cards as weapons

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.

cards as weapons

Postby Guest » March 8th, 2002, 2:59 pm

cards as weapons by ricky jay=too expensive! even the used ones dont go under $2oo!!! Does anybody know another book about card throwing?

Earle Oakes

Re: cards as weapons

Postby Earle Oakes » March 8th, 2002, 4:18 pm

Joe,
CARDS AS WEAPONS by RICKY JAY.
I have the soft cover Warner Books Edition printed in 1988.
It is in Mint Condition.
Email me an offer under $200.
EOakesArtist@webtv.net
Regards,Earle

Brisbin

Postby Brisbin » March 9th, 2002, 12:39 am

There are many references to throwing or "scaling" cards available in the general magic books at your local library. I bought my first copy of "Cards as Weapons" when I was fifteen. I was captivated by the author's dry sense of humor, and his use of subtle and obscure references on topics ranging from history and philosophy to Japanese cinema. A very compelling aspect of the book for me was the photo illustrations. Mr. Jay detailed his "stances" and grips for throwing playing cards by using an attractive and completely nude female model. That is an entirely different kind of magic! ;)
"No Dough, No Show" - Stan Kramien
"What the mind harbors, the body manifests." - Tohei Koichi

Brad A._dup1

Postby Brad A._dup1 » March 10th, 2002, 12:02 am

I'm sure the photographs helped you make the buying decision at your age :)

I've seen Cards as Weapons go on ebay for less than $50. The Magic Castle has a few copies too.

-brad
Former Vonnegut Character

Postby Guest » March 10th, 2002, 8:15 am

too bad im on the exact opposite side of te country from the magic castle :( oh well ill keep lookin

Brisbin

Postby Brisbin » March 10th, 2002, 4:56 pm

Dear MentalJoe: Although I am now of the school of thought that secrets need to be kept, I see nothing wrong in giving you some references for card-tossing that you may look up. Many of these are older titles that you can find at the public library, while you save for the more sensational and illusive text you seek: Professor Hoffman's Modern Magic (1887 - reprinted); T. Nelson Downs - "The Art of Magic" (1909 - currently available in an inexpensive Dover edition); Jean Hugard & Fred. Braue's "The Royal Road to Card Magic" (1949 - also readily available in reprinted forms). You can even check Tarbell Volume 4 for the flashy long distance spinner technique from Audley Walsh.

If these references point the way for your mastery of card-throwing and gratuitous exhibition of skill, you're welcome. I will remain a keeper of secrets by not revealing the deadly "Wave Slash" technique of Ogami Itto, as adapted by Mr. Jay for use with an ordinary pack of cards.
"No Dough, No Show" - Stan Kramien

"What the mind harbors, the body manifests." - Tohei Koichi

Postby Guest » March 11th, 2002, 12:48 pm

NUDE MAGIC!

Finally! An artform we can all enjoy!

Don Spurrier

Postby Don Spurrier » March 11th, 2002, 5:08 pm

Nicholas: You might want to check out EXPERT CARD MYSTERIES by Al Sharpe. For 1969, it was a stunner. Under a nude drawing was, "...a magnificent card trick must not be unlike a magnificent woman- each should be hip, joyous and beautiful, and have proportion, symmetry, rythym, and a poetry that speaks lovingly to one and all."

Return to “Platform & Stage Magic”