On the Occasion of Star Wars Day Today: Any Topical Tricks You Perform?

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.
Zig Zagger
Favorite Magician: Aldo Colombini

On the Occasion of Star Wars Day Today: Any Topical Tricks You Perform?

Postby Zig Zagger » May 4th, 2020, 5:07 pm

Yes, it's Star Wars Day today: the 4th of May (because of the epic quote "May the Force be with you." Nerdy, really nerdy...)

I'm sure there must be lots of topical magic presentations out there, from packet tricks to parlor to grand illusions and, of course, levitations!

Here are some older funny videos of Tenyo tricks with Star Wars figurines and spaceships, like Yoda on the Antigravity Rock, by two notoriously creative YouTube magicians, japanmagic and Magic Patagonia:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ca6mWRkcSd0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWTH4Q35td8

And here's a dramatic fanboy presentation for parlor that I have just found, and it made me smile:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOx3VgzCK6o

I hesitate to admit it, but lightyears ago I had a rather off-beat Star Wars-themed Card Duck routine, the duck representing an early, less lethal version of the Death Star. Nonetheless, the rebels had to feed the duck some kind of (drawn and signed) food bomb. By the power of THE FORCE, the duck actually picked the bomb when she was supposed to take on provision from a cargo spaceship... and then she blew up through gastrospasms (figuratively, as I was on a budget). Lord Vader, stroking his rubber duck, had a bad day and breathed heavily... Mission completed! (Play soundtrack here and fade out.)

So, what kind of Star Wars tricks do you perform or know of? Sharing you must, young Jedi! :D
Tricks, tips, news, interviews, musings and fun stuff: Have a look at our English-German magic blog! http://www.zzzauber.com
Advancing the art in magic one post at a time (yeah, right!)

Curtis Kam

Re: On the Occasion of Star Wars Day Today: Any Topical Tricks You Perform?

Postby Curtis Kam » May 4th, 2020, 5:38 pm

I just discovered a way to repurpose the old “napkin bunny” from the Gardner Encyclopedia.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Zig Zagger

Postby Zig Zagger » May 5th, 2020, 5:48 pm

Loving it! Thank you, Mr Kam!

Apparantly, the Trekkies form the majority here...
Tricks, tips, news, interviews, musings and fun stuff: Have a look at our English-German magic blog! http://www.zzzauber.com

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » May 8th, 2020, 8:11 am

My repertoire is Star Wars-less, but it would be fun to come up with a presentation. I'm thinking card routine due to the adaptability of court cards to characters. I will check-in with you next May 4th, Zig Zagger, in the event I have come up with anything.

Meanwhile, Curtis's funny post featuring the napkin bunny reminded me that when I was regularly doing restaurant work, I rarely missed an opportunity to make the napkin bunny for children. After suitable by-play, and some very bad ventriloquism, the cards would be spread out on the table. Bunny would then sort through the cards in a frenzy and find the chosen card. If there was just one kid, the card was then signed by the bunny with a Sharpie: "To ______ from Magic Bunny."

Actually, while writing this very post, another idea that would feature Magic Bunny occurred to me. It would probably need to be the closing effect, however. It would entail switching in a one-way forcing deck, “shuffling” and having a card selected and “lost” in the deck; then tossing the deck into a paper bag, closing it up, and having the kid(s) shake it. The bag would then be opened, and Bunny would dive in, go to town and emerge triumphantly with the selection. Before leaving the table, I could then whisper a special, personalized magical message to the child: “Tell mommy and daddy to give some money to Magic Bunny so he can buy some carrots.”

Edward Pungot

Postby Edward Pungot » May 8th, 2020, 10:00 am

I picture Kam's Table Napkin Yoda doing a coin trick. The one that comes to mind is by Malini in Vernon's book with a half dollar and quarter, with the handkerchief wraped around the hands and fingers. Perhaps a Jedi hand and eye exercise. Mind over matter sort of thing.

Zig Zagger

Postby Zig Zagger » May 9th, 2020, 3:23 am

Lovely ideas, gentlemen, thank you for sharing!

Alfred, I'm already looking forward to your Palpatine's Pack packet trick, AnniVader's Waltz or whatever your creative mind will come up with!

Or how about a version of Scotch and Yoda?

Tom Moore

Postby Tom Moore » May 9th, 2020, 11:10 am

Jay Mattioli had his Steinmeyer / Gaughnan Pole Levitation reworked to a star wars theme (finally making the jacket look logical) with some added flourishes- it’s worth watching if you ever get the chance.
"Ingenious" - Ben Brantley: New York Times

thomasmoorecreative

Return to “Platform & Stage Magic”