned on me. Very, very clever means employed of obscuring the modus operandi.

(On second thought, perhaps this is not the effect Pete was referring to. "No Feet" is really an envanishment of the lower legs, rather than a levitation proper. I guess I'm just eager for a chance to tout the praises of one of my favorite illusions...)

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » March 2nd, 2003, 8:56 pm

Yep, the NO FEET... isn't that a great effect? :genii:
Stay tooned.

David Garrity

Postby David Garrity » March 3rd, 2003, 8:01 am

Pete,

Is the Grant Self Levitation written up somewhere? If so, do you happen to know the title?

Thanks...
David Garrity
www.MagicalArtist.com

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » March 3rd, 2003, 9:57 am

I "thik" U.F. Grant had it in a little manuscript, and MAYBE in his book on suspensions and levitations.
Stay tooned.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » March 3rd, 2003, 10:01 am

Dave: I tried to email you but you are blocked? Email me pete@petebiro.com for info you desire.
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » November 27th, 2006, 7:39 am

I just got my plans for fearsons box and i need someone to answer some questions about the gimick in the box. I am new to this site and i don't know if the secrets are disscussed openly so if someone can e-mail me that would be gtreat. My e-mail is rdhosler@gmail.com

Postby Guest » November 27th, 2006, 8:40 am

The grant suspension is in the Bruce Armstrong encyclopedia of suspensions and levetations.
Its a great effect if done well.
I used it a few years ago in Panto, in a production of Aladin . (Its a very difficult one to teach to lays, when they dont understand the whys. :) )

Return to “Platform & Stage Magic”