Handing the spectator a knife question

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.
erdnasephile

Handing the spectator a knife question

Postby erdnasephile » July 8th, 2019, 2:21 pm

I'm planning a performance of a bill in fruit routine using a method where I have the option of allowing the spectator to cut open the fruit. I've studied routines of others well-posted magicians who employ this strategy (Richardson, Alexander, etc.) and it seems feasible.

However, although this idea would seem to pose some presentational problems and also exposes the performer to risks should the spectator fumble and cut themselves. I'm only considering doing this because the one of the big things the audience has to be convinced of for a BIF routine is that the fruit must be genuinely sealed and that the performing isn't using a trick knife or slipping the bill in when they cut. Allowing the spectator to cut wipes out all that.

I'm wondering if any of you has done this, and what your experience has been. Specifically, have any of your spectators ever been injured? Did allowing them to cut the fruit hamper the climax and timing? Were there any particular advantages in allowing the spectator to do this? Does it make any difference at all in how your audience perceives the routine?

Thanks!

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Handing the spectator a knife question

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 8th, 2019, 4:06 pm

Do NOT hand the spectator a knife.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » July 8th, 2019, 6:33 pm

I agree. Do not hand the spectator a knife, you're asking for a liability law suit if the spectator is hurt (or even if he or she isn't, if he or she are jerks). I don't think the method or effect is harmed if you do the cutting.

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » July 9th, 2019, 1:20 pm

Plus if you travel with a knife, airport security is another potential problem.

AJM

Postby AJM » July 9th, 2019, 2:15 pm

Do you think a chainsaw would be acceptable then?

webbmaster
Favorite Magician: richard Kaufmann

Postby webbmaster » February 27th, 2020, 1:16 pm

Same with the scissors for a cut and restored rope trick. I once had a young lady with mental conditions up to help and I said "just stand here over the trapdoor (an old line)" and she started swinging the scissors around yelling "Trapdoor? Trapdoor?". Indeed.

performer

Postby performer » February 27th, 2020, 4:53 pm

I have seen Paul Potassy hand a spectator a knife and he seems in his patter to make bloody sure they don't stab him instead of the cards he is holding. I would be nervous to do it but I think it works if you are very careful and I imagine the key to it is to be selective in which spectator you would use. I could never have used it when I worked the London night clubs years ago. The audiences were full of drunks and I wouldn't want to take the chance.

It is neither necessary or advisable to do it for the Bill in Lemon though.

Return to “Platform & Stage Magic”