I Need Tip Over Trunk plans - Assuming Osborne?

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.
Air Weaver
Favorite Magician: Tommy Wonder

I Need Tip Over Trunk plans - Assuming Osborne?

Postby Air Weaver » March 9th, 2018, 7:20 am

First time posting here, but not new to magic. I am new to illusion building, however. I have a pretty complete woodshop, and I am looking to make a tip over trunk.

The specific usage for this trunk will be in a high school musical. Due to the way we're staging the scene, I do not want to build a double trunk. It won't be presented as if we were in a magic show. It will be on stage blending in with other scenery and props, and right before the appearance, it will be "accidentally" tipped forward and shown empty.

So, basic, old school, wooden crate looking trunk.

I am about to buy the Paul Osborne Workshop plans. Can I assume this is the gold standard for what I want?

tulane

Re: I Need Tip Over Trunk plans - Assuming Osborne?

Postby tulane » March 9th, 2018, 9:50 am

Maybe rent one from a local magician? There are tons of these sitting in storage lockers and garages. I'm sure they'd appreciate the opportunity to earn some cash for doing nothing.

lybrary

Postby lybrary » March 9th, 2018, 9:58 am

As an alternative I suggest the one from Rupesh Thakur https://www.lybrary.com/tipover-trunk-p-697428.html
Lybrary.com Magic & Gambling
preserving magic one book at a time

Air Weaver

Postby Air Weaver » March 9th, 2018, 12:10 pm

lybrary wrote:As an alternative I suggest the one from Rupesh Thakur https://www.lybrary.com/tipover-trunk-p-697428.html

Thansk for the recommendation. Can you say why you like this one particularly?

Air Weaver

Postby Air Weaver » March 9th, 2018, 12:12 pm

tulane wrote:Maybe rent one from a local magician? There are tons of these sitting in storage lockers and garages. I'm sure they'd appreciate the opportunity to earn some cash for doing nothing.

I live in the middle of nowhere PA. Finding one within a reasonable driving distance that would also qualify by looking right for the scene could become an expense of time that I prefer to put into the shop. I have always wanted to build one anyway, and I need it to look right in the scene.

lybrary

Postby lybrary » March 9th, 2018, 12:14 pm

Air Weaver wrote:Thansk for the recommendation. Can you say why you like this one particularly?

I am not an illusion builder and don't have an opinion one way or another. I am sharing this simply as an alternative to check out.
Lybrary.com Magic & Gambling
preserving magic one book at a time

Tom Moore

Postby Tom Moore » March 9th, 2018, 5:02 pm

I would point out that the osborne plans are not really what you'd call "plans" - they're usually a couple of pages of 2D hand drawn sketches with some dimensions (but not others) and few proper construction method notes but with a huge caveat which basically says "make this in cardboard first to make sure it will work and iron out all the kinks" - They are really more of a jumping off point to provide you with an outline of the construction rather than anything that would normally be considered plans.

I'm not familiar with the Rupesh plans specifically but since they claim to have 3D models and run to 27 pages they would seem to be a much more comprehensive and traditional set of plans than the osborne ones generally were.
"Ingenious" - Ben Brantley: New York Times

thomasmoorecreative

webbmaster
Favorite Magician: richard Kaufmann

Postby webbmaster » February 27th, 2020, 4:00 pm

The Tip-Over-Trunk is not very angle-proof. There is a trick with large cardboard boxes, ...one fits into the other and they can for flat. I saw this in the Mark Wilson Course. Maybe take a peek.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 27th, 2020, 4:03 pm

Grant's Victory Carton Illusions. I think that's the title.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Return to “Platform & Stage Magic”