Hmmmmm...

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.
erdnasephile

Hmmmmm...

Postby erdnasephile » March 1st, 2018, 9:17 pm

performer

Re: Hmmmmm...

Postby performer » March 1st, 2018, 10:24 pm

I think this is an awful idea for a children's show.

Well, you did ask..............................

I.M. Magician
Favorite Magician: All of the very best!

Postby I.M. Magician » March 1st, 2018, 11:09 pm

There is so much I want to say but I think OY! will do the trick.

Christopher1979
Favorite Magician: Ricky Jay, Dai Vernon, Darwin Ortiz, Ed Marlo

Postby Christopher1979 » March 1st, 2018, 11:58 pm

If we were living in 1988 no one would even hint that something was wrong with this. Everyone is so over sensitive to EVERYTHING these days.
Auctions & Consignment for Historic Memorabilia and Collectibles
https://www.britannicauctions.com/magic-collectibles/

observer
Favorite Magician: Harry Kellar - Charlie Miller - Paul Rosini - Jay Marshall

Postby observer » March 2nd, 2018, 3:35 am

Accidentally listed one month prematurely? I think so ... even though those quotations at the end are mighty persuasive -- especially the one about increasing bookings by 800% ........

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » March 2nd, 2018, 6:20 am

observer wrote:Accidentally listed one month prematurely? I think so ... even though those quotations at the end are mighty persuasive -- especially the one about increasing bookings by 800% ........

Ha! I thought it was an April Fools' gag as well, but apparently it actually rings up in the shopping cart, so perhaps not?

brianarudolph

Postby brianarudolph » March 2nd, 2018, 6:54 am

And to think heretofore many magicians have only done their wiz s(ch)tick figuratively.

performer

Postby performer » March 2nd, 2018, 6:59 am

Christopher1979 wrote:If we were living in 1988 no one would even hint that something was wrong with this. Everyone is so over sensitive to EVERYTHING these days.

I was alive in 1988 and I would still have said this was an awful idea. And I would have said it in 1978, 1968. And I will say it in the future too. There should be no vulgarity on stage whether for children or adults. Alas standards have gone down even more lately. I have even seen to my absolute horror magicians using profanity on stage. The second you do that is the second you are a bad magician and in fact in some countries it is actually illegal. And so it should be.

AJM

Postby AJM » March 2nd, 2018, 7:02 am

I think urine for trouble if you use that during a show.

However I suppose there is an argument that it could keep your act flowing.

Christopher1979

Postby Christopher1979 » March 2nd, 2018, 8:43 am

I agree with you completely but I hardly think this vulgar. Just a bit of playground humour which is a big difference. It’s the sort of thing you would a clown use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AJM

Postby AJM » March 2nd, 2018, 9:05 am

Penguin should do a lecture on the use of this prop.

Certainly would be ideal for live streaming.

Oh please yourselves....

Leonard Hevia
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, Slydini, Houdini,

Postby Leonard Hevia » March 2nd, 2018, 9:10 am

If the plan is to drench the tykes, better to walk on stage with a Super Soaker...that will get the job done better.

If ever a wiz there was...

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » March 2nd, 2018, 9:54 am

"...the magicians points the wand into the crownd and water soaks the kids and the magicians yellow out – Wait! That’s not THREE that’s PEA!"

Leads one to wonder, was this a typo, a Freudian slip or an intentional pun?

If I didn't know I was reading ad copy from Stevens Magic, I would have thought this was from a Saturday Night Live Script parodying kids show magicians. I think the only 800% increase in bookings to be garnered by a magician who actually uses this will be from the books flung at him/her by the furious parents.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » March 2nd, 2018, 10:15 am

The ad's a fun read. Maybe a month early, agreed. Thanks... In the near future reference to this item could play for audiences - recall the fireball shooting wand?
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 2nd, 2018, 12:06 pm

I think it's a gag.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Anthony Vinson

Postby Anthony Vinson » March 2nd, 2018, 3:06 pm

Yeah, it's a gag, and a good one too!

From near the bottom of the ad: WARNING: people over 50 (or with any history of prostate issues) consider adding your all new Magic Wand Catheter and Bag Combo (SKU: SME-12764). Sold Separately.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » March 2nd, 2018, 4:20 pm

Someone needs to purchase one just to find out... (or email Mark)

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » March 2nd, 2018, 5:19 pm

A performer at the recent Family Entertainer of the Year Competition at Blackpool produced a turd as part of his act.

performer

Postby performer » March 2nd, 2018, 11:26 pm

It doesn't surprise me. Blackpool is a special place. The whole town is full of turds. You get used to it when you live there as i did.

Christopher1979

Postby Christopher1979 » March 3rd, 2018, 12:12 am

performer wrote:It doesn't surprise me. Blackpool is a special place. The whole town is full of turds. You get used to it when you live there as i did.

