Hmmmmm...

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.
Christopher1979
Favorite Magician: Ricky Jay, Dai Vernon, Darwin Ortiz, Ed Marlo

Re: Hmmmmm...

Postby Christopher1979 » March 4th, 2018, 10:58 am

Bill Duncan wrote:
Christopher1979 wrote:I agree with you completely but I hardly think this vulgar. Just a bit of playground humour which is a big difference. It’s the sort of thing you would a clown use

Vulgar:
"lacking sophistication or good taste; unrefined."
or
"making explicit and offensive reference to sex or bodily functions; coarse and rude"

Whether it's offensive or not may be a matter of opinion, but it's definitely vulgar.

It's probably worth contrasting this with KFC UK's recent ad apologizing for having to close their stores when they ran out of chicken. They published full page ads with an empty bucket, only the letters of the logo on the bucket were rearranged to read FCK.

To me that seems a perfect example of using a vulgarity in a way that was not offensive. Not sure how I feel about the pee wand. That just seems juvenile in a way that's on par with the bra trick. It's not the pee part that I find offensive, it's that it's a really lame gag.

But I can see how someone who's never changed a diaper (or someone who's changed too many) could find it offensive on the face of it.

Juvenile is exactly it, that was my meaning of "playground humour".
Auctions & Consignment for Historic Memorabilia and Collectibles
https://www.britannicauctions.com/magic-collectibles/

AJM

Postby AJM » March 4th, 2018, 11:50 am

ju·ve·nile
[joo-vuh-nl, -nahyl]

ADJECTIVE
of, pertaining to, characteristic of, or suitable or intended for young persons: juvenile books.
young; youthful: juvenile years.
immature; childish; infantile: His juvenile tantrums are not in keeping with his age

I'm not arguing with anyone, I just like it when we feel the need to add word definitions to our posts.....

Andrew

Leonard Hevia
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, Slydini, Houdini,

Postby Leonard Hevia » March 4th, 2018, 11:58 am

If you have changed the diaper of a baby boy, it's kinda like that Stevens wand: A nasty surprise in your face.

Christopher1979
Favorite Magician: Ricky Jay, Dai Vernon, Darwin Ortiz, Ed Marlo

Postby Christopher1979 » March 4th, 2018, 12:48 pm

Leonard Hevia wrote:If you have changed the diaper of a baby boy, it's kinda like that Stevens wand: A nasty surprise in your face.

I think the wand is looking like a far better option right now :lol:
Auctions & Consignment for Historic Memorabilia and Collectibles
https://www.britannicauctions.com/magic-collectibles/

JFox

Postby JFox » March 11th, 2018, 12:09 pm

...this "squirting wand" could be used for any magician wanting to revive the Thurston "Water Fountains" stage illusion :-)

Return to “Platform & Stage Magic”