Silk to flower on Lapel

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.
Jeffrey Korst

Silk to flower on Lapel

Postby Jeffrey Korst » March 26th, 2018, 12:44 am

Hi, all-

This involves a reel attached under the lapel. The thread goes through the lapel and then threaded through the silk (half a silk, cut diagonally?) in a way that when the reel pulls the silk, it jumps to the lapel forming into a flower on the way.

Trying to find how to thread the silk. I have a vague memory of it but so far, can't find a source.

Ring any bells anyone?

Thanks very much,

Jeffrey

Spellbinder

Re: Silk to flower on Lapel

Postby Spellbinder » April 1st, 2018, 12:19 am

Rice's Encyclopedia of Silk Magic, Volume 1 describes a spiral fold that would work in reverse by pulling a thread through it. In the same volume, Max Holden's Silk to Rose can be used by simply pulling a pleat-folded silk up into the green leaves. The other method is a ribbon that pulls up into a rose and that is simply a spiral of the thread through the ribbon. If you insist on using a silk handkerchief, you probably should use a diamond cut silk for the best effect.
Phineas Spellbinder
The Magic Nook

Jeffrey Korst

Postby Jeffrey Korst » April 2nd, 2018, 8:37 pm

Thanks, I'll see what I can find in Rice.

Best,

Jeffrey

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » April 3rd, 2018, 9:16 am

There was a flower to silk item with a pin-on holder (almost a silk winder) that was used to let the performer pull the flower from his lapel and have it open up into a handkerchief. Doing that in reverse with a reel is more tricky - starting with the hank and ... well here's the latest update on that item : http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S22769
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Jeffrey Korst

Postby Jeffrey Korst » April 4th, 2018, 3:01 am

Thanks, everyone. I found what I was looking for. The friend with a copy of Rice didn't find the effect Spellbinder mentioned, but did find a thread elsewhere that pointed me to the lecture notes of Peter Gloviczki which is what I was remembering.

It is a triangle cut silk and shows how the thread gets passed through it to form the flower. The ribbon won't work for what I have in mind.

I'll check out the thing Jonathan mentions, but the one review doesn't sound too promising.

Thanks again,

Jeffrey

Return to “Platform & Stage Magic”