Haha, i lived in blackpool for many years (..........................................) fill in the rest!

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » March 3rd, 2018, 2:33 am

I was at a preschool/elementary children's show a few years ago when the performer lit up a cigarette and took a drag on it.

performer

Postby performer » March 3rd, 2018, 6:28 am

Christopher1979 wrote:
performer wrote:It doesn't surprise me. Blackpool is a special place. The whole town is full of turds. You get used to it when you live there as i did.

Haha, i lived in blackpool for many years (..........................................) fill in the rest!

Blackpool is an awful place. However, I have lived in many cities. Blackpool was easily the best place I ever took up residence in. You either love it or hate it. I loved it. They tell me it has changed. I bet it hasn't.

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » March 3rd, 2018, 10:28 am

I have a good mind to call up Stevens Magic with a revenge spoof. Tell them that it is the World-Wide Director for Member Relations of the International Brotherhood of Magicians, that we think the Wee Wee Wand is fantastic, and that we want to obtain upwards of 100,000 thousand units as gifts for each our members for the next holiday season. The pangs they feel over the incalculable lost profits should serve as poetic justice - either that, or they will be frantically scrambling for a manufacturer. Course, I may need a good attorney when IBM and Stevens join forces in a lawsuit after tracking me down. Well, there are always those disposable cell phones...
Last edited by MagicbyAlfred on March 3rd, 2018, 10:37 am, edited 3 times in total.

Leonard Hevia
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, Slydini, Houdini,

Postby Leonard Hevia » March 3rd, 2018, 10:31 am

MagicbyAlfred wrote:I have a good mind to call up Stevens Magic with a revenge spoof. Tell them that it is the World-Wide Director for Member Relations of the International Brotherhood of Magicians, that we think the Wee Wee Wand is fantastic, and that we want to obtain upwards of 100,000 units as gifts for each our members for the next holiday season. The pangs they feel over the incalculable lost profits should serve as poetic justice - either that, or they will be frantically scrambling for a manufacturer. Course, I may need a good attorney when IBM and Stevens join forces in a lawsuit after tracking me down. Well, there are always those disposable cell phones...

Ha, ha! Get your burner phone Alfred, and go for it!

Tom Moore

Postby Tom Moore » March 3rd, 2018, 10:51 am

A performer at the recent Family Entertainer of the Year Competition at Blackpool produced a turd as part of his act.

In his defence it was an emoji poop, it was presented as mischief/something that shouldn't be done & he did win the competition so clearly he's on to something.
"Ingenious" - Ben Brantley: New York Times

thomasmoorecreative

I.M. Magician
Favorite Magician: All of the very best!

Postby I.M. Magician » March 3rd, 2018, 11:44 am

There is something to be said about doing something inappropriate to make a point but I am not going to say it.

Thank you very much!

Christopher1979

Postby Christopher1979 » March 3rd, 2018, 11:44 am

performer wrote:
Christopher1979 wrote:

Blackpool is an awful place. However, I have lived in many cities. Blackpool was easily the best place I ever took up residence in. You either love it or hate it. I loved it. They tell me it has changed. I bet it hasn't.

I must admit, i did meet some great people in Blackpool. Its the Stag and Hen/Drinking/cheap and tacky culture that spoils it.

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » March 3rd, 2018, 11:49 am

Leo Wrote: "Ha, ha! Get your burner phone Alfred, and go for it!"

That might just be all the encouragement I need.

Q. Kumber

Postby Q. Kumber » March 3rd, 2018, 12:59 pm

Tom Moore wrote:

In his defence it was an emoji poop, it was presented as mischief/something that shouldn't be done & he did win the competition so clearly he's on to something.

Tom, I don't agree that he's on to something by using a turd, and as you say, 'shouldn't be done'. Apart from the turd production, his act was very good and he doesn't need it. In fact, all it will do, if he continues to use it, is limit places he will work.

Paul Daniels used use a line that I always found amusing, but slightly rude. One night after performing at one of London's top hotels, a well-known theatre director congratulated him on his performance and referenced the line, "… that line … you don't need it." And he never used it again - and it was Paul himself who told me that.

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » March 3rd, 2018, 2:43 pm

Many years ago my very knowledgeable friend and mentor admonished me: "Alfred, don't use crude or blue humor. They might even laugh, and think it's funny, but they'll never hire you again." I took heed of that advice.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » March 3rd, 2018, 3:46 pm

Q. Kumber wrote:
Tom Moore wrote:

Tom, I don't agree that he's on to something by using a turd, and as you say, 'shouldn't be done'. Apart from the turd production, his act was very good and he doesn't need it. In fact, all it will do, if he continues to use it, is limit places he will work.

Back in the mid-70's, a local So Cal magician had a single curse word in his act--which was apparently unusual for family entertainers back then.

Stan Allen was discussing this with our performance group, and while he framed this as a legitimate artistic choice, Stan made exactly the same point as Q.

Tom Moore

Postby Tom Moore » March 3rd, 2018, 3:54 pm

In fact, all it will do, if he continues to use it, is limit places he will work.

As i understand it act he did was straight from his regular working show (as opposed to some of the other competitors who had clearly made a "competition act") where he's employed on regular contracts with some proper household name family brands (Butlins, Centre Parcs, various theme parks) and regular BBC appearances so whilst there may be a debate as to whether poop emoji's, singing about wearing underwear on your head and fart jokes are something any member here would do there can be little doubt that he is making it work and doesn't seem to be loosing jobs or prestige because of it.

thomasmoorecreative

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » March 3rd, 2018, 4:08 pm

Maybe what is considered "family entertainment" in the locales where he works has a different meaning than what it does for the families I have been acquainted with in the U.S. And I doubt that any client that puts a premium on good taste would hire (or rehire) him.

Q. Kumber

Postby Q. Kumber » March 3rd, 2018, 5:10 pm

Tom, could you please explain what a poop emoji is please.

Jonathan Townsend

it's trending - poo-rile :(

Postby Jonathan Townsend » March 3rd, 2018, 5:51 pm

Seems it's a thing in toys this year somehow- purile - spelled with two o's ?

https://boingboing.net/2018/02/25/poo-y ... -fair.html

https://www.fastcompany.com/3037803/the ... to-america
Last edited by Jonathan Townsend on March 3rd, 2018, 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Q. Kumber

Postby Q. Kumber » March 3rd, 2018, 5:56 pm

Q. Kumber wrote:Tom, could you please explain what a poop emoji is please.

I ask because it sounds like you mean a two-dimensional drawing. The performer produced a series of items from under a cup, the last being a three dimensional turd, which, I'm 99% sure he referred to as 'poo'.

Your friend is very talented and I think it is a shame that he uses what I call 'gutter' material in his shows as he is much better than that. If he gets all the bookings you refer to it is not because of the 'turd' but in spite of it.

Tom Moore

Postby Tom Moore » March 3rd, 2018, 6:53 pm

I've just watched his act back (the official video is online) to make sure it was as i remember. I suggest before anyone else criticizes his act they take the time to watch it as considerably more is being made of it written down here than actually features in the routine.
Poop emoji is a very very widely used emoji, soft toy versions of it were a big on-trend Christmas present, it's widely used in communication across all messaging platforms and is the go-to-shorthand for something a little bit naughty and forbidden without being too extreme. In the routine that is EXACTLY how it is presented (the child is lead to think of producing something a little bit naughty) and it fits the context in which it is presented.

"Friend" is a big word, i think I've spent 10mins in my entire life speaking to him and that was to share our mutual concern that 95% of the "kids magic" props on sale at the convention were all either Supreme props or props based on that 50 year old aesthetic which had ZERO connection to a modern audience yet so many magicians were passionately buying them.

Out of curiosity i googled other videos of his performances (in Butlins, Centre Parcs, BBC, etc) and I noted that his logo is actually a pair of underpants, his act features fart gags and a song encouraging children to put their underwear on their heads, death, spraying people with toilet paper, child cancer.... it's safe to say that his entire persona is based on childish silly mildly taboo material and he's getting all the big bookings. If his material really is holding him back then I would be scared to know what level of global domination he could achieve if he dropped the poop joke?

thomasmoorecreative

Q. Kumber

Postby Q. Kumber » March 3rd, 2018, 7:22 pm

Tom, I appreciate your detailed reply. Thank you. I assumed you were a friend as you knew so much about his work. Apologies for being mistaken.

Your last paragraph encapsulates everything I detest in 'children's entertainment'. I've always believed that good family entertainment shows the audience the stars, not the gutter. But, as you point out, he has a diary full of bookings, so good luck to him.

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » March 4th, 2018, 1:58 am

Christopher1979 wrote:I agree with you completely but I hardly think this vulgar. Just a bit of playground humour which is a big difference. It’s the sort of thing you would a clown use

Vulgar:
"lacking sophistication or good taste; unrefined."
or
"making explicit and offensive reference to sex or bodily functions; coarse and rude"

Whether it's offensive or not may be a matter of opinion, but it's definitely vulgar.

It's probably worth contrasting this with KFC UK's recent ad apologizing for having to close their stores when they ran out of chicken. They published full page ads with an empty bucket, only the letters of the logo on the bucket were rearranged to read FCK.

To me that seems a perfect example of using a vulgarity in a way that was not offensive. Not sure how I feel about the pee wand. That just seems juvenile in a way that's on par with the bra trick. It's not the pee part that I find offensive, it's that it's a really lame gag.

But I can see how someone who's never changed a diaper (or someone who's changed too many) could find it offensive on the face of it.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » March 4th, 2018, 9:36 am

FWIW, SME confirms the wand is an actual item for sale.

Return to “Platform & Stage Magic